Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' Q/A thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_Web

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Or just leave the browser open.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Mac users Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I guess I figured in this day and age everyone had a $20 wireless router as I don't think any laptops built in the last 4-5 years come without wireless.

Kal

Bingo. Hence this post:

Fellow Mac users will be happy to know that I have successfully used HCFR software and the Eye One sensor on a G3 iBook running OS 10.2.8 under Virtual PC 6.1.2. Only "problem" is that it needs to be set for CRT, not LCD. And, of course, you have to put up with XP. Razz
delphiplasma

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You may, or may not, remember I originally had a gamma problem with my Sony Plasma display. This I have managed to rectify. The problem being with the DVD player. A control, that Sony labels 'DVE' (Digital video enhancement) and is described in the Sony manual as a sharpness control, was the problem. Came by it by accident. I noticed the Grey scale ramp shifting as I moved it from the 3 settings. The control has a distinct effect on the gamma.

Also, I originally posed a question to the forum as to which sensor configuration to use for the following:
Eye one sensor
HCFR Software
Plasma display

After being told to use the 'LCD' setting, rather than the 'Plasma' setting, that I had been using, I set about testing the measurements for the 2 modes.

Both modes show the same measurements for gamma, but when it comes to grey scale measurement, the measurements are very different. What mode should I be using to measure a plasma display?

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set it to Plasma. See step 1.10 in the guide.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
GGA

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Graph 2 - Gamma:

Gamma (or more accurately the gamma correction value) controls the overall brightness of an image or how fast the brightness curve comes out of fast.

Not sure what that means. Should the last "fast" read "black"?????????

Also if the projector is HD like all the new 1080p digitals, shouldn't we always use Rec709 to calibrate even if the source is SD?

Congratulations on this exceptional tutorial. I have always wanted to do a calibration but have resisted for all the reasons you listed in your introduction. The tutorial has inspired to buy the colorimeter and attempt my own calibration. Many, many thanks.

Look forward to the next installments.

=
George
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GGA: Thanks for heads up - yes, that should be "how fast the brightness curve comes out of BLACK".

Re: using Rec601 or 709, use 709 if you watch any HD material on the display. It won't matter for the greyscale calibration however, only when you go to measure primaries (the upcoming section that's taking me forever to find the time to write - I'm about 1/2 done so far).

Kal

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're playing editor, here's something I noticed:

"To adjust electronically either use the remote (on newer electrostatic CRT projectors) or the G2 pot (older electromagnetic CRT projectors). See your user manual on how to access this control. "

Electrostatic and electromagnetic should be reversed.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Re: using Rec601 or 709, use 709 if you watch any HD material on the display. It won't matter for the greyscale calibration however, only when you go to measure primaries (the upcoming section that's taking me forever to find the time to write - I'm about 1/2 done so far).

So as part of that, have you tried that test we discussed, displaying SD and HD content to see if the primaries change? I'm 100% sure they can't, but..... Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
While we're playing editor, here's something I noticed:

"To adjust electronically either use the remote (on newer electrostatic CRT projectors) or the G2 pot (older electromagnetic CRT projectors). See your user manual on how to access this control. "

Electrostatic and electromagnetic should be reversed.

Oops! Yep. That's backwards. I'll fix it...

Gary: primaries are fixed for the display unless it has advanced CMS functionality. So it doesn't matter if the source is SD or HD, the primaries will display the same.

Kal

delphiplasma

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew!!! thanks for that, Kal.

Can't wait to see the Primaries/secondaries article!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Gary: primaries are fixed for the display unless it has advanced CMS functionality. So it doesn't matter if the source is SD or HD, the primaries will display the same.

That's what I thought too, but I didn't think you were convinced when we last talked about it. Sounds like you are now. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Smile Been doing more research into it!

Kal

SGN2008

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: How to attach Eye-One Display LT to projector screen Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

I've read your GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES. I want to calibrate my DLP front projector. I plan to buy Eye-One Display LT. In STEP 1.11 in the guide, I don't see how to put Eye-One Display LT sensor on projector screen, please advise.
You guide is very useful, thanks a lot.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to attach Eye-One Display LT to projector screen Reply with quote

SGN2008 wrote:
Hi Kal,

I've read your GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES. I want to calibrate my DLP front projector. I plan to buy Eye-One Display LT. In STEP 1.11 in the guide, I don't see how to put Eye-One Display LT sensor on projector screen, please advise.
You guide is very useful, thanks a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean or which part of STEP 1.11 isn't clear for someone with a front projector. Can you elaborate?

You attach the probe to your tripod (masking tape works fine) and face the screen. Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
For front projector setups with screens there's a bit more work involved: we need to position the sensor so that it's perfectly square to the screen. We do this by adjusting the position until the light reading we get is at a maximum. Attach the sensor to the tripod with some masking tape, rubber bands, or the free Spyder2 tripod mount. It doesn't have to be a good solid mount. It just needs to not move or shift while you take readings.

Forum member Andrew Low sent us this tip: A standard 1/4″-20 nut will screw onto a standard tripod mount. Simply glue the nut to the Spyder2 as follows:

Using your tripod, place the sensor 3-4 inches from the screen, slightly below center, and titled upwards facing the screen as shown here for the Spyder2:

A closeup:

The Eye-One probe attaches in a similar manner to the Spyder2 probe. Simply use masking tape or something similar to hold it to the tripod such that the little suction cups on the underside of the probe face the screen.

If your projetor is floor mounted you'll have to put the sensor off the side a bit and angle towards the center of the screen instead. Exact placement isn't critical at this point as we will be fine-tuning it in the following steps.

Kal

Plasmid

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite surprised this thread is only three pages long.

I came across the grayscale guide a week or so ago. After quickly skimming through it, I felt overwhelmed and decided not to pursue this type of calibration. I already had the DVE blue-ray disc, and even though I wasn't very successful when I used it to try and calibrate my friend's LCD, I thought it was the best choice I had, especially since I wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars to professionally calibrate my TV.

Last week, I got my own Samsung plasma and started breaking it in. That's when i came across your guide again. This time, I started reading it from the start. I think it was the testimonials that made me realize how simple the steps were presented. I think I only got to the equipment needed section when I rushed to Amazon and order the Eye-One Display LT. I have since read the guide once and re-read a great deal of it. I think I'm fully prepared for the actual calibration, which is great since the Eye-One arrives tomorrow.

It's funny: I'm more excited about calibrating it than I am about watching it.

I plan on taking a few before and after shots to compare and then share on this board. I'm all set, but I have some questions regarding my specific plasma TV:

1. I believe I've located my RBG HighEnd and RBG LowEnd controls, but I'd like to be positive before doing anything. In my picture settings menu, I have some controls under "White Balance." These controls are labeled either Offset or Gain, with each of the three colors corresponding to both. The R-Gain, G-Gain, and B-Gain are, of course, the RGB HighEnd controls. However, am I correct in assuming the R-Offset, G-Offset, and B-Offset are the RGB LowEnd controls?

2. I've turned off all advance settings (i.e. Digital NR, Movie Plus, Edge Enhancement). Should I also leave Black Adjust and Dynamic Contrast off as well?

3. Finally, I have something called My Colour Control, which controls individual Pink, Green, Blue, and White. Should I use this at all? I'm mostly referring to the last part of your guide, Advanced Colour Management. I don't have any options to adjust my set's primaries, so would these help in any way?

Thanks for the great guide and I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with my results.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasmid wrote:
It's funny: I'm more excited about calibrating it than I am about watching it.

Welcome to the club! Wink

Quote:
I plan on taking a few before and after shots to compare and then share on this board.

That would be great! I've love to see them!

Quote:
1. I believe I've located my RBG HighEnd and RBG LowEnd controls, but I'd like to be positive before doing anything. In my picture settings menu, I have some controls under "White Balance." These controls are labeled either Offset or Gain, with each of the three colors corresponding to both. The R-Gain, G-Gain, and B-Gain are, of course, the RGB HighEnd controls. However, am I correct in assuming the R-Offset, G-Offset, and B-Offset are the RGB LowEnd controls?

I would assume they are. It certainly sounds like they are. I don't see what else they could be.

Quote:
2. I've turned off all advance settings (i.e. Digital NR, Movie Plus, Edge Enhancement). Should I also leave Black Adjust and Dynamic Contrast off as well?

Good question. Very display specific. What does the manual say those features do?

Quote:
3. Finally, I have something called My Colour Control, which controls individual Pink, Green, Blue, and White. Should I use this at all? I'm mostly referring to the last part of your guide, Advanced Colour Management. I don't have any options to adjust my set's primaries, so would these help in any way?

I don't know as I don't know what those controls do in your TV I'm afraid.

Kal

LastButNotLeast

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasmid wrote:
Thanks for the great guide and I'll hopefully be back tomorrow with my results.

Just make sure to write down your original settings and keep them in a safe place.
Learned that lesson (and many others) the hard way.
Good luck, and have fun.
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasmid commented:
> I'm quite surprised this thread is only three pages long. <

I'm not. It's to be expected, when the topic and discussion about it are separated. Proximity fosters a lot more immediate response.

Kal, while I agree with your decision to keep the main Guide topic locked, I really think you at least need to have a link from there over to here. When you conclude with, "Comments/corrections are appreciated! [Topic LOCKED]", it's like, "Huh? OK, where?". Sure, people can track it down, but that shouldn't be necessary. You'll get a lot more feedback if people can get here easily after reading the Guide.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a link Tim. In the closing comments section I say:

Quote:
Comments and feedback are appreciated. We've locked this thread to keep it clean, but you may post your questions or comments in our official 'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' Q/A thread or start a new thread in our Audio & Video Calibration forum".

But then that's 20,000 words into the guide. Smile

You're entirely correct that people will not post as much because the REPLY button is locked. I do this a little bit on purpose to make people have to look. When I allowed people to post directly in the thread, people would often ask questions for things that were already mentioned right in the guide. It's a quick knee-jerk reaction when you're allowed to post easily.

People just didn't spend the time to look around a bit right in the guide to get the answer they wanted. I really don't want to spend my entire life linking people to information already in the guide. Wink So I make them hunt a bit. This way if/when they post, it's more likely to be a legit question or comment as they've read to the end and see where questions should be posted.

I also used to have my email address at the bottom of the guide, but I would much rather that people post on the forum so that when I reply others can benefit as well. It also gets them to register too. While I wrote this guide mostly for the 'greater good' of HT everywhere (sounds cheesy) at the same time I wrote it to get more people over to this site. The more eyes we get over here, the more successful we are. I'm trying to grow this site and forum as much as possible. I've posted links to this guide in over a dozen other HT forums and the response has been very good.

By all means, if any of you guys want to mention this guide anywhere please feel free to do so. I'm going to create a banner for it as well that people will be able to use on their own sites if they wish.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plasmid

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Quote:

Good question. Very display specific. What does the manual say those features do?

Not much, unfortunately:

Black Adjust: Off/Low/Medium/High
You can directly select the black level on the screen to adjust the screen depth.

Dynamic Contrast: Off/Low/Medium/High
You can adjust the screen contrast so that the optimal contrast is provided.

From that description, I think leaving them off would be the better choice. It seems somewhat artificial from the description.

Anyway, two more minutes and I hit the 30-minute mark. My Eye-One has been warming up on my plasma long enough. I'll be back with the results when I'm done.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 3 of 21
Jump to: