Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HELP! Hauppauge PVR-500 card how to switch to S-video?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: HELP! Hauppauge PVR-500 card how to switch to S-video? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have one of these and I can not figure out how to capture through the S-video. My uncle died recently and I found some video on a tape I had left in my cam-corder. I want to make a DVD.

I have Beyond TV 4.8 and Nero 8 ultimate edtion. I can tune TV on both, I can switch channels, I can recored directly to disk from TV using Nero but for the life of me I can't figure out how to switch to the S-video input on the '500 card! I've been at this for 4 hours now.

Happapuge's website didn't have anything of use and I couldn't find a manual that told you how to selelct the Svideo input.

I also tried running the BeoyondTV setup to see if I could selelct Svideo instead of the cable tuner but no luck there either.

HALP!

Analog was SO much easier

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two Hauppage cards and never got good results out of either one. But maybe that's just me, I can't even get my LG combo drive to work right yet. I hate computers.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
I have had two Hauppage cards and never got good results out of either one. But maybe that's just me, I can't even get my LG combo drive to work right yet. I hate computers.

LOL sorry man I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you. It prevent's me from crying. Laughing I hate computer's too. I bought NERO 8 last night and a spindle of DVD DL's thinking I'd be producing DVDs today. Uhhh yeah...

Hey start a new thread on your drive problems. Maybe we can figure that out eventually too.

CRT.

HD done right!
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive can wait. Let's fix your Hauppage.
blue_z

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Try downloading DScaler, perhaps the card's video chip is supported. I recently did this for an Avermedia ATSC tuner card's s-video input (after advice from Jesse). There's recording capability, although I have not tried it.

And then there's always the RF modulator method using the tuner that you can record from.

Regards
the_avguy

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions should be in either Nero or Snapstream manuals, not the Hauppage one.
I haven't used either though so I am not sure exactly where the settings would be.
Basically you are setting up to record from an external source. So look for something about recording from a cable box or a satellite box.
Another option is to use videolanhttp://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html it is free and can convert to many different formats. It won't burn your dvd but it will create the files so that you can burn them with one of the other programs.
It says that it supports the 250 and 350 but I think the 500 is similiar.
good luck

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guy's I'll look at these after dinner. Damn strange thing. My old ATi cards had a button in the software that you pushed to cycle through Tuner/Video/Svideo. Why does Hauppauge have to make thing's so difficult?

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the manual for your card and it explains how to access it using wintv2000. If you want a copy I'll send it to you.
Chris Neufeld

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up. I found the input selection in some versions of wintv2000 to be buggy. Can't recall the versions or the details, but try all the inputs. I think my s-video would work if I selected Composite2 or something like that.

That is absolutely the right tool for a Hauppauge card though.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Analog. I think I found what your looking for. Load up your beyond tv. Then go to the icon on the bottom right and right click it. Hopefully your's shows advanced settings like mine does. Select that. An explorer page will open. Select basic tab if not already there. Select audio video inputs. Then create new source for the S Video. You may also have to change priority later. Have fun.
jmcmahon7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try VirtualDub Sync. You can make the most of your capture with it, im sure you appreciate image quality Smile DScaler as pointed out above is also very good for this purpose.

Capture the content at the highest video bitrate you can, do any editing that you need to and you can use DVD Santa to convert it to a DVD-compliant MPEG2 file with consumate ease. Getting the best capture out of VHS can be tricky, but the tools above will have you well on your was.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, just getting in. Long dinner it seems. I'll be back at this tomorow. Thanks for all the sugestions. BTW it's Hi8 jm, I may be analog but at least I have good taste Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
jmcmahon7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Sorry guys, just getting in. Long dinner it seems. I'll be back at this tomorow. Thanks for all the sugestions. BTW it's Hi8 jm, I may be analog but at least I have good taste Mr. Green

Smile

I should mention that, of course, you will need to select the S-video input in Virtualdub. You can crop the image pre capture and all kinds off cool stuff. Ill have a look for the guides ive used, fairly detailed.

May be worth noting, if you are going for max quality, then really you want a "framrgrabber", rather than a PVR one as you can capture, raw, uncompressed video with these.

/Edit....this looks like the guide i was thinking of, an oldie, but a goodie. http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/vidcap.ars
Chris Neufeld

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PVR-500 is a hardware mpeg2 encoder board, so grabbing "raw, incompressed video" from it is not possible. The only way to get raw, uncompressed video is to decode the mpeg stream - which really won't produce any better quality than just using the mpeg it produces. That's the reason that wintv2000 is the tool for that card, it takes the mpeg stream from the board and writes it to your disk directly without placing any load on the CPU - and producing the best possible output from that card.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to my place in a few. I was out doing car stuff all day. I'll let you know how it goes.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtual Dub's a no go. Can't select Svideo input, WinTV2000 has multiple error messages. I'm going to try Beyond TV now...

CRT.

HD done right!
jmcmahon7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Neufeld wrote:
The PVR-500 is a hardware mpeg2 encoder board, so grabbing "raw, incompressed video" from it is not possible. The only way to get raw, uncompressed video is to decode the mpeg stream - which really won't produce any better quality than just using the mpeg it produces. That's the reason that wintv2000 is the tool for that card, it takes the mpeg stream from the board and writes it to your disk directly without placing any load on the CPU - and producing the best possible output from that card.

Just wanted to clarify. I never said or suggested that raw, uncompressed video is possible from a PVR 500/150 Smile Thats why I mentioned a framegrabber (BT878 or newer). With this you will see an improvement in the final result if you capture raw frames if any kind of post-processing and or editing is done. Otherwise its compressed twice, once on the card and once again when you produce the DVD compliant MPEG stream with a very noticeable difference with the final result.

AnalogRocks, ill pop the PVR150 I have at home in the PC and see why virtualdub might not be working, IIRC it should be fine. WinTv2000, while maybe not ideal should NAIL it. From memory, hauppage and an app called wincap or somthing to that effect that might work too.

What is the state of your drivers? Might worth running hcwclear (removes drivers and associated reg keys cleanly) so you can install the latest ones. If you havent already get the latest drivers and apps.utils from hauppage.com. If it refuses to work with PVR500 drivers, then you can also run PVR150.

I've some capturing coming up anyway, so ill pop the card in today and let you know what software works for me. Im running XP Pro SP2 for reference.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I macguyved it (thanks Mac!) and did manage to capture some video using Beyond TV. I never looked at the web interface before and since I didn't read the manual ( who does ) I never knew they had one Laughing

Only weird thing is there's no live preview. The quality is ok for the most part but the MPEG artifact's abound in the ocean scenes when we were whale watching.

I edit using MPEG2VCR. It's a great little program. You set your cut point's By hiting "i" and your out point by hitting "o" then hit "x" and the bit you want cut out is gone. Then there's no re-encode when you save it back to disk. I can output a 45 minute show back to disk in about 6 minutes. It just uses whatever MPEG2 setting the video was originally encoded with.

Thanks again guy's. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I'm going to make the DVD's this week.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: