Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Xbox 360 picture very dark on Barco Data 701s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Xbox 360 picture very dark on Barco Data 701s Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
I have just received the xbox360 VGA HD cable.
Whenever i try to output at 720p the picture is barely visible. I have adjusted brightness/contrast settings and gamma levels etc but the picture is just about visible.

Outputting at 640 x 480 looks fine so it is not the cable.
I have a barco data 701s projector and a iScan HD scaler. I am using a high quality VGA to bnc breakout cable 40 feet long to connect the scaler to the projector. The xbox is connected to the passthru input of the scaler and from there it is sent unprocessed to the projector.

I have displayed dvds at 720p via the scaler and the picture is cool.

Any suggestions as to why the 720p from the xbox is so dark?

When i say dark, i mean it is barely visible. I thought at first that the projector wasnt displaying anything.

I have a component HD cable for the xbox aswell and the picture is quite dark at anything above 480i. This is why i wanted the VGA cable. Also, the VGA cable was in RGB colourspace, which meant i wouldnt have to change inputs on the projector when switching from DVD RGB to xbox component.

The only idea i have myself is maybe it is something to do with the sync signals. I have joined the H and V sync cables together at the projector because the barco has only one sync input. I have also tried setting the scaler output to bi-level and composite sync. All these configurations give a cool picture via DVD through the scaler, but not with the xbox.

Sorry to have gone on a bit, but i reckon the more i tell yiz them more ideas i might get.

Cheers Y'all

Barco Data 701s
iScan HD scaler with sdi mod
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Denon AVR 1507 7.1 AV receiver
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 floorstanders (front)
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (rear)
Wharfedale SW150 active subwoofer

Photos on the way!
Spotmatic

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is the solution: try to adjust the H-phase (in the geometry menu). Chances are that the picture has hit the side of the raster, causing it to bend back into the picture and interfere with it. This often causes a dimming of the picture.
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, just tried adjusting h phase and there is no difference. Tried raster shift aswell to no avail.

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
medazner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: My XBox360 is also gloomy on 701s... Reply with quote

Hi,
just wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem of gloominess on your xbox/701s?
I just wanted to reassure you that it is possible to get a picture from the component cable on a 701s assuming your barco is healthy...but I am also suffering from a gloomy picture on my 360 but only really in dark areas (crushed blacks?) - the rest of the picture is fine. I'm running the component cable supplied with the xbox straight into the R-G-B inputs (ch5) via 3 rca-bnc adaptors and it seems fine at all resolutions 480p/720p/1080i with only the problem of crushed blacks at each resolution. I'm trying to find some kind of hack to adjust gamma in the xbox....Its like low levels needs a boost. This is nothing to do with the rgb colourspace thing is it?
Did you try connecting directly to the projector via the component HD cable (bypassing the scaler) and if so, how did that work?
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, havent played the xbox since I got it, so didnt try it since. I was going to try to connect the Xbox directly to the scaler, but need a VGA connector type thing.
The cable from xbox is vga, and the cable to projector is VGA , but i need an adaptor to connect the 2 VGA connectors together. Both vga connectors are female.
I might try making one up if I can find 2 VGA male connectors.

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've just ordered the vga adaptor to connect the xbox directly to the pj.
See if that works.

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried connecting directly to the pj using a vga adaptor to connect the xbox 360 vga cable to my 40 foot cable feeding the projector. Terrible picture.
I the used a short component cable straight from the 360 to the pj and the result was brilliant.
The cable to my pj was too long for the 360 to drive.
So now all i need is an external cable driver (I think) to boost the signal over such a long distance.

As far as your crushed blacks are concerned you need a gamma booster. Im looking for one myself so cannot advise which is the best yet.

Check out my post in the CRT section where I have asked for info on how best to achieve this.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112873#112873

Cheers y'all

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
97ss150

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my xbox is fine on movies but really dark on games and sat video as well
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

97ss150 wrote:
my xbox is fine on movies but really dark on games and sat video as well

Movies from the xbox are pal/ntsc format. You are probably running games in high definition. The higher the signal bandwidth the poorer the picture will be over a long cable run. This is where good quality cable and cable drivers cone in. A I discovered, outputting PAL from my xbox was fine, but when I tried 720p or 1080i the signal would not travel.

What length cable are you running?

I assume the sat box is high def aswell.

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
97ss150

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good. i think its a 25' bnc. so i need to get a better cable?
97ss150

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also when i look at pics and all from my external harddrive they are really dark too
97ss150

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Python-HDTV-Component-Cables-5-BNC-to-5-BNC_W0QQitemZ220237751960QQihZ012QQcategoryZ64631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

???
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem may not necessarily be your cable. It's like this:
The signal loses intensity over distance. This loss is increased as you increase frequency. The main problem you have is the xbox does not have a cable driver, so the signal is quite weak. Not a problem on short distances or on low frequency, ie NTSC or PAL.
This means that the signal will degrade over distance especially with the HD output of your games. This is why SD output looks okay. Hey, set the gaming output to 480i or 576i (or even try 480p or 576p) and I bet the picture will look okay, however it may lack the detail that the HD output will have.
Getting a better quality cable will help, but the picture will still be very poor when it reaches the projector.

You must get a cable driver to boost the signal over the long distance. Certainly get a better cable if the one you have is of poor quality, but it may not be necessary.
Invest in a cable driver like the RTC2200 for sale here. The difference will be immediate and you may not need the expensive cable. The RTC2200 also has gamma boost, which will give you better black detail.
Try connecting the xbox directly to the projector using the short output cable that comes from your xbox, and you will have a brilliant picture. You may need RCA to BNC adaptors, but they are only a few cents each.

Hope this explains it right.
8)

Barco Data 701s
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)

Photos on the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: