Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PJ Sale Broker

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: PJ Sale Broker Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Curt,

Have you thought about being a broker of sorts for projector sales?

People can list projectors they want sold and you can place the projector in a different section on your site. No warranty implied warnings, etc. The money transaction goes through you and then you take a percentage for commission and then pay out the projector seller once they ship it.

You can start selling stuff without even seeing it.

My guess is the warranty issues would grow if people were ignorant and didnt fully understand what they were getting but it would seem that it could increase the flow of traffic here which can help the bottom line, right?

Need to figure out at what percentage the "warranty" risks are outweighed by the money for nothing scheme.
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance in hell that would work !
Please don't smoke what you are smoking when you are using your new Mitre saw Smile
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the risk outweigh the commission? I don't know...many business models seem to work with people just brokering sales and not doing anything with the product itself.

Perhaps this low volume business isn't capable of this?

I am drug free!!! Thumbs Up
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, sales are REALLY slow at this point, so I am reducing stock, and have been for about 12 months or so. Volume wise, Feb of 2008 was almost a record month, but with the lowered pricing overall, it was still only a good, not a great month compared to say Janof 2002 when I think I did $60K alone in projector sales. Those were the days, huh?

So it doesn't make sense at this point to divert any sales away to other people. Plus, a worst case scenario, someone sells a Marquee 9500 with a bad LVPS, I make $200 on the sale, and 6months later I get an email from the buyer saying that his tubes are flat? Nah, I'l pass. The cost of shipping is insane, so having people sending me sets to go through is out of the question as it could easily add $400 to the bottom line of the set, never mind my time to check the set out.

PSI in Wisconsin used to sell sets on commission, I think they charged 25%, and I think it worked OK for them, but they did it when a Marquee 8500 was going for $5500.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose the profit on these is shrinking by the day.

I was just thinking because I think there are several here that have more than one projector just sitting around. If you get an email with a beginner looking for a projector and he doesn't want to spend $100 shipping on a $400 set, you could forward him some local PJ contact info and take some commission for connecting the dots. Finder's fee!

Wow, $60K. That IS impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: