Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Argyll CMS, ICC profiler/ monitor calibrator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajdude

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok it was a driver issue...... We HAVE to install drivers........Argyll's own USB drivers for your device.....otherwise it does not work.

instructions here:
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html

Quote:
In XP:
Plug the instrument that you want to install the the computer.
Right click on the "My Computer" item in the Start menu and select "Manage".
Click on "Device Manager"
Locate the device in the device manager. It may be underneath one of the top level "USB" items.
Right click on the device and choose "Update Driver Software..."
For "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software ?" Select "No, not this time" and "Next"
Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) " then "Next"
In the next screen, select the "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" button, then click "Next".
On the next screen "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware", the existing driver for the device should be listed. Click "Have Disk".
On the next screen use the brows dialog to locate the directory argyll\libusbw below where you installed Argyll, and select
the appropriate .inf file for the device. Click "Open".
Back on the "Install From Disk" dialog, click "OK".
Back in the "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware", click "Next".
A "Please wait while the wizard installs the software" dialog will be shown.
You should get the final screen "Completing the Hardware Update Wizard". Click "Finish".
The Argyll driver will now be used to access the device.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: my results, strange gamma curve Reply with quote

OK I calibrated my dell monitor with Argyll. Commands I used:

to Run cal:
dispcal -v -y c -q l -w 0.313,0.329 Dell1_cal-1
I just used the 7 option, nothing else.

To load the cal file:
dispwin -v -d 1 Dell1_cal-1.cal

Take a look at the before and after readings taken with HCFR.
Looks very good.
Compared to iMatch 3 this makes my monitor not as bright. after iMatch it was VERY bright.

I dont get the Gamma.
The curve is strange. It seems that Argyll is after some other curve. I ran it twice.....with same results.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok looking at Argyll's docs:

Quote:
-g gamma Set the target response curve gamma. This is normally an exponential curve (output = input ^gamma), and defaults to 2.4 on MSWindows and Linux/Unix (which is typical for a CRT type display), and 1.8 on a Macintosh (OS X). Four pre-defined curves can be used as well: the sRGB colorspace response curve, which is an exponent curve with a straight segment at the dark end and an overall response of approximately gamma 2.2 (-gs), the L* curve, which is the response of the CIE L*a*b* perceptual colorspace (-gl). the REC 709 video standard response curve (-g709) and the SMPTE 240M video standard response curve (-g240)

Note that a real display can't reproduce any of these ideal curves, since it will have a non-zero black point, whereas all the ideal curves assume zero light at zero input. In the case of a gamma curve target, dispcal uses an actual technical power curve shape that aims for the same relative output at 50% input as the ideal gamma power curve. To allow for the non-zero black level of a real display, by default dispcal will offset and scale the target curve so that zero input gives the actual black level of the display (input offset). This ensures the most visually even progression from display minimum, but this behavior can be changed using the -f option (see below).

Note that many color spaces are encoded with, and labeled as having a gamma of approximately 2.2 (ie. sRGB, REC 709, SMPTE 240M), but are actually intended to be displayed on a display with a typical CRT gamma of 2.4. This is because this 2.2 gamma is a source gamma encoding in bright viewing conditions such as a television studio, while typical display viewing conditions are quite dark by comparison, and a contrast expansion of (approx.) gamma 1.1 is desirable to make the images look as intended. So if you are displaying video through the calibration, just setting the gamma curve to REC 709 is probably not what you want! What you probably want to do, is to set the gamma curve to about gamma 2.4, so that the contrast range is expanded appropriately, or alternatively use REC 709 but also use the -a parameter to specify the ambient viewing conditions, so that dispcal can make an appropriate contrast enhancement. If your instrument is capable of measuring ambient light levels, then you can do so during the interactive display control adjustment.

It is hard to know whether sRGB or Apple Macintosh computers should also have such an adjustment, since it is not really possible to know whether colors labeled as being in such a colorspace are actually encoded in that gamma with the expectation that they will be displayed on a display with that actual response, or whether they are intended to be displayed on a display that contrast expands by a power 1.1. Both situations might be the case, depending on how source material is created!

I think HCFR is 2.2 and that may be the reason why the gamma curve looks different.
Any comments?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Argyll CMS, ICC profiler/ monitor calibrator Reply with quote

the -B option was giving me errors, it needs some parameters after that just -B does not work.

Same thing can be done my using a simple -F parameter.

David_Web wrote:
I also added -B to the argument to make the background black and added some more arguments.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my final command :

dispcal -v -y c -q l -w 0.313,0.329 -F -gs Dell1_cal-2

display goes dark, just press enter
then press 7.
Wait until you get your desktop back.
apply the cal file and enjoy !

Simple!

PS: -q l parameter should be omitted in final application runs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"dispcal -v -y c -q l -w 0.313,0.329 Dell1_cal-1"

I'd use -y l for LCD as I guess it's a LCD monitor?
I'd also add -G 2.2 (or -G 2.4) depending on what gamma you want.

to be honest I don't get how -f works. Or rather I don't know what he means. If 1 or 0 turns it on or off or if 0.5 is off.

When you set the whitepoint with Argyll it makes no compromise, it lowers the other colors till it get to the right point.

-k is also an option you might want to set according to taste.

I use Huey as a sensor and as I already had the software installed i maybe used that. I don't know.
I also had a problem with it making the image too green. I think the sensor is too sensitive on how you aim it. Ill have to try it some more.
Maybe with a home built diffuser.

Ill look at the readings tomorrow. I'm a little short on time right now.

*edit* No -q should be set to 'h' as it defaults to medium otherwise.
*edit2* -gl is the L*a*b* color space so I would not use it. Specify gamma by -G instead.
At least in my opinion.
rajdude

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK after playing around with Argyll for quite a long time here are my comments:

1. On my G70, with Argyll's calibration the image's black level is raised......all blacks are now grey-ish. I get excellent shadow detail but no true black. This defeats the purpose of having a CRT projector. Is there a way to tell Argyll not to raise the black level?

2. The results for low IREs are not good, they are very greenish.
Is there a way to manually change the .cal file?

3. Only while calibrating my CRT projector, and only while using the -F option (makes the background black) dispcal gets stuck at a red patch, I think it is #25 or something. The error is "no data from sensor" or something similar. I have to reboot or disconnect / reconnect the USB cable to get rid of this problem.
Strangely, the -F works fine on all other displays like LCD or plasma.

4. On my plasma the green primary is way off. It is much more saturated than reference.
I was hoping that Argyll, being a CMS, will correct it......it does not. What's up? I am doing something wrong?

5. If running dispcal and option 2, I check the whitepoint color temp.......Argyll reports that my patch is way off. It tells me to increase the red. With HCFR I can see that the whitepoint is spot on! Even my eyes can tell that it is nearly perfect. Why does Argyll think that the readings are not close to 6500?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Have you checked -f and -k? They handle how Argyll treats black level. Or maybe the instrument don't read them right. Ill have to explore this more myself now that I have the option to test a little easier.

2. Odd. I get a little green overall myself. But it's even across the range. You can open the file with notepad and edit if you want to.

3. Have you disabled power savings for the USB device? There have been a lot of problem with just that IIRC.

4. You can not move primaries with a simple LUT. You need a 3x3 matrix for that. ICC aware apps like photoshop can do it.

5. No idea. I don't have a sensor that works with HCFR so I can't verify. Maybe 1.0.2 solve this.

BTW version 1.0.2 is out. I have yet to try it but Ill report back when I have.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I had posted all these questions to the Argyll mailing list.......Graeme and others there helped me with most of these issues.

Right now I am battling with the HTPC screwing around with the PC vs Video levels of brightness.

BTW, 1.02 works fine.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could rescale the LUT and let it convert 16-235 to 0-255
You just let it "crush" black and white so to speak. Have to find an easy way to transform the LUT.

BTW what was their answer to your problems? Mainly to 1.

http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/
seems nice enough. I'm about to test it right now.

*edit*

There seems to be a huge difference between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 then it comes to calibration result. The LUT curves is noticeably different. I can't verify which version is tight though. 1.0.1 is greener and 1.0.2 is redder. Which is white? I have no idea.
Maybe he changed the code for Huey only.
Do you see any difference?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: