Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Calibration files vs. XYZ Conversion Matrix

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
picree

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Calibration files vs. XYZ Conversion Matrix Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been studying this for some time now to see if it's possible to get better results with the Spyder. I have a Sencor ColorPro available to use as a calibration standard. I also noticed the manual for HCFR has a section that describes how to create a "conversion matrix" to account for screen shift (so you can point the colorimeter at the projector instead). However, I'm struggling with the difference between the two features.

Do you suppose we can calibrate the Spyder against a Sencor by applying a Calibration file AND also use an XYZ Conversion Matrix to account for the screen shift (so I could point the Spyder towards the projector to get better low-IRE results)? Are they additive or perhaps just the same thing located in two different places in the software?

SECOND WII-ATER: (BG808; WII; Oppo 971H; Moome external box; BG-DVI transcoder; tse gamma box; Extron)

Last edited by picree on Sat May 24, 2008 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (30 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. The correction matrix assumes the Spyder needs the same correction at all levels. The Spyder that Kal had was similar to his eye One at higher IREs, but went berserk at lower IREs. You could match up the readings at 100IRE (which is where they calculate the correction matrix) but the lower levels might still be off.

But you could try. Calculate the matrix and then see how the corrected Spyder compares to your Sencore. Maybe it will be "close enough."
picree

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did compare the Sencore with the Spyder using a Dell notebook PC as a source and both tracked very close. Which leads me to believe that if we can get the Spyder to work when facing the projector then the results might be more reliable. The attached graph is the Spyder as compared to the Sencore after applying the Calibration Matrix (I believe the matrix is applied at 100 IRE and extrapolated backwards). Again this was on a laptop so results will be different on a projector.

Will post results of the projector...when I get done fixing the dishwasher...soon I hope...

SECOND WII-ATER: (BG808; WII; Oppo 971H; Moome external box; BG-DVI transcoder; tse gamma box; Extron)
SYC

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picree wrote:
I did compare the Sencore with the Spyder using a Dell notebook PC as a source and both tracked very close. Which leads me to believe that if we can get the Spyder to work when facing the projector then the results might be more reliable. The attached graph is the Spyder as compared to the Sencore after applying the Calibration Matrix (I believe the matrix is applied at 100 IRE and extrapolated backwards). Again this was on a laptop so results will be different on a projector.

Will post results of the projector...when I get done fixing the dishwasher...soon I hope...

How do you calculate the matrix? As I tried before, it is a mulplication matrix, ao it can correct the result of the primaries calibration. But as to the shift of screens, it need a matrix to be added. By the way, where can I find its English manual?

SYC
picree

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYC wrote:
How do you calculate the matrix? As I tried before, it is a mulplication matrix, ao it can correct the result of the primaries calibration. But as to the shift of screens, it need a matrix to be added. By the way, where can I find its English manual?

HCFR software has a feature under Advanced that will calculate it for you from your reference (or screen) measurements. Just load two calibration files and select one as your reference (the set of measures taken while pointed at the screen). Then go to the other measurement file and under the menu Advanced select XYZ Coordinates Adjustment Matrix and let HCFR calculate it from the reference. You can delete it later if you want.

This is a little different than a calibration file but I think both act on the results in the same way. English help file...? Well it's included with the program under Help Confused

Footnote: The Spyder II does indeed track pretty close to the Sencor when facing the projector with the filter on but at lower IRE it starts to diverge and becomes less reliable (I think) which is what's been said before.

Footnote 2: Correcting for screen shift (Stewart screen) has a VERY minor effect on the results from what I can tell...almost within the margin of error.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: