Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What's This In Here?, or, Things I Found In My Cerwin Vegas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: What's This In Here?, or, Things I Found In My Cerwin Vegas. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, for those who don't know the story, last fall I got myself a pair of

I found a guy on Craigslist who didn't want them because they were too big. He wanted to trade. So, I offered him a pair of

For some reason, he went through with the deal - even after he heard them, so I went home a happy customer.

When I got home, I fired up the and was mighty pleased.
But I heard something rattling around from one of the speakers! That's not good. So, on a hunch, I reached inside one of the ports, and lo, I withdrew a

!

What the hell? Who in his right mind would let a get into his ?!

Anyway, with the

gone, I happily went about my business.

So, where am I going with this? Just this evening, I was doing a test of my audio setup before I start wiring everything up. At the end of the testing, I happened to lay one of the on its side. And again, I heard something rattling!

So, again, I reach in.... and, I swear to god, I hope the former owner is punished in hell for this.... pulled out a

!!

Finally, sir - have you no shame!?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny. Mr. Green
I'm not sure I'd be sticking my hands in those ports any more without a pair of latex gloves on tho. Shocked

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:

I'm not sure I'd be sticking my hands in those ports any more without a pair of latex gloves on tho. Shocked

Yes... that did occur to me a few seconds after I extracted the bottle cap. Smile

It's kind of funny, though... all these guys tuning their bass traps, debating speaker design and placement of tweeters, kinds of amplifiers...

...meanwhile I'm over here pulling golf balls and beer caps out of my Vegas. Razz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the stuff that doesn't rattle that you don't want to touch.... but then, you will will never hear that stuff. If it were in there, it's already on ya. Shocked

Last edited by jkruger on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the things weren't full of asbestos or something. Well... if they were, it's too late anyway. The whole house would have been saturated ten minutes after they got hooked to the amp, anyway. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5$ that says the guy had a kid.
I was telling my co-worker about watching my 5 year old son "parking" his toys in the port of my paradigms and he told me a story of a second hand set of speakers he picked up that had a LOT of kids toys inside that caused them to buzz like a driver was shot.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That reminds me of my daughter when she was 3...about a million years ago (it seems) who deposited her pina-buda sammich in the VCR. 4 head Hi-Fi...and I JUST got the thing. Wasn't funny at the time. Shocked

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
hailtoby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son just turned one, and Ive already busted him jamming toys in my subs port. That and secretly hitting the A/B speaker button on my receiver, making Daddy wonder why his surround sound lost tons of fidelity over the last two weeks.
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats 'bout as bad as my nephews punching in the cones on all of the woofer in my B-I-C Venturis years ago. If i wouldn't have gone to jail, I'd have wrung their necks.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbfarmht wrote:
Thats 'bout as bad as my nephews punching in the cones on all of the woofer in my B-I-C Venturis years ago. If i wouldn't have gone to jail, I'd have wrung their necks.

I remember seeing that happen about 20 years ago at a local hi-fi shop. Little kid running around poking in the dust caps on all of the (expensive) 800 series B&W speakers. Few minutes later the owner going around with masking tape carefully pulling them all out. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a very dead and dried out packet of seeds in some speakers my uncle gave me - they'd been at my grandparents for ~15 years since he lived there.

So...what sort of seeds get hidden inside a speaker???
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: