Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Test Pattern Program UPDATE 3-29-08
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Test Pattern Program UPDATE 3-29-08 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I tried to address most of the things on your wish list. I try catch the rest a little later.

The latest version is available.

Download Here!

New features:
Diagonal lines.
Center Circles.
Corner Circles.
Ability to offset grid pattern.

Hotkeys:
S – double click Shows setup dialog box or
Page Up – Increase line intensity
Page Down – Decrease line intensity
R – Toggles Red on/off
G – Toggles Green on/off
B – Toggles Blue on/off
C – Toggles Center circles on/off
N – Toggles Corner circles on/off
D – Toggles Diagonal lines on/off
Esc – Exits program

Also if anyone would like the source I can post it too.

Mike

Last edited by MikeEby on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
kschmit2

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you make the crosshatch pattern adjustable in such a way that you can adjust the number of lines and line spacing independently for both horizontal and vertical (i.e. also non-square e.g.)?

That could be useful to line up the crosshatch pattern with the internal patterns to do e.g. point convergence on a NEC PJ using the source image, with the adjustment points then aligned to the grid from your tool

Kai
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kschmit2 wrote:
could you make the crosshatch pattern adjustable in such a way that you can adjust the number of lines and line spacing independently for both horizontal and vertical (i.e. also non-square e.g.)?

That could be useful to line up the crosshatch pattern with the internal patterns to do e.g. point convergence on a NEC PJ using the source image, with the adjustment points then aligned to the grid from your tool

Kai

New version from above links. Let me know what you think.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added some hot keys to the test pattern.

R - Toggles Red On/Off
G - Toggles Green On/Off
B - Toggles Blue On/Off

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh-weeeeet! Thanks for the freebie Mike! It's going to snow, AGAIN! this weekend so I think I'll tackle a couple things that I've put off for too long on my 8500.

HEY BARRY!!! I'm FINALLY going to install the 145's and your plates! Shocked Laughing (It's been what...a year? since I got them from you?) Mr. Green The King of Procrastinators!!

This pattern tool will be a nice addition to the toolbox.

Greg
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, how about some diagonal lines and circles as options?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino wrote:

Not a problem, like a big X from corner to corner? I was thinking five circles top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left & center. The center size would be adjustable independently and would not move while the outer circles could be moved closer to the corners like the resolution panels. The sizes would all track together on the outer circles.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

That's nice! I use a similar grid program, but it has a 15 second splash screen you have to wait on every time you open it. That gets tiresome. I'll definitely start using yours.

Here's a link to the program. It has a lot of setup options (right click). They may give you some ideas: http://www.dallas-music.com/align.exe
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a slew of vid utilities here:
http://www.execulink.com/~impact/uteslist.htm

I've played with a few of them but I was looking for a nice simple one like Mike made. The others are still nice to have on the laptop in the toolbox for that annual tune-up, and time permitting, to compare the results of one to another. The problem with the ones in the link I provided is they're all pretty old and deal mainly with 480x resolutions.

Greg
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer simple programs like Mike's, and that's why I've used the one I linked to for years. I don't need/use all that other stuff.

This is the grid I use. I like my grid simple as well.

Gino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Gino wrote:

Not a problem, like a big X from corner to corner? I was thinking five circles top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left & center. The center size would be adjustable independently and would not move while the outer circles could be moved closer to the corners like the resolution panels. The sizes would all track together on the outer circles.

Mike

Just make sure to be able to toggle the circles on and off independantly.

Also, the big X will work. What would be better is if you could divide the screen into 4 (horizontal/vertical midline), and then put an X into each rectangle.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up/Down on the number of lines is reversed for me. I want up to increase the number of lines.

It would be nice if you could add an 'aspect ratio square' as well. So you could get a green (or any color) 16:9 square on a 16:10 screen for example. Or any other ratio. Preferably of you could input decimal values for any aspect ratio. Like 2.35:1
It would be nice if you could change the size of it as well.

Also could you add the option to gave the settings box opaque instead of translucent. Makes redrawing the image much faster.

Aldo a focus pattern would be nice. Just dots where the crosshatch pattern crosses. Maybe combine it with the ability to choose color of the hatches and the dots independently. Could be useful.

Also buttons below the slider to quickly jump to from 0 to 100 IRE in 10 IRE steps. (maybe map 10 IRE to the '1' button 20 IRE to '2' and up to 100 IRE to '0')
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Hey Mike,

That's nice! I use a similar grid program, but it has a 15 second splash screen you have to wait on every time you open it. That gets tiresome. I'll definitely start using yours.

Here's a link to the program. It has a lot of setup options (right click). They may give you some ideas: http://www.dallas-music.com/align.exe

Thanks Phil, that gave me some good ideas.

David_Web wrote:
Up/Down on the number of lines is reversed for me. I want up to increase the number of lines.

It would be nice if you could add an 'aspect ratio square' as well. So you could get a green (or any color) 16:9 square on a 16:10 screen for example. Or any other ratio. Preferably of you could input decimal values for any aspect ratio. Like 2.35:1
It would be nice if you could change the size of it as well.

Also could you add the option to gave the settings box opaque instead of translucent. Makes redrawing the image much faster.

Aldo a focus pattern would be nice. Just dots where the crosshatch pattern crosses. Maybe combine it with the ability to choose color of the hatches and the dots independently. Could be useful.

Also buttons below the slider to quickly jump to from 0 to 100 IRE in 10 IRE steps. (maybe map 10 IRE to the '1' button 20 IRE to '2' and up to 100 IRE to '0')

David,
Your are very right, the Up/Down buttons were backward, its fixed now good catch!

The aspect ratio and dot patterns are also good ideas. I will catch it on the next drop.

I tried to opimize the redraw. I think its much faster now. The only option I see for dialog boxes its opacity. I have that set to 70% I could make it an option to turn it off.

I added HotKeys PageUp & PageDown to step the line intensity up/down in 20 bit steps.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: try to make the dot patterns use 1-pixel dots Smile

That's very nice when checking/adjusting focus, convergence and astig.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kschmit2 wrote:
Mike: try to make the dot patterns use 1-pixel dots Smile

That's very nice when checking/adjusting focus, convergence and astig.

Kai,
Should it be in a separate tab page (Pattern) or part of the grid pattern?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want it together with the #hatch but a separate tab as well would make fore easy switching.

Also 0-100 IRE (%) would be nice bound to 1-0 buttons.

Also keeping the offset buttons pressed should slowly ramp the pattern away so you don't have to click a million times.

btw how do you store the last settings used?
I hope it's not cluttering my registry.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Web wrote:
I would want it together with the #hatch but a separate tab as well would make fore easy switching.

Also 0-100 IRE (%) would be nice bound to 1-0 buttons.

Also keeping the offset buttons pressed should slowly ramp the pattern away so you don't have to click a million times.

btw how do you store the last settings used?
I hope it's not cluttering my registry.

Yeah, your right about million times, I didn't know if anyone would use that feature.

It stores about 30 keys, all in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Test Pattern

At some point I may move it to an XML file in the “user settings\appdata folder”. I had a class already written to save in the registry so I took the easy way out. I would be surprised if 30 registry key would make much difference.

I need to find the documentation because 0 IRE is not 0 bits nor is 100 IRE 255.

Also do we want the background to be 0 IRE or 0 bits or adjustable?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know IRE is just a relative value between 0 and 100%.
Lets just do it from 10 to 100% (1 being 10% and 0 being 100%) all in a linear fashion from 0 to 100%. If I understand it right that's how it should appear on screen.

I know 30 keys won't matter at all but 100 apps adding soon will. It's more about principle then actual matter. And the app won't be 100% portable if it leave things behind. XML, INI or the exe itself won't matter. All the future settings and features will be carries over to the next computer that way.

Adjustable background seems nice. Might be easier to converge that way. red bg and blue #. Could be useful. r,g or b background and black # might be useful for focusing phosphor grain. Fully adjustable in intensity to minimize wear.

Are you up to making this the one stop app for test patterns?

For focusing pattern would a 3x3 px box with empty middle be useful? Maybe adjustable color for center vs 'ring' pixels. Might be useful for converging as well.

Just throwing a lot of useful/useless ideas out there. Together we all might create the best test pattern app there is.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might take a break from this project for a few days. I want to start on a rewrite of YXY so I can stretch 1920X800 to fill the screen on 2:40 AR films. I would like to make the AR control work more like TheaterTek.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the dot pattern I like a full screen of dots (basically like the cross-hatch, but dots at the line intersections instead of lines).

To do astig or focus I like to have as little as possible on the screen, and the 1-pixel dots serve that purpose very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: