Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How long until "film" is dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: How long until "film" is dead? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just read an interview with John Gaeta (special effects supervisor and guru of The Matrix Trilogy and Speed Racer) and Speed Racer was done to whole handedly embrace DCI (digital cinema), to the point that they actually prefer you not see it on on film. Couple that with directors such as Tarantino and Rodriguez embracing digital.

The move will first be to digitally creating the whole work most likely targeting digital cinema display. Film will likely only be produced for the legacy theaters that have not converted.

So, how long before we see a mass conversion to digital film making and the practical death of film projection? Personally, I can't see film making it another decade.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your guess of film not making it a decade is pretty safe. In fact, I'll be surprised if almost all major productions aren't shot digitally inside of 5 years. The theater switch will take longer because of the capital involved, but as the price of DCI projection equipment falls, they're going to switch to gain the convenience, immediacy, automation, and ease of operation (press play). No prints to damage or destroy, and the 1000th screening looks as good as the first screening. It will only be the smaller venues or theaters in smaller markets that will continue to use film and that will only be as long as it will be profitable for the studios to continue producing prints.

To give you an idea of the popularity of digital film-making, here's the list of dCinema cameras in use right now:
Arriflex D-20 (35mm sensor size, 1080p output)
Dalsa Origin (35mm sensor size, 4K output)
GS Vitec noX (1.2", 2K output)
Panavision Genesis (~35mm sensor, 1080p output)
RED ONE (35mm sensor size, 4K output)
Silicon Imaging SI-2K (16mm, 2K)
Thomson Viper FilmStream (2/3", 1080p output)
Sony F-23 (Sony CineAlta) (2/3", 1080p output)
Vision Research Phantom65 (65mm, 4K)
Vision Research PhantomHD (35mm, 2K)

Then, you have your intermediates, editing and post - that's been all digital for years.

So, this is being driven on all fronts. The film-makers and producers like that digital is cheaper to produce with than film. The DP's likes that they can get their dailies back for review almost instantly (or in minutes instead of hours or days). Then, footage can go into the production pipeline so much faster. Studios like digital because it's MUCH cheaper to distribute and harder to steal or lose. Theaters like it because of the immediacy, convenience, automation and ease of use. There's also the flexibility of a dCinema theater to be able to project special live events, too. They'll like it more and more as the cost of the equipment comes down.

The film wall is crumbling. Won't be long.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only they could make a 1080p camcorder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that shoots 24fps and has the manual controls of virtually every motion picture camera ever made. Canon came close with the HF10 and HF100, which shoot to SDHC cards in 1920x1080p @ 24fps with a 17Mbps bitrate! But come on, focusing with a rinky dink joystick instead of a focus ring? LAME! Then there's the slick looking JVC GZ-HD7. Focus ring... CHECK! 1080p @ 24fps... FAIL! It makes me want to buy a 16mm Bolex.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
Now if only they could make a 1080p camcorder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that shoots 24fps and has the manual controls of virtually every motion picture camera ever made. Canon came close with the HF10 and HF100, which shoot to SDHC cards in 1920x1080p @ 24fps with a 17Mbps bitrate! But come on, focusing with a rinky dink joystick instead of a focus ring? LAME! Then there's the slick looking JVC GZ-HD7. Focus ring... CHECK! 1080p @ 24fps... FAIL! It makes me want to buy a 16mm Bolex.

Smile Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
1080p @ 24fps... FAIL! It makes me want to buy a 16mm Bolex.

Why do you need 1080p/24, are you an aspiring film maker or do you just like the look of wagon wheels going backwards? Smile

Personally, after seeing 4 awesome presenentation on 4K sony DCI PJs, you can't drag me back to a film theater. I have never seen a film presentation in a commercial theater as good as those.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
outwest

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't apply to the movies that we see at the local cinema, but I am curious. Does digital do slow motion? I am thinking back a couple of years when I was visiting a friend of mine that is a cameraman. He was working on a high speed 35MM film camera. The film transport motor was 1/3 HP. He showed me that there was no mechanical shutter as it was not possible to move, start, and stop the shutter parts fast enough. The shutter duties were handled by a rotating prism. He said that there was no effort to get the exposed film onto a take-up reel, instead, it was just shot into a big light controlled box and sorted out later. The camera construction was massive. It really took the two of us to move it easily. He made a comment to the effect, "This is nothing. You should see the 70MM version"
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Why do you need 1080p/24, are you an aspiring film maker or do you just like the look of wagon wheels going backwards? Smile

I don't get to shoot many wagon wheels, so we don't have to worry about that much. Wink I would LOVE to shoot 24p. A) It's beautiful. It has a look that faster frame rates don't duplicate. B) It's low-bandwidth, which is awesome for web distribution. A 20% lower frame rate results in a 20% lower data rate, or 20% better picture quality at equal data rates (compared to 30p). C) Did I mention it's beautiful? Wink

Mike, have some patience. 24p will make it into some affordable cameras pretty quick. I bet this year or next.

outwest, yes - most of the dCinema cameras will capture higher frame rates to do slo-mo, although I don't think any of them have the flexibility of potentially high film rame rates. I assume dedicated high-speed cameras will be forthcoming if they aren't already.

SC
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see whether the switch to digital on the filmmaking (?!) side makes digitals a better proposition for movie watching, in terms of their lack of 'film-ness'. With movies shot on digital and displayed on digital, the way to see what the director intended will obviously be digital.

But that doesn't mean the other advantaged of CRT aren't there. I tend to think that video games look better on CRT, too, and they're obviously not targeting film output!

Also, digital display is probably done in 4k a lot.

It'll be interesting to see when the UBER high end HT people start using 4k projectors with the actual digital 'prints' instead of bluray.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm maybe the 35mm projector's will start to come up surplus and we can pick them up for our home theater's. Twisted Evil

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be practical. Lessee... there's the 10x10 isolated room we need with ventilation. There's the power draw and noise. Optical head for DD and decoder, and most important, there's the big bucks it takes to buy or rent prints to have anything to watch. I know you were being facetious, though.Wink

Here's some entertainment. These guys are "keeping the dream alive" so to speak. Check out some of these awesome film-based non-commercial theaters. Some are home, some are corporate, etc. Be sure to check out Brad Miller's Film-Tech screening room. Look in the "SCREENING ROOMS" section. Whoah.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Yeah, that would be practical. Lessee... there's the 10x10 isolated room we need with ventilation. There's the power draw and noise. Optical head for DD and decoder, and most important, there's the big bucks it takes to buy or rent prints to have anything to watch. I know you were being facetious, though.Wink

Here's some entertainment. These guys are "keeping the dream alive" so to speak. Check out some of these awesome film-based non-commercial theaters. Some are home, some are corporate, etc. Be sure to check out Brad Miller's Film-Tech screening room. Look in the "SCREENING ROOMS" section. Whoah.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=1

SC

Moi? Facetious? Actually I was being half way serious. I think I'd have a stiffy if I could ever have my own 35mm projector setup like some of the one's you posted. Hell I might even get rid of the Ampro for one. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

Damn. In the 'good work if you can get it' department... Razz That even beats the guy who bought one of our motion platforms... to put on his yacht! Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
It has a look that faster frame rates don't duplicate.

Yeah--it doesn't look like real world! Your eyes work faster than 24fps!

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

It'll be interesting to see when the UBER high end HT people start using 4k projectors with the actual digital 'prints' instead of bluray.

That is on the horizon so I'm told.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Of course, I didn't say it looked like the real world. I could watch NFL if I wanted something that looked like the real world. I don't like that look, though - that's the "video" look. Film is about storytelling, not necessarily about "faithfully recreating the real world". I mean, look at the lengths the DP, TD, set guys, wardrobe guys, etc. all go to to create an "alternate reality". A lot of the stuff that looks gorgeous on the film would look ridiculous in reality. Especially lighting. Those candlelight scenes or those "moonlight in bed" scenes look nothing in reality like they look on film.

Isn't it interesting how even at 24fps... the 24fps that doesn't look like the real world - that the suspension of disbelief can still be so powerful? I LOVE the look of 24fps.

SC
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Person99 wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Of course, I didn't say it looked like the real world. I could watch NFL if I wanted something that looked like the real world. I don't like that look, though - that's the "video" look. Film is about storytelling, not necessarily about "faithfully recreating the real world". I mean, look at the lengths the DP, TD, set guys, wardrobe guys, etc. all go to to create an "alternate reality". A lot of the stuff that looks gorgeous on the film would look ridiculous in reality. Especially lighting. Those candlelight scenes or those "moonlight in bed" scenes look nothing in reality like they look on film.

Isn't it interesting how even at 24fps... the 24fps that doesn't look like the real world - that the suspension of disbelief can still be so powerful? I LOVE the look of 24fps.

SC

The only time it bugs me is during slow pans - that snaps me out of the suspension. Otherwise - yeah, film isn't supposed to look like reality. Filmmakers have spent 100 years figuring out how to use the non-reality to make better movies. If anything, that's why 3D isn't necessarily a great leap forward - everyone thinks it's obvious, but I'm not so sure it is. 3D breaks half the mechanisms used for movie making - focus pulls? Gone. Visual effects? Drastically more difficult. Fade to white or black? All this stuff gets messed up. Which is not to say it can't work, but I don't think it's as simple as going from DVD to bluray, or mono to DTS.

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: