Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need help with left side of screen being chopped off

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widescreen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Need help with left side of screen being chopped off Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Sony 1272 projector. I just got an HDFury and an RTC2200. I am replacing an old Moome external box (about 2 years old) which seemed to work fine with my new Samsung BR-P1500 blu-ray player.

When I first plugged the HDFury and RTC2200 in-line, the picture was shifted to the left. I've adjusted the projector settings to move the picture back. However, the left side is still chopped off. For example, when I look at the Samsung logo in the BRD player, it's in the middle of the screen but there is more picture visible on the right side than the left.

I moved JP5 to JP6 so I could use the H-Sync and H-Shift pots. What I've discovered is that there is a tipping point where the H-Shift will cause the picture to go from being viewable to being scrambled. If I then move the pot slightly back the other direction, the picture is absolutely perfect (including the width) for about 1-2 seconds and then the picture jumps back to having the left side chopped off again.

I went into the projector settings and changed the Clamp from Auto to H/C but I can't tell that made any difference. The other 2 settings are SonG and H.P but those both make the picture so dark I can't even see it and it doesn't look like the width changes at all.

Note: I'm current running the BRD player at 1080i which is the same resolution I was using with the Moome box.

Help me Crescendo-Systems forum. You're my only hope! Mr. Green

Last edited by Widescreen on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Widescreen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other data point: When I first turn on the Blu-ray player, the screen is perfect (showing the Samsung wallpaper). Then the unit stops sending a video signal for 3 or 4 seconds and when it comes back, the left side is chopped off. The briefly on, then off then back on phenomenon happened when I had the Moome box but the picture didn't shift at all when it came back on. Man, this is frustrating. In an attempt to fix it, I've completely messed up my geometry so I'll probably have to go redo it all if I can get this left side thing fixed.
Widescreen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it looks like the problem is solved. It wasn't a problem with the RTC2200 but it was (sort of) caused by the HDFury. I wanted to document my solution here for future reference.

Apparently when the BRD player was booting, it was checking the max resolution provided by my HDMI device (the HDFury) and was setting the resolution to 1080P. My projector apparently doesn't like 1080P too well and that was causing the left side truncation. When I was going through the settings on the BRD player I just happened to notice it was set to 1080P. When I reset it to 1080i, the screen returned to normal. Whew!

Now I just have to figure out how to set the black level to the right spot and I'll be great. For the record, the HDFury and RTC2200 throw a really good image.
Rolls-Royce

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, if you haven't yet updated your Samsung's firmware, when you do, you'll likely have to repeat setting to 1080i. I have the same issue with my 1400, in that updating the firmware sets the player to defaults, which is 1080p, and since my Mits is 1080i, I have to go into setup (using an s-video or composite connection) and change resolutions.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had a heckuva conversation with yourself in this thread WideScreen. Laughing I don't have any of the equipment that you do but I wanted to give you an Atta Boy for your very logical diagnostics skills. One helluva job. I don't think alot of casual CRT-ers would have thought of handshaking as the problem/solution. Thumbs Up

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Widescreen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolls-Royce wrote:
For future reference, if you haven't yet updated your Samsung's firmware, when you do, you'll likely have to repeat setting to 1080i. I have the same issue with my 1400, in that updating the firmware sets the player to defaults, which is 1080p, and since my Mits is 1080i, I have to go into setup (using an s-video or composite connection) and change resolutions.

Yeah, good callout. I did have that experience when I updated my firmware. Fortunately because of the initial problem I immediately recognized what the solution was.
Widescreen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
You had a heckuva conversation with yourself in this thread WideScreen. Laughing I don't have any of the equipment that you do but I wanted to give you an Atta Boy for your very logical diagnostics skills. One helluva job. I don't think alot of casual CRT-ers would have thought of handshaking as the problem/solution. Thumbs Up

Smile Thanks. In this case, it was more of me stumbling across the solution and then surmising the cause rather than the other way around (IOW the way that someone who's actually knowledgeable would've done it).
BlueMoon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Cornelius. I'm looking at the plug on my RTC2200's power supply, and you're right. It looks exactly like a mini headphone plug.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueMoon,

It is a regular 3.5mm mono audio plug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: