Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How many people own a kloss Novabeam??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: How many people own a kloss Novabeam?? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
How many people own novabeam projectors?? there's a company that's got a NOS CRTs and even some used CRTs if anyone is using these blasts from the past. I actually called and asked them since they mentioned support in an ad release for newer CRT PJ.

They don't have CRTs for medieval beast like my videobeam, but do have all novabeam tubes.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I just say. You need to turn that projector into an R2 unit.

Welcome to the forum.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
XANATOS

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MIGHTY ADVENT VIDEOBEAM 1000
the coolest looking projector ever 8) Thumbs Up and my first of many projectors
and it still works!!!!!!! take that digital Laughing followed by a novabeam 100
novabeam 1a and three other novabeam models all still work

XANATOS

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys!

VDC in Shreveport, a.k.a. "Novatron", acquired the Kloss Novabeam CRT plant when Kloss shut down, and trucked the whole thing from Cambridge Mass. to
Shreveport; and I would not be surprised if they can still refurb the tubes.

crt projectors

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post pics of your videobeam 1000 xanatos
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that thing looks new, more pix please! Kal, put one of the pix in the FAQ, that indeed is (sort of) a collector's item..Smile
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Damn, that thing looks new, more pix please! Kal, put one of the pix in the FAQ, that indeed is (sort of) a collector's item..Smile

Well, for us it is, anyway... Very Happy

(BTW, Curt, you have a PM!)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Damn, that thing looks new, more pix please! Kal, put one of the pix in the FAQ, that indeed is (sort of) a collector's item.. "

Even after getting an account I don't see any pictures of the Advent?!

Edit: now I do get to see the avatars. Looks like I am not the only one who uses this classic avatar;-).

Is this the 1000 or the newer 1000A?

ITT out of Germany used to provide the electronics for the Novabeam projectors and also sold these machines under its own brand getting the Schmidt Optik tubes from the US. They occassionally pop-up on the German Ebay so I got images of most models, all wouden boxes, nothing of the sexyness of the 70s Advent. Although the portable with pop-up mirror is kinda 8) .

Silvia Kristel and her first husband, recently deceased, Flemish author Hugo Claus used to own a 1000(A). There's some old footage of them watching a footmall match on the curved screen. This footage was re-used in a documentary on her life following the publication of her authobiography around two years ago, don't have the link handy though.

[img=http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=27557;type=avatar[/img]

Seems this image doesn't want to be embedded;-).

And of course the 1000A was the first THX approved projector Wink .
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Advent goodies in an earlier online exchange:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12876540#post12876540
pfloydphanatic

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! i so want one of those novabeams! that looks so cool.. don't care how low res it is Razz
ribaud

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1000A. There used to be a fellow in Kenner, LA who supported the things. He once lent me a jig to measure the emission from my (remaining two) tubes when one went, and then sold me used tubes to match that figure (about 80% of new, as I recall). I don't think he refurbed tubes; he just had a stock of them. I also got a screen from him (they are really delicate -- you can't touch the surface at all). Anyway, I haven't heard from him in a few years. I also went through a few triplers... But the best? I have been able to make mine run either NTSC or PAL. Basically, I have the 1100A RGB inputs to do it.
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfloydphanatic wrote:
wow! i so want one of those novabeams! that looks so cool.. don't care how low res it is Razz

Especially with the promise it entailes:

"Get one of these and all the glamorous, yet classy, ladies will nestle around you in their long, shiny, silky, dresses."

Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Paging xanatos Reply with quote

Hey xanatos,
Can you post some pics showing a screen shot of videobeam 1000 running please?
Thanks
lexx21

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks used to have one when I was a kid. They owned a restaurant and bought it for use there during the '76 olympics. On Saturday mornings my brother and I would go with them to the restaurant and would watch cartoons on it while they got the place ready for the day. I also remember watching the first Saturday Night Live episode on it...lol. That sort of dates the projector quite a bit.

They were definitely cool units Smile
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Advent Videobeam. It was my first projector. I had it hooked up to a Laserdisc player and a Fosgate model 1 Surround processor. I was the only guy in town with surround sound! One day my friends were over watching Apocalypse Now and the shaking from the subwoofer caused the curved screen to fall forward. We all though for a moment that the helicopters were landing on us. To this day it sticks as one of the defining moments of my home theater experience. Very Happy
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one myself, once. But it needed a curved screen that I did not have, so I got practically no use out of it, and traded it to someone
who DID have a screen for it. He got a few years out of it and then traded up.

This was in the days when line doublers existed but they were still very expensive.

CJ
cedarforests

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a Novabeam 100 with the original 6.5' curved screen...it all works! We bought a house with all this amazing equipment in it that the owner had spent nearly $50,000 to set up: McIntosh, Velodyne, Bose, Kloss...it blew our socks off! We still have it all but are moving and need to find a new home for it. Can anyone tell me the best way to sell all this? I read that I can't list it in this forum and want to respect that.[/img]

novabeam100-7.jpg
 Description:
Still going!
 Filesize:  144.67 KB
 Viewed:  17166 Time(s)

novabeam100-7.jpg

View user's photo album (14 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design lives!...sort of.

This is the MCP2000 raster calligraphic projector made by VDC now. Formerly an Evans & Sutherland product.

It's the only other triangular arrangement CRT projector I know of.

This one would bake your home theater. The deflection amps are HUGE, run linear devices, run in class A,
and dissipate something like 1000 watts of heat EACH. There are three per projector. I want the heat sinks off
of one of them, for a special project I'm thinking of.

The tubes are Panasonic P19LUGs or equivalent. The magnetics are pretty special, though.

CJ
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of the curved screens that you need for them. I sold a projector to a woman who had one. Her projector was dead but she wanted to use the existing screen. Much to my surprise, after installing and setting up the new PJ, you could watch it in a fully lit room.

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
cedarforests

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got permission from Curt to post my Novabeam 100 and 6.5 curved screen for sale. Look in the Buy/Sell forum and photos are in my profile.
Smile
View user's photo album (14 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: