Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!


DLP RP Quality

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: DLP RP Quality Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/14768/Toshiba-44NHM84--DLP-Shadow-left-side/

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Brooklyn



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 490
Location: Chicago, IL


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshiba's especially have had a lot of quality control issues. In fact, I think they just gave up and dropped their DLP line all together. However, from what I've read online, the DLP sets are getting significantly better each year. (especially with LED technology) The one in question on the linked site is 3 years old, early for DLP sets.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more toward longevity. If they all have to replace their light engine's every 1.5 years or so and there are no cooling changes made then what good are the set's?
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Brooklyn



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 490
Location: Chicago, IL


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think it works out great for Toshiba. They only give 1 year warranty's on their sets, and when the light engines give out at 1.5 years, Toshiba can cash in! Seems business smart to me Wink
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn wrote:
One would think it works out great for Toshiba. They only give 1 year warranty's on their sets, and when the light engines give out at 1.5 years, Toshiba can cash in! Seems business smart to me Wink


Yep, engineered to fail, just outta warranty. Like my mom's TV which has been in for repair twice, the first time 3 weeks outta warranty the second time 6 month's and they can't seem to fix it. Quality engineered

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan



Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Posts: 10261



PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has any consumer-grade product ever been engineered to not fail? CRT's are not consumer products, but commercial products.
_________________
Trust no one. Absolutely no one. Advice of the board.
Back to top
Person99



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4901
Location: Flower Mound, TX


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I was thinking more toward longevity. If they all have to replace their light engine's every 1.5 years or so and there are no cooling changes made then what good are the set's?


Come on, this is just a silly statement. The assertion that "they all have to replace their light engines every 1.5 years" is ridiculous. The sample size is far to small to make that assertion. As has been pointed out, this is new and rapidly maturing technology. How reliable do you think CRTs were 5 years after their introduction to the market? The fact is the technology is maturing, it is actually maturing quite rapidly. The difference in image quality and reliability of the sets between 6 years ago and today is astounding. Consider JVCs projectors. 6 years ago they had a contrast ratio of 300:1. Now they are approaching 30000:1. That is a pretty significant improvement!

_________________
Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan



Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Posts: 10261



PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What JVC projector had a measured contrast ratio of 30,000:1??? I'm betting this was dynamic and not native.
_________________
Trust no one. Absolutely no one. Advice of the board.
Back to top
Person99



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4901
Location: Flower Mound, TX


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
What JVC projector had a measured contrast ratio of 30,000:1??? I'm betting this was dynamic and not native.


Do you not read ANYTHING in the HT industry? I said "approaching" as that is the rated, not the calibrated. And no, it does not have a dynamic iris--it is native contrast. Why don't you do some research on the JVC DLA-RS2?

_________________
Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....


Last edited by Person99 on Wed May 07, 2008 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham



Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Posts: 5634
Location: Comedy Central


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
What JVC projector had a measured contrast ratio of 30,000:1??? I'm betting this was dynamic and not native.


JVC does not use a dynamic iris and has stated they never will.

The RS2 is supposedly component optimized to get better on/off than the RS1.
Back to top
WanMan



Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Posts: 10261



PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
What JVC projector had a measured contrast ratio of 30,000:1??? I'm betting this was dynamic and not native.


Do you not read ANYTHING in the HT industry? I said "approaching" as that is the rated, not the calibrated. And no, it does not have a dynamic iris--it is native contrast. Why don't you do some research on the JVC DLA-RS2?
Because, I tend not to lean into marketing. Mr. Green like some people Exclamation
_________________
Trust no one. Absolutely no one. Advice of the board.
Back to top
WanMan



Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Posts: 10261



PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I only visit Curt's website when it comes to HT.
_________________
Trust no one. Absolutely no one. Advice of the board.
Back to top
Person99



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4901
Location: Flower Mound, TX


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:
What JVC projector had a measured contrast ratio of 30,000:1??? I'm betting this was dynamic and not native.


Do you not read ANYTHING in the HT industry? I said "approaching" as that is the rated, not the calibrated. And no, it does not have a dynamic iris--it is native contrast. Why don't you do some research on the JVC DLA-RS2?
Because, I tend not to lean into marketing. Mr. Green like some people Exclamation


I never trust marketing, but try to stay abreast of the goings on.

_________________
Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Back to top
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 25470
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
I was thinking more toward longevity. If they all have to replace their light engine's every 1.5 years or so and there are no cooling changes made then what good are the set's?


Come on, this is just a silly statement. The assertion that "they all have to replace their light engines every 1.5 years" is ridiculous. The sample size is far to small to make that assertion. As has been pointed out, this is new and rapidly maturing technology. How reliable do you think CRTs were 5 years after their introduction to the market? The fact is the technology is maturing, it is actually maturing quite rapidly. The difference in image quality and reliability of the sets between 6 years ago and today is astounding. Consider JVCs projectors. 6 years ago they had a contrast ratio of 300:1. Now they are approaching 30000:1. That is a pretty significant improvement!


Let me clarify... Of all the break downs of those set's, if it's usualy the light engine then what's the point of owning the set?
That would be one of those things you fix and sell ASAP.

_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tinman



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1326
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.


PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did like my 4 month stint with a DLP set. I sold it the DAY I got a plasma. Now I'm NOT afraid to turn on my TV. Not a CRT, but one hell of a lot better than a DLP. BULBS SUCK!!!

The LED engine sets at least seem very promising.

Marc

_________________
This space for rent.
Back to top
Curt Palme
CRT Tech


Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 23750
Location: Langley, BC

TV/Projector: All of them!


PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, light engine and power supply problems are common on alll digital sets. Parts places are now selling power supply kits to do a massive swapout of all PS components.

I had a s/call at a hotel today that had a 5 month old LG plasma (I didn't sell it) that they asked me to look at. Funny problem, it powered up OK, but was continually in channel down mode, so it would only continually flip channels. I blocked the IR receiver, it kept going. Checked the on-set channel down button, and it seemed to work fine, it wasn't pushed in or sticky.

Betcha that would be an expensive repair if out of warranty...
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum