Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Netflix cuts out the mailman.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sorry to steer this back onto the subject at hand, but...

> Interested in picking up a relatively cheap Netflix box, even if the video quality is only so-so? <

Nope. While I'm glad to see that Netflix is finally getting some momentum in this arena, the quality will have to go up, a lot, to get me interested. And as Dave pointed out, it's going to be quite a while (if ever) before enough BW is available to get decent PQ in a real-time streaming scenario. Everyone wants "instant view", but the price for that (low PQ) is too high for me.

By comparison, the cable companies, with their distribution system and SDV, have a lot better shot at providing quality HD content... though, based on their consumer base, I don't expect to see it happening for a while. Like Comcast, they'll push up their VOD selection numbers to compete with the channels that satellite offers.

In any event, like most folks, I have a limited amount of time for watching movies and TV, and I'm not about to waste it on "crapVision(tm)". "Free' is too high a price to pay.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm commented:
> It's so far from HD that I can't imagine anyone except for old people and College kids willing to tolerate such a piece of crap.Thumbs Down <

Yeah, just like MP3 audio. Almost nobody will tolerate that crap. Wink

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
draganm commented:
> It's so far from HD that I can't imagine anyone except for old people and College kids willing to tolerate such a piece of crap.Thumbs Down <

Yeah, just like MP3 audio. Almost nobody will tolerate that crap. Wink

I'd bet the people that download would tolerate it but then again they wouldn't pay the $99 for the box + the monthly fee.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
WanMan wrote:
Find me one politician that hasn't stolen. And I bet if I follow someone, somewhere, sometime, it will result in thievery. I do not soften anything. I state it clearly. How many of you 'borrowed' a movie from someone? How about a CD? Did you watch and or listen to it? Well, guess what, they say that is stealing, too.

Don't use one person's bad behavior to justify another's - it doesn't work.

There's a clear difference between loaning/borrowing and COPYING. One is stealing and the other isn't. I don't give a sh*t what the RIAA or the MPAA or the BSA says in their bull**** license agreements or legal opinions. We're talking about simple, common sense right and wrong. To anybody with an ounce of common sense, there's nothing wrong with lending a CD to a friend - you can't use it while it's loaned out. If your friend makes a copy, then he's ripping it off. That's not hard to understand, is it?

WanMan wrote:
How many can say they never borrowed anything in this form? Look into the mirror and evaluate yourselves before you judge someone else.

Loaning or borrowing something does not constitute stealing by any definition I've heard. If there is one that says that, it's likely more bull**** from the RIAA. We're talking about actual truth and reality here, not some trade group attorney's version of reality.

WanMan wrote:
Now, how about those with demo disks. You know, of scenes from movies used to show off your system. Still stealing according to the content owners.

Again, apply some common sense. Have you taken anything that you didn't pay for when you make a demo disc? No. Have you given anything away to anybody they didn't pay for? No. Not stealing. Now, did you break the copyright agreement? Yes. But, fortunately copyright infringement does not necessarily equal theft. Stealing by downloading or copying does.

SC

Keep in mind this isn't me telling you, but me telling everyone my view on the matter. I am in disagreement, though.

I see no difference, because one is skirting the otherwise obligation of buying or renting intellectual property. How one can say copyright infringement isn't stealing is silly to me. One infringes to skirt the basic premise of renting or buying. But I do see your point in that I had a software engineer that would condemn someone downloading s/w from Usenet to try, but he himself would borrow DVDs to try.

Borrowing a movie to watch means you do not see the value in renting it or buying it. Makes no difference to me in the transport mechanism.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
Person99 wrote:
perisoft wrote:
Pretty sad that we have sank to the level that people don't know the difference between theft and copyright infringement.

I love the guys that try to "soften it up" to justify their thievery. You can steal physical property but you can't steal intellectual property, huh? Pretty silly claim.

steal (v) - take without owner's consent.

IP may be covered by copyright laws, patent laws, or trademark laws. No mater what law protects it, taking it is stealing by definition. Whether it is physical property or intellectual property, taking it without the owners consent is stealing. The fact that many don't want to identify themselves as thieves is a good thing (at least their moral compass is not totally whacked) the fact that so many are simple petty thieves is a rather sad thing.

Find me one politician that hasn't stolen. And I bet if I follow someone, somewhere, sometime, it will result in thievery. I do not soften anything. I state it clearly. How many of you 'borrowed' a movie from someone? How about a CD? Did you watch and or listen to it? Well, guess what, they say that is stealing, too.

How many can say they never borrowed anything in this form? Look into the mirror and evaluate yourselves before you judge someone else. Now, how about those with demo disks. You know, of scenes from movies used to show off your system. Still stealing according to the content owners.

Are you 12 years old, or just lack any critical thinking skills? Your assertion is the classic you-too fallacy version of Tu Quoque http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

As such, you post is completely irrelevant.

Your nothing but a f*cking thief. That is the fact.

Nice words. I am not trying to defend myself. I feel no need. But I consider those 'borrowing' just as much as a thief. Saying you obtained the content by means other than d/l to skirt the rental/purchase industries is no difference in my eyes, and you can call me names all you want if that restores your comfort levels.

BTW, I do not 'borrow' DVDs either. Mr. Green And the ironic thing about this is that the wife and I tried to go buy the new NIN CD last weekend and found we couldn't buying it. We had to download it ... from NIN's website.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: