Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Speaker Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Speaker Gauge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
How do you determine what gauge speaker wire to use when setting up your HT speakers?

Is thicker better or is there a rule of thumb to use depending on what type of speaker you are using?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, 16 gauge is fine for any typical stereo/HT up to 50'. A lot of amps can't take larger wire than 16 gauge, so 14 gauge can actually end up with loose strands which can short out the amp.

I always use 16 gauge PVC jacketed stuff, I don'[t buy into the Monster crapola. THere's a couple of good 'is esoteric cable any good' threads over in the >$20K avs forum right now if you want a laugh.
timf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt, quick response as always mate Smile

I dont buy into the Monster debacle if I can help it but it is still good for a laugh when you do come across it.

I just bought a 50inch Pioneer Plasma last week and the sales guy tried his best to sell me a 2m Monster cable (latest and greatest apparently) for the insanely cheap pirce of.......$400 Aust dollars Shocked

He wasn't very happy when I couldn't stop laughing Laughing
Darren Wadsworth

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has a chart showing the proper guage to use. I have personally verified this information with many other sites.

Maximum Wire Lengths For TWO CONDUCTOR Copper Wire

Darren

Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good link! Link to wire gage table: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
timf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks guys
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timf wrote:
Thanks Curt, quick response as always mate Smile

I dont buy into the Monster debacle if I can help it but it is still good for a laugh when you do come across it.

I just bought a 50inch Pioneer Plasma last week and the sales guy tried his best to sell me a 2m Monster cable (latest and greatest apparently) for the insanely cheap pirce of.......$400 Aust dollars Shocked

He wasn't very happy when I couldn't stop laughing Laughing

If I were you, I'd have canceled the sale and taken my business elsewhere, rather than supporting a company that tries to scam its customers.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't really bother me, I know the guy was probably under instructions to promote the range as there were "Ask us about Monster" posters all over the place. I tend to negotiate pretty hard so the price of the TV was good enough that going elsewhere would have cost me more.

I think the uncontrolled laughter got my message across better than storming out Wink
Wombat

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a PS3 hookup kit that had an HDMI cable plus Toslink cable for $7 at a local grocery superstore. Not Monster, though. Smile

I run 12 gauge to the front speakers and subs, 16 gauge lamp cord to the rear speakers. The 12 gauge was from Costco, but the plastic started out smelly and has gotten sticky with time and the conductors have discoloured. There must be something a little nicer that is more stable. Take a look at the bulk cable selection at Home Depot, or buy an extension cord and lop the ends off.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I googled it, and Blue Jeans came right up. This is exactly what you need, nothing more, nothing less:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Just get it in 16 gauge. No need for the Starquad stuff, although the jacket tends to be a bit more flexible than the straight PVC stuff.

Canare, belden and Mogami are all very good cables.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rewired my HT a few years ago and bought Paradigm Signature speakers I needed ~250 feet or more of speaker wire. So did lot of research into what speaker wires they use in higher end setups where reasonably expensive speakers are used and you need 50+ feet for each of the 5 runs. So what do a lot of the installers use? Home Depot CL2 in-wall rated 12 gauge wire. Dirt cheap.

I ended up bi-wiring all 5 speakers (so closer to 500 feet of wire) which resulted in taking the gauge down from 12 to around 8 or 9 which is even better.

Total cost for around 500-600 feet was around $250. They also make 14, 16, and 18 gauge in-wall rated speaker wire too.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada the laws for wiring is stricter than in the US from what I understand. Wood frame buildings need what's called FT4, plenum ceilings need FT6. The FT (flame test) ratings do not apply in the US, so I just heard of an installation that got rejected locally by an electrical inspector where the suppliers shipped up wiring from the US. That doesn't fly in Canada..Smile
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
In Canada the laws for wiring is stricter than in the US from what I understand. Wood frame buildings need what's called FT4, plenum ceilings need FT6. The FT (flame test) ratings do not apply in the US, so I just heard of an installation that got rejected locally by an electrical inspector where the suppliers shipped up wiring from the US. That doesn't fly in Canada..Smile

Is that speaker wire or house wire?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any wiring that's installed behind walls/ceilings.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Any wiring that's installed behind walls/ceilings.

Looks like Canada and US just use different abbreviations. Canada uses FT where US uses UL. US cable companies also meet Canada requirements which are equal to US.

http://www.pacificcabling.com/Information/flame_test_ratings.htm

Looks more like an issue of kickbacks. Shocked
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys... In the US at least, you really have to specify whether you're talking about commercial or residential construction, and more specifically where the wire is going. There are different ratings and requirements for wire that's going behind a riser (wall) compared to wire that's going in a drop ceiling (plenum). For instance, wire that under no circumstances would be allowed above a drop ceiling in a commercial building might be fine in a residential wall. Codes vary by county, municipality and by state - though most are based mostly or in part on the NEC - the National Electrical Code (or ANSI/NFPA 70).

You don't want a wire above a drop ceiling in a commercial building - a space often used as the building's return air supply - that will give off really toxic fumes when it burns. You also don't want a wire in wall with a jacket that burns easily because it reduces the fire rating of the wall assembly. That's why you have cable designed and rated for just those situations. That's what "in-wall" rated cable is all about - fire spread and toxicity - and that's the CL2/CL3 ratings specify. It's all about how that jacket burns and what it gives off if it does.

There are also many more ratings than just CL2 and CL3 - and different (usually less stringent) standards for residential construction. Usually anything designed to commercial standards will also be fine for a residential application, although it may be more expensive than something that would only be suitable for a residential application.

Curt, I'd almost bet that the job you're talking about with the rejected wire, was not rejected because it was from the US "with lower standards", but more likely just because it was not rated for the specific commercial application. For instance, it may have been riser rated, but not plenum rated where it was actually going.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that commercial regulations are much higher the residential. The issue of US wire versis Canada wire is just funny. We also have to take into consideration the knowledge of the inspector as to changes in cable markings: http://www.belden.com/pdfs/Techpprs/Cable_Flamability_Ratings.swf .

And we all know what I meant by kickbacks. Smile
faradayblue

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used twin runs of Canare 4s11 to bi-wire all the speakers in my HT setup. This cable can be purchased with connectors from several ebay sellers. Gets quotes from all of them for the best price. Canare cable is specified for frequency response, is cost effective and is widely used for pro-audio setups. Go to www.canare.com and follow the links to audio cable. I've attached the spec sheet for the Quad star cable.

Canare Quad Star Cable.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Canare Quad Star Cable.pdf
 Filesize:  52.75 KB
 Downloaded:  508 Time(s)

Canare Cable Specs2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Canare Cable Specs2.pdf
 Filesize:  62.49 KB
 Downloaded:  613 Time(s)

Canare Cable Specs.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Canare Cable Specs.pdf
 Filesize:  82.41 KB
 Downloaded:  495 Time(s)

Last edited by faradayblue on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specified for frequency response? Right.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Curt, I'd almost bet that the job you're talking about with the rejected wire, was not rejected because it was from the US "with lower standards", but more likely just because it was not rated for the specific commercial application. For instance, it may have been riser rated, but not plenum rated where it was actually going.

SC

You're right of course. But the local electrical inspectors will not acknowledge any other markings on the wire. If it doesn't have an FT rating, it's rejected. If they catch it. If they care.

A big problem here is that they don't typically care. I've called in about places that use some local DJ that knows nothing about installs or electrical permits, to shut him down, I get ignored, yet when I get called out to pull a permit, I'm read the riot act. When I tell them why my calls about a different job site get ignored, they shrug their shoulders.

Funny how you need to be bonded and licensed to install an alarm system, not so with sound or video (generally).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: