Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Post drywall concrete cleanup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Post drywall concrete cleanup Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok, tomorrow they are coming back to put on a skim coat and on Monday they will be sanding. I am told they will remove all the waste, left over materials, scrape the floor and sweep the floors. Good job, but I am thinking this is far from a 'ready' condition for painting.

I'll first need to breakout the compressor and air out the two circuit breaker panels (covers off) as well as the structured wiring panel and the HVAC air handlers, then sweep up (after they did), vacuum, and then ... maybe ... mop.

I fear that I'll have to mop to get the floor clean enough for staining. I am not sure if a contractor that does acid-staining of concrete would clean this deep drywall mud or if I would be responsible, but I figured I could ask those that have walked these steps before me.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Post drywall concrete cleanup Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Ok, tomorrow they are coming back to put on a skim coat and on Monday they will be sanding. I am told they will remove all the waste, left over materials, scrape the floor and sweep the floors. Good job, but I am thinking this is far from a 'ready' condition for painting.

I'll first need to breakout the compressor and air out the two circuit breaker panels (covers off) as well as the structured wiring panel and the HVAC air handlers, then sweep up (after they did), vacuum, and then ... maybe ... mop.

I fear that I'll have to mop to get the floor clean enough for staining. I am not sure if a contractor that does acid-staining of concrete would clean this deep drywall mud or if I would be responsible, but I figured I could ask those that have walked these steps before me.

Most of the time you have just hired a drywaller to hang and finish rock.. anything past that is a bonus in my book..

You will surely have to mop the floor to make it ready for stain.. and any painter worth his salt will have a shopvac on hand to clean under the bottom edge of the rock and the electrical boxes... Plus he will lightly "wash" the walls in one way or another to remove any dust left over from sanding..

You would have to talk it over with the guy you have planned to stain your floor.. I would assume that he "could" clean the floor before doing his job.. But if he has to etch the concrete before staining, having the floor perfectly clean before he starts his process might not matter...

On any jobs I GC I have a guy that cleans the job (remodels with customer living on site) damn near spotless between each step.. (and leave any job "clean" at the end of each day) But any way you look at it.. while I think this is a key factor in a "good job" and would not do it any other way, the service ultimately is not free..

oh and use a shop vac when you can to clean drywall dust.. that lime is hard on ya and not matter where you blow it you have to pick it up sooner or later...

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have taken a couple of days off to play cleanup guru in the basement. I think I am looking for the following solution. Find a manly shop-vac that I can just outside the door of the walkout basement and attach 30-35' worth of hose and start vacuuming the floor of the post-sanding drywall dust.

This approach eliminates dust from just being disturbed and re-collecting on the basement floor. To do this, I think I am going to need to buy/rent a powerful shop-vac in order to have the suction needed (chrome-off-hitch power) for the length of hose needed. I guess I'll be hitting up Lowest and Home Cheapo to find something.

Once a given once-over is done I'll need to a) wipe down the walls where to allow for statically-attached dust to get moved off. Then I'll need to take a sturdy bristle broom to the floor and work loose the mud dropping marks that were scraped, but not fully removed. I figure if they are dry then it will be like working a hard chalk off the floor. Then vacuum again.

Let sit for a day or two and vacuum again. I may want to purchase or rent a commercial air cleaner to remove from the air any suspended particulates taking too long to settle and get removed via vacuuming. And in the last step I guess I'll mop.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, why get a Big shop vac? Get a small (2-3) gal and pull it around w/ ya. The small ones get plenty of suction. Get an xtra filter, and you'll be cool.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the floor is concrete and you have a wlakout door... Water works best anyway... A push broom and a squeegee is the way to go in my book for handling the biggest portion of the mess... I can't stand the frign dust...

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea wasn't that I needed a large volume capacity, but rather suction power. I bought a Bissell Garage Pro from Costco for $139. It came with a 32' long hose. Going to try to use it tomorrow, but today I am waiting on a vet to call me back about one of my cats.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turned out since I was acid-staining the floors the crew for that job was to use a wood sanding machine to polish the concrete and in turn removed the drywall mud from the floor along with everything else.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze Wan, you left us hanging for 9 years! LOL Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticipation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: