Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

DVDO VP50/VP50pro HDMI in and RGBHV out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: DVDO VP50/VP50pro HDMI in and RGBHV out Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
input any device be it component, RGBHV, yes even HDMI with HDCP, etc. and still have the RGBHV output from the DVDO scalers 100% active, no tricks, gimmicks or add-on components

this is best done with the VP50pro due to its high end much improved analog bnc RGBHV output which is THX scaler certified and has 10-bit 300 MHz Instrumentation Quality DACs

so who would like to see this? Very Happy Wink

-Gary Murrell

Last edited by Gary M. on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very cool Gary, I hate HDCP with a passion... This is the reason I still use an HTPC I love the simplicy of the signal chain my HTPC is very simple box, I only use it for BR and HD-DVD playback.

HDCP does not apply to RGBHV anyway that is why a XBox 360s and HTPCs could get away with it.

Will a VP50Pro output 1080p@72Hz?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean, I am looking myself to eliminate HDCP as much as possible and will be doing so with HD-SDI, the above and etc., I will use HDMI just for audio

this would make a scaler a very nice addition for many systems, no need for strippers, converters, add-on devices or PJ cards Wink

the VP50pro is limited to a 175mhz pixel clock, not sure if 1080p/72 will fit in that or not to be honest, never tried it or had a system capable of even bothering to try it Very Happy

-Gary
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary M. wrote:

the VP50pro is limited to a 175mhz pixel clock, not sure if 1080p/72 will fit in that or not to be honest, never tried it or had a system capable of even bothering to try it Very Happy

-Gary

175MHz should work for 1920X800 @72Hz for scope movies; it’s all you need anyway. What resolution do you use for 1:85 /1:78.

I really like the idea of CIH, it just seems like such a waste of the tubes. Are you seeing much wear on your XG with your CIH setup?

I like the idea of a blend but it’s a lot of work and $$$, sad to say but I must be honest with myself I think we are getting close to the end of rein of CRT's as king. Let me be clear, I’m not ready to jump ship yet, but in 2 years….I can’t say.

Does the VP50pro have CMS for correcting the primaries on digitals like the RS2? If it does the Pro might be a nice gateway piece of equipment to move into digital down the road.

One of the features of the VP50pro is :
Progressive Cadence Detection™ of 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p input signals – Allows source-locked framerate output of film-based content (24/48/72Hz)

Could you provide a link or describe what that means?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I do not like film refresh rates, have tried them many times on many systems and just can't stand it, some can't stand 60hz either, personal preference I guess

no CMS on the pro. JVC released a rebadge of the pro with on board CMS to correct the RS2, hopefully soon on the VP50pro, my 1352 is just a smidgen off in yellow and magenta

did you catch my review over at the HTF comparing the RS2 to the 1352 ? Wink :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/display-devices-tvs-projectors/271226-htf-official-hardware-review-jvc-dla-hd100-rs2-d-ila-projector.html

the cadence detection finds the film signal in those prog. 60hz resolutions and makes a 100% stable error free 24/48/72 output, it is locked and 100% on the money always, Lumagen may be ahead of DVDO in some areas, but other areas DVDO is way ahead

-Gary
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: DVDO VP50/VP50pro HDMI in, RGBHV out (HDCP Bypass) Reply with quote

Gary M. wrote:
input any device be it component, RGBHV, yes even HDMI with HDCP, etc. and still have the RGBHV output from the DVDO scalers 100% active, no tricks, gimmicks or add-on components

this is best done with the VP50pro due to its high end much improved analog bnc RGBHV output which is THX scaler certified and has 10-bit 300 MHz Instrumentation Quality DACs

-Gary Murrell

I've got a VP50 Pro on the way if you'd like me to demo it for the meet. I could do a direct comparison to the moome HDMI ISS card.

Cliff
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when is the date of the meet Cliffy?, I will try and make that happen for you guys

-Gary
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 2nd Gary.

Cliff
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem at all, it will be done

would like to get a VP50pro with HD-SDI output for the zilla to William as well, and a few HD-SDI players of course

-Gary
jamsys

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DVDO VP50/VP50pro HDMI in, RGBHV out (HDCP Bypass) Reply with quote

Gary M. wrote:

-Gary Murrell

I have a setup similar.... Do you want to share how you did this as I hate having to use the HD Fury in the chain...
audvid

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello?
what is the progress on this rgbhv out? Can vp50 really do this at 1080p? I think I read some where that certain processors can iutput 1080i rgbhv and ignore hdcp.
I have tried a hdcp stripper (dvi to dvi) and got 1080p rgbhv out of a lumagen vision pro
jamsys

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audvid wrote:
Hello?
what is the progress on this rgbhv out? Can vp50 really do this at 1080p? I think I read some where that certain processors can iutput 1080i rgbhv and ignore hdcp.
I have tried a hdcp stripper (dvi to dvi) and got 1080p rgbhv out of a lumagen vision pro

I am kind of doing that now, but have to use the HDFury... I take the input from my PS3 into the fury and go into the RGBHV of my VP50 and use the RGBHV output to drive 1080p...

I would love to just run HDMI into the VP50 and out the RGBHV w/o the fury...

I had a VP30 that had 'special' firmware that allowed this, but thats gone now...
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audvid wrote:
Hello?

rigfht but what gary is doing is bypassing the chips HDCP encryption, not sure if thats done in the mpeg chip or after, if after its possible to take the info just like fron an SDI mod and then bring it back to the original path after the step that adds HDCP.
So what Gary is saying either He or JVB digital the guys hes helping and testing products for has found away to do this. If so I have a feeling mnay VP50Pro owners will be sending thier VP's to get this done. Now if they can have this done to the lumagens too!! One less box to deal with ! if you cant get your hands on moomes HDMI input cards.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys I will have more info on this soon, as you can imagine this is something that I most likely won't be talking about "everywhere" and to much degree

this is a hardware mod, that enables any device to be input with or without HDCP and output via the high-end RGBHV on the DVDO units, the VP50pro has the best RGBHV output of the bunch as it passed THX scaler certification which does mean something without giving details that I can't Wink

DVDO units do a very nice 1080p output via RGBHV Wink they have extremely high-end output buffers and D/A chips Thumbs Up

you guys could get around all this easily by using HD-SDI sources, sorry I had to say it Mr. Green Mr. Green

-Gary
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Guess I wont be seeing this for the meet next weekend.......
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:

sorry Cliffy, I don't think I can make that happen, I really wanted to Sad

-Gary
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary M. wrote:
overclkr wrote:

-Gary

You can, Ken has my VP50 Pro. Isn't he pretty close to you?
Gary M.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Gary M. wrote:
overclkr wrote:

-Gary

I think Ken is rather close in IN, I would be glad to do it Cliff, but the mod isn't completed yet, I hoped to have it ready in time for your meet, but you know how things go Thumbs Down

-Gary
jamsys

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Gary M. wrote:
overclkr wrote:

-Gary

Where abouts near chgo are you? I am up in highland park... I have a VP50 (non pro) and could get em done together???

I will toss in my HDFury for free if we can make this happen!

I had a VP30 that had a software enginerring bypass for HDCP, but I sold that unit... The only bad thing was that once that firmware was in there, I couldnt upgrade any new code from DVDO.. I hope this 'fix' still allows for software updates...
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary M. wrote:

Just a quick correction, they top out at 165Mhz. 1080p72 can still be achieved though as follows:

H-SHIFT 64
H-SIZE 1920
H-FRONT 32
H-SYNC 32
H-BACK 32
V-SHIFT 29
V-SIZE 1080
V-FRONT 3
V-SYNC 5
V-BACK 29

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: