Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

[Will Smith]I have GOT to get me one of THESE![/Will Smith]

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: [Will Smith]I have GOT to get me one of THESE![/Will Smith] Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

30,000 lumens-a-lovin'!

Anybody want to calculate the foot-lamberts you'd get on a 12 foot screen? Screw a gray screen for contrast... just project on the velvet! Or, alternately, go with the silver torus, and wear a welding mask! Thumbs Up

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a tan comming on.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 lbs too. Makes our CRT projectors seem light!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know 1600:1 CR seems pretty bad, don't care what you are projecting on colors go wacky if its not white. Probably need a hell of a hush box and cooling system too.

Of any digital I would go with an HT5000 if $$$ is no object.

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I don't think Perisoft or anyone else is suggesting that thing for HT - that would be beyond stupid. First of all, as Mike mentioned, the contrast ratio sucks. Next, the thing draws 8400w. Wow.

Still, power draw isn't the amazing thing - this is: Dissipation is rated at 25100 BTU/h. Shocked I could literally heat my house with the heat dissipated from this machine. You would literally need a separate A/C zone (with serious additional cooling capacity) to cool the equipment ROOM this thing sat in. A hush box would not only be impractical, it would be nearly impossible since you'd either have to have a super-cooled air supply (which would be bad) or a super-high velocity (which would also be bad).

But, on the plus side, it looks like it's all set up right out of the box with edge-blending capability. That's cool! It is also designed with physical mounts for stacking two projectors. Can you imagine STACKING a couple of these things?

Retail is $127,500, but these guys have them listed for $106,999:
http://shopmiracle.stores.yahoo.net/barcoxlmh25.html

Unfortunately, that's without a lens, lamp or mount. With a lens ($7500), lamp ($1250), a mount and shipping, the total comes to just over $117,000. Hmmm... Now, where'd I put my damn Amex card?

Smile

Damn, I wonder what the Yahoo percentage is for that online store for a sale that size?

The HT5000 would probably also be my choice if the money stork dropped a bag at my house. In fact, I'd probably just duplicate Art's whole projection setup. Of course, I'd need a new house because a 14-foot scope screen literally wouldn't fit in my basement anywhere with enough throw to actually project anything on it.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and brightness...
- A 12 ft-wide 2:1 screen would have 72 sqft.
- 30000 lumens / 72 sqft = 416 fL on a 12' x 6' 1.0 gain screen

Smile

Yes, completely insane.

Now, to work it backwards, if you were shooting for 20fL (hey, why not?), then 20 = 30000/x. x = 1500 sqft, then. So, we could go to a 50'x25' screen and still have 20fl... at screen gain 1.0. More likely, you'd project on a 30-40' wide screen and have over 40fL to compete with a bunch of ambient light. These two scenarios are what this machine is really designed for.

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The HT5000 would probably also be my choice if the money stork dropped a bag at my house. In fact, I'd probably just duplicate Art's whole projection setup. Of course, I'd need a new house because a 14-foot scope screen literally wouldn't fit in my basement anywhere with enough throw to actually project anything on it.

SC

No, that is just silly excess. The ONLY reason to have an HT5000 is big dick bragging rights. Other than brightness, projectors near 1/10th the price perform very closely to it overall. You don't really need much more than a 10-12 foot screen in a home theater unless again, you are trying to show off.

So, would I spend an extra $45,000 to be able to show off? Not even close if I had the money. I could not in good conscience spend money on grossly wasteful things only for ego. Many purchases have a net benefit (give people jobs, raise standard of living, etc). A $50,000 projector does not do that any better than a $5000 projector. No more jobs, etc are created for a $50,000 projector than a $5000 projector. So, I think I'd settle for the $5000 projector and try to help a few kids in this world not die from starvation or disease tonight.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

No, that is just silly excess. The ONLY reason to have an HT5000 is big dick bragging rights. Other than brightness, projectors near 1/10th the price perform very closely to it overall. You don't really need much more than a 10-12 foot screen in a home theater unless again, you are trying to show off.

So, would I spend an extra $45,000 to be able to show off? Not even close if I had the money. I could not in good conscience spend money on grossly wasteful things only for ego. Many purchases have a net benefit (give people jobs, raise standard of living, etc). A $50,000 projector does not do that any better than a $5000 projector. No more jobs, etc are created for a $50,000 projector than a $5000 projector. So, I think I'd settle for the $5000 projector and try to help a few kids in this world not die from starvation or disease tonight.

So are you taking about an RS2 on a 12 foot wide screen? Would that be bright enough? I didn't think you should go over 10 at the very MAX with an RS2.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:

So are you taking about an RS2 on a 12 foot wide screen? Would that be bright enough? I didn't think you should go over 10 at the very MAX with an RS2.

Mike

I said 10-12 because the RS2 would have to be on the lower end (around 10). Others "near" 1/10th the price could pull it off--especially some of the now (relatively) cheap 3 chip 720p DLP machines.

I'm playing with a digi in a 2 row theater on a 9.5' wide CIH screen. Not sure why you really need to go more than 10'. Most people really only "need" single row theaters and even under 9.5' is fine for those.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Dave but your post is just pure bull****. Art LOVES film. He and his wife love to have friends, family, etc. over to the house to watch movies. They love to entertain. Further, he's a true enthusiast. Is some of it bragging rights for him? Maybe, but that's what makes this hobby and so many others fun - the quest to find and obtain the very best you can with whatever resources you have available.

What about seating? What if you have lots of friends, family, and like to entertain? I don't think a theater like Art's with 13 seats is in any way excessive. Could he have "gotten by" with an RS2 and a 10' wide screen? Maybe, but then wold that have been much of an upgrade over his 8' screen? In my opinion, no. I'm serious - until you sit in his theater, and see that 14'-wide scope screen, you just can't imagine it. And 720p would VASTLY inferior to his machine, and IMHO totally inadequate for that screen size.

By your logic, why on earth would anyone ever buy an F430, Murciélago, or Saleen S7 when a Corvette ZR1 or even a Z06 would offer most of the performance at 1/5 to 1/10 the price? Hell, why would need to buy a Saab, when there are some nice domestics which offer most of the performance for less money? Why do you have a more aggressive performance-oriented Saab - would that be big dick bragging rights? Or, is it just because you're an enthusiast?

Assuming a guy is already doing whatever philanthropy he sees fit with the money he's earned for himself, there is no damn reason he can't spend it on whatever he pleases - whether you think it's "unnecessary" or not.

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I'm sorry, Dave but your post is just pure bull****.

Pure bull****, huh? Oh, I stand corrected.

ecrabb wrote:
Art LOVES film. He and his wife love to have friends, family, etc. over to the house to watch movies. They love to entertain. Further, he's a true enthusiast. Is some of it bragging rights for him? Maybe, but that's what makes this hobby and so many others fun - the quest to find and obtain the very best you can with whatever resources you have available.

So? Not relavant to my issue.

ecrabb wrote:
What about seating? What if you have lots of friends, family, and like to entertain?

Well, if you give a crap about anyone but yourself, you all go to the local multiplex or do other activities not related to showing off.

ecrabb wrote:
By your logic, why on earth would anyone ever buy an F430, Murciélago, or Saleen S7 when a Corvette ZR1 or even a Z06 would offer most of the performance at 1/5 to 1/10 the price?

Yep. That is what I'm saying. Those cars are past the point of diminishing returns and that money could do better things.

ecrabb wrote:
Assuming a guy is already doing whatever philanthropy he sees fit with the money he's earned for himself, there is no damn reason he can't spend it on whatever he pleases - whether you think it's "unnecessary" or not.

Yep. It is up to everyone to decide. I'm just arguing where the point of diminishing returns are. The point at which that money could do more good. You are correct--no one has to care about dying kids or other moral issues. If someone ranks showing off above human suffering, that is their business. I'm just pointing out that it is perhaps not the best moral position. Perhaps I should have painted the issue more clearly.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You completely ignored my references to your Saab. You could easily drive a much less expensive, but similar performing car and in doing so would be able to donate a good chunk of change to "dying kids or other moral issues." Yet, you didn't. You chose to use your resources to buy a fast car instead - which clearly shows where YOUR priorities lie. Then, to top it all off, you denigrate others spending habits and rationalize your own by talking about "diminishing returns". Please.

Could you explain to me how you're not a hypocrite?

SC
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

I said 10-12 because the RS2 would have to be on the lower end (around 10). Others "near" 1/10th the price could pull it off--especially some of the now (relatively) cheap 3 chip 720p DLP machines.

I'm playing with a digi in a 2 row theater on a 9.5' wide CIH screen. Not sure why you really need to go more than 10'. Most people really only "need" single row theaters and even under 9.5' is fine for those.

Dave,
Question I already have 3 rows, and 12 seat and they have all been full. I agree CIH is totally cool and at some point that is where I want to be, and 9.5' wide is very decent for scope 2:40, but for 1:85 it would be smaller then 92" wide I have now. It seems like a step backwards for about 1/2 of what I watch.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'd be happy to have ceilings that high to work with. Laughing

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

In my room, the scenario you present would be PERFECT. Right now, my 96x54 makes scope stuff maybe a little on the small side. Not bad - just a bit small. 16:9 stuff on the other hand is a little too big vertically - especially with my low ceiling. A 9' or so CIH setup would be perfect, because it would make the scope stuff a little bigger, while making the 16:9 stuff a little smaller.

I would do a 9' CIH setup in a heartbeat if it didn't make things so damn complicated and/or much more expensive.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post this this morning. Here's the power connector on this big SOB.

If you've never seen that style of connector, that grey square outline is close to the size of a double-gang switch plate - probably 4 inches square or so... You could probably almost put a baseball inside the blue or red sleeve if the connectors weren't there... Just so you have a feel for the scale of this thing!!!

Shocked Very Happy

SC

Barco_HD30_power.jpg
 Description:
The power connector... on a projector!
 Filesize:  63.11 KB
 Viewed:  19472 Time(s)

Barco_HD30_power.jpg

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAW! They's at it again. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Could you explain to me how you're not a hypocrite?

The great thing about hypocrisy is that it's self-justifying. To wit: "My hypocritical views are not hypocritical. They're only hypocritical when other people have them."

Wrap that around your noggin a few times.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

In the words of my favorite deceased relative who always drove very basic vehicles, "when I want to show off I take them to see my plane".

Be willing to bet that Art employs more folks than most Americans. I would also guess that the construction of his incredible HT took the work of many skilled tax-paying personnel.

I'll bet he also pays property tax on the sq. footage of his his HT!!

Don't know if you have been to Michigan lately, but a tax haven it ain't!
Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original topic, I envisioned the 'auxiliary nuclear' scene from Christmas Vacation when I saw the power consumption of that beast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: