Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

09MEX3 tubes in a marquee??? Can it be done
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: 09MEX3 tubes in a marquee??? Can it be done Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking to adapt a set of sony 1292 tubes to a marquee can it be done if so how?
this is for a project for a friend and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks John

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the pin-out for the 09MEX2 or P19LVB02 thanks to tse. Are you sure it is an 09MEX3 ?

http://f4.filecrunch.com/files/20080502/b54c29d9fa93ba1d32fe489c4eac45ca/CRT_base.pdf
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think so I will have to double check when i get home. so it is possiable then??? are there any special concerns that i should be aware of?

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sony tubes have same pin out, that is totally different what Marquee tubes have. That is usually not big problem, but Sony tubes need extra focus voltage (about 15 kV) applied to pin 1. I believe that there is no easy way to get focus voltage to neck boards in Marquee.

Other way around this would be much easier.

Last edited by Ile on Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotchya I will have to let my buddy know that he would be better off selling the tubes for minty marquee tubes. especially since these are pretty minty. Thanks Guys

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
All sony tubes have same pin out, that is totally different what Marquee tubes have. That is usually not big problem, but Sony tubes need extra focus voltage (about 15 kV) applied to pin 1. I believe that there is no easy way to get focus voltage to neck boards in Marquee.

Other way around this would be much easier.

Ile,

So pin 1 (labeled "Arc Suppressor") in the .pdf diagram above takes an additional focus voltage? What would happen if you didn't supply that voltage?

Thanks,
Ben
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought only the ES tubes had a focus voltage applied to them.
View user's photo album (24 photos)
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure either way and i won't gamble either. mybe someone who has tried could anser TSE maybe might know

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
So pin 1 (labeled "Arc Suppressor") in the .pdf diagram above takes an additional focus voltage? What would happen if you didn't supply that voltage?

Thanks,
Ben
Yes that same pin. Newer tested without it, but I assume that tube won't work correctly.

papalek wrote:
I thought only the ES tubes had a focus voltage applied to them.

Sony EM tubed Barcos, like 1200 and BG808s have this extra "focus voltage" applied to pin 1.

1292 probably have similar voltage connected.

Not sure if focus voltage is correct term, but least Barco use that term in SM when voltage leaves Quad. Then G2 board have focus/G2 block that divides dropped voltage to each neck board and to G2 board that use it for G2 voltages...

http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout7.shtm
r.bauer

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used sony tubes in a BG1200 without the additional (5kv?) wire connected for some time. Tube worked just fine.
I forgot to connect the wire while working on the projector.
tse

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "arc suppressor" pin can be connected to ground. The Sony 09MI tubes in my 4200 have that pin grounded and its worked fine for many thousands of hours.

Scott

Thomas Jefferson
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would it be possiable to repin to work in a marquee? or is it just to much work. and for clarification it is a 09mfx not mex sorry about that

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewiring neck boards takes about fife hours, if you have glue what you are doing.

You probably know that it's needed to remove LC hardware from both tubes and glue mfx3 to Marquee hardware. Other option is that you use 1292 tubes as is and build your own attachment system to Marquee. Both ways it's lot of work, I'd say least ten hours both ways.

There is also chance that mfx3 wont fit to Marquee LC hardware, because Sony tubes could have little different shaped face plate. MFX3 is also very long tube (15 mm longer than MI/MX), so there there is chance that it won't fit to Marquee tube housings. Also neck connector is 180 degree twisted, so does Marquee tube housings have room for twisted neck board, etc...

Marquee tubes will be available longer and tube type is more robust. Sony tubes have glued face plate that is weakness, also rebuild can't be done.

I have bare mfx3 here, so I can measure it if you still want to do this. Laughing
jantje112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a posting somewhere where someone had a mix from mec and sony in his 8500.

I shall take a look when I'm home
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jantje112 wrote:
I read a posting somewhere where someone had a mix from mec and sony in his 8500.

I shall take a look when I'm home

That would be me. (The mix was temporary, I'm running all sony-pinouts now)

My case is a bit different, though, because the tubes I had weren't Sony tubes, but rather oddball, P19LUG copies with a Sony pinout. So the tube internals were equivalent to P19LUGs, which is compatible with the Marquee. What I did have to do was extensive reworking of the neckboards to accommodate the Sony pinout. If you want, I can take pictures of what I did and post them up.
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you please I would thinkg that the sony tubes would work I am just curious at this point

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
Rewiring neck boards takes about fife hours, if you have glue what you are doing.

You probably know that it's needed to remove LC hardware from both tubes and glue mfx3 to Marquee hardware. Other option is that you use 1292 tubes as is and build your own attachment system to Marquee. Both ways it's lot of work, I'd say least ten hours both ways.

There is also chance that mfx3 wont fit to Marquee LC hardware, because Sony tubes could have little different shaped face plate. MFX3 is also very long tube (15 mm longer than MI/MX), so there there is chance that it won't fit to Marquee tube housings. Also neck connector is 180 degree twisted, so does Marquee tube housings have room for twisted neck board, etc...

Marquee tubes will be available longer and tube type is more robust. Sony tubes have glued face plate that is weakness, also rebuild can't be done.

I have bare mfx3 here, so I can measure it if you still want to do this. Laughing

Still curious if they fit. Let me know!
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jantje112 wrote:
Still curious if they fit. Let me know!
09mfx3 face plate is 184 mm x 145 mm. Tube length from face plate to end of neck connector is 437 mm. Bell length is 153 mm from face plate.

I have only 8" Marquee tube housing and ac hardware here, so I can't tell if it fit to 9".
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo7869 wrote:
could you please I would thinkg that the sony tubes would work I am just curious at this point

Hey voodoo,

It might be a little bit before I have my PJ apart to take pics, but when I do, I'll post them up.
voodoo7869

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great that would be wonderful take your time I am in no hurry
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: