Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

'Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies' Q/A thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Secondary Colors Luminance ( Y - values ) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
SecondaryColorsSent wrote:
(1) Can we have the Rec.601 / Rec.709 luminance or Y-values for the Secondary Colors? You listed the Y-values for the primary colors but skipped those values for the secondary colors.

I found this complete list:

Code:
SMPTE-C                               Rec. 709           
     x         y         Y                  x         y         Y
R    0.6300    0.3400    0.2124        R    0.6400    0.3300    0.2126
G    0.3100    0.5950    0.7011        G    0.3000    0.6000    0.7152
B    0.1550    0.0700    0.0866        B    0.1500    0.0600    0.0722
Y    0.4209    0.5067    0.9134        Y    0.4193    0.5053    0.9278
C    0.2306    0.3262    0.7876        C    0.2246    0.3287    0.7874
M    0.3144    0.1606    0.2989        M    0.3209    0.1542    0.2848
W    0.3127    0.3290    1.0000        W    0.3127    0.3290    1.0000

EBU                                    DCI           
     x         y         Y                  x         y         Y
R    0.6400    0.3300    0.2220        R    0.6800    0.3200    0.2095
G    0.2900    0.6000    0.7067        G    0.2650    0.6900    0.7216
B    0.1500    0.0600    0.0713        B    0.1500    0.0600    0.0689
Y    0.4172    0.5018    0.9287        Y    0.4248    0.5476    0.9311
C    0.2197    0.3287    0.7780        C    0.2048    0.3602    0.7905
M    0.3271    0.1576    0.2933        M    0.3424    0.1544    0.2784
W    0.3127    0.3290    1.0000        W    0.3140    0.3510    1.0000

Comes from here.

Quote:
(2) Should I use RGB Limited, RGB Full, or YPbPc YPrPc for the PS3 through HDMI for gaming?

I don't know. What you use is more of a function of how your source interacts with your display, not the type of content you're displaying (your display doesn't know if you're watching a video game, a soap-opera, or an epic like Lawrence of Arabia).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
SecondaryColorsSent

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Secondary Colors Luminance Math Reply with quote

Kal,

Can we have the mathetic calculations for setting the secondary color luminance values? For instance, your guide and Tom's guide recommended that red should be about 21% of white's luminance. But both guides skipped the calculations for the secondary colors.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Secondary Colors Luminance Math Reply with quote

SecondaryColorsSent wrote:
Kal,

Can we have the mathetic calculations for setting the secondary color luminance values? For instance, your guide and Tom's guide recommended that red should be about 21% of white's luminance. But both guides skipped the calculations for the secondary colors.

Sorry, I have no idea what those calculations would be. Tom's a lot smarter about this stuff than I - if he doesn't provide the info it's probably because it's not needed for some reason. I'd suggest asking in his thread.

Kal

Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Thank you thank you thank you :D Reply with quote

Kal I literally just signed up to thank you so much for your guide. I recently bought a LG 50PZ750 and had been searching for a budget concious way to have it calibrated. I used the DVE-HD disk and was fairly happy with the results, however seeing all those greyscale and CMS numbers just sitting at zero was haunting me. While browsing around last week I stumbled across your guide and read the entire thing, confident I could do this I found an eye one on eBay for 45 bucks. Once it arrived I started setting things up and was pretty shocked at how close the tv was out of the box with most delta Es near or around 10...plus my D65 readings were all spread pretty close to the optimal setting. I did run the greyscale though and loved that my tv has a 20 point ire system. So I kinda strayed from your guide, but thanks to you I knew exactly what I was looking for in each ire point and when finished my D65 all pretty much sat on top each other and my delta Es were all below 3. YAY!!!! Then onto the CMS, and when finished I had one beautiful television picture. Thanks to your guide, something that would have cost me 200 bucks at Best Buy only cost me about 65 bucks. Again thank you thank you thank you.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the guide!

Kal

Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: One question Reply with quote

I do have one question, on my color management the closest I could get on blue and red were 10.5 DeltaE and 12.8 DeltaE respectfully, all my other colors were under 10 and near 3, and my triangle nearly sat on top of the reference triangle. Is this my particular display? I will say that I have my color gamut set as wide instead of standard, is standard possibly closer, and if I change from wide to standard will I have to redo the whole greyscale? Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: One question Reply with quote

Guarddog13 wrote:
I do have one question, on my color management the closest I could get on blue and red were 10.5 DeltaE and 12.8 DeltaE respectfully, all my other colors were under 10 and near 3, and my triangle nearly sat on top of the reference triangle. Is this my particular display?

It could be any number of things. With tens of thousands of different displays in existance I have no idea if that's something about your specific make/model of display that can't be fixed. It could also be something you're doing incorrectly. It could also be the meter not reading correctly.

Quote:
I will say that I have my color gamut set as wide instead of standard, is standard possibly closer

I don't know. Try it and see. Wide is usually a way for manufacturers to (fakely) increase saturation to make their displays seem more pleasing. Usually. How they do it varies. How well it meets their intents varies. What they actually mean to do in the first place varies too. It may not be what I think it is. Manufacturers tend to use all sorts of different terms and names for things to try and make their displays seem to have some unique feature that nobody else does.

Quote:
I change from wide to standard will I have to redo the whole greyscale?

Probably not. I would check it anyway. There may be some tweaks required.

Kal

Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retried with setting it to standard, ended up switching it back and played with the colors that were off. I was able to get everything except that pesky blue under 10 no matter what I did it wouldn't get closer than 12.1. However, it's barely noticeable when watching programs, so it's where it'll stay. For what I payed, compared to what I would've payed a pro, the results are unbelievable. Again thank you for the guide. I most definitely will be passing on the word.
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guarddog13 wrote:
I retried with setting it to standard, ended up switching it back and played with the colors that were off. I was able to get everything except that pesky blue under 10 no matter what I did it wouldn't get closer than 12.1. However, it's barely noticeable when watching programs, so it's where it'll stay. For what I payed, compared to what I would've payed a pro, the results are unbelievable. Again thank you for the guide. I most definitely will be passing on the word.

Sometimes it is just the design of the monitor itself. Even with my outboard grayscale and color management processor, my monitor has a distinct push towards the blue(much like yours) which is built right in to the set's color decoder itself and realistically there is not much one can do about it without actually replacing the whole decoder. Joe Kane, head of the ISF foundation and creator of the DVE discs has talked about this for years in that many manufacturers do this intentionally to their displays to differentiate them from their competitors so they will have a distinct "look". The only problem is that it plays havoc in trying to achieve total color accuracy.

When doing your calibrations, you can only try to tweak it and if it looks OK to you, then that is all that matters. As you have seen, doing the calibration is a lot better than doing nothing.
Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and thanks for the input Ron. For what I payed for this tv, an absolute steal at ABC Warehouse, and what I payed to DIY my calibration I have no complaints. It sure was frustrating though when trying to set it I'd move the Blue Color and Blue Tint setting in both directions and the x value would pop all over the place but the y value would just mock me and sit in place or move further away from its point. So I just got the x value as close as it would let me without letting the the y move to far out. Frustrating indeed but when I turned it on direcTV even my wife commented on how good the picture looks, and normally shes just meh about those things and says "a tv picture is a tv picture." lol
Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a question, I just was looking at my greyscale ramp and noticed that the mid range is kind of yellowish is this normal after calibration? Could I have a bad i1? Should I calibrate it often maybe cause of the warmth of the plasma?Please help this driving me nuts.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guarddog13 wrote:
So I have a question, I just was looking at my greyscale ramp and noticed that the mid range is kind of yellowish is this normal after calibration? Could I have a bad i1? Should I calibrate it often maybe cause of the warmth of the plasma?Please help this driving me nuts.

I'm not sure what "ramp" you're talking about.
If it's supposed to look grey but it looks yellow then something is not right.

Again, I have no idea if that's something about your specific make/model of display that can't be fixed. It could also be something you're doing incorrectly. It could also be the meter not reading correctly. It could also be the meter is defective or drifted. Without comparing it against a known reference meter there's no way to know.

When measuring a display that gets hot, leave it on the display for ~30 minutes to let it get used to the temp. This is mentioned in Part 1 of the guide.

Kal

Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured out what it was my gamma level was straight till about 70 then spiked, then fell way down past 1.3...I had my contrast at ftl 35 dropped it down to about 30 and redid the greyscale. The color tinge in the greyscale ramp, it's the 'reverse greyscale ramp' on DVE DVD, went away after I did the above steps. And the gamma is in a straight line..
Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed something else lately I used the DVE on my PS3 to set the black level and on directv it seems just a bit bright. I got lucky today and was able to record an smpte color bar that popped up during a show. When using the i1 I had to eyeball my level from PS3 as you mentioned in your guide we might have to do. So my question is do different sources have different black levels? Basically, is using the smpte color bars directly from the source a better way to set black level, or am I better off keeping with the DVE black level?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guarddog13 wrote:
I have noticed something else lately I used the DVE on my PS3 to set the black level and on directv it seems just a bit bright. I got lucky today and was able to record an smpte color bar that popped up during a show. When using the i1 I had to eyeball my level from PS3 as you mentioned in your guide we might have to do. So my question is do different sources have different black levels? Basically, is using the smpte color bars directly from the source a better way to set black level, or am I better off keeping with the DVE black level?

Different sources have different black levels. DVE is not the source. The DVD or Blu-ray player is the source.

Different channels on TV have different levels. Hell, different SHOWS on the same channel can have different levels. I would not use something broadcast to set levels.

I usually set levels with my best known/stable source: My Blu-ray player. TV be damned. It's all over the place.

Kal

Guarddog13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Guarddog13 wrote:

Different sources have different black levels. DVE is not the source. The DVD or Blu-ray player is the source.

Different channels on TV have different levels. Hell, different SHOWS on the same channel can have different levels. I would not use something broadcast to set levels.

I usually set levels with my best known/stable source: My Blu-ray player. TV be damned. It's all over the place.

Kal

Lmao, thank you. ill leave as is then.
fallengt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm about to buy an used eye-one pro. Which combo should I use? i1 pro + i1display 2 or i1 pro+ i1display 3? My budget is low so i1display 2 probally the best choice, I ain't looking for absolutely perfection but just wonder; Is a profilied i1Display 3 much better than a profilied i1Display 2?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallengt wrote:
Hi all,
I'm about to buy an used eye-one pro. Which combo should I use? i1 pro + i1display 2 or i1 pro+ i1display 3? My budget is low so i1display 2 probally the best choice, I ain't looking for absolutely perfection but just wonder; Is a profilied i1Display 3 much better than a profilied i1Display 2?

The Display 3 is indeed better than the Display 2 but mostly in speed.

That said, HCFR doesn't support the Display 3. So if you mean to use this in HCFR the choice is already made. I've never done meter profiling in HCFR. I think it's possible, I've heard it's not obvious to do.

ChromaPure supports simpler profiling and supports both the Display 2 and the OEM Display 3. More info.

Kal

fallengt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
fallengt wrote:
Hi all,

The Display 3 is indeed better than the Display 2 but mostly in speed.

That said, HCFR doesn't support the Display 3. So if you mean to use this in HCFR the choice is already made. I've never done meter profiling in HCFR. I think it's possible, I've heard it's not obvious to do.

ChromaPure supports simpler profiling and supports both the Display 2 and the OEM Display 3. More info.

Kal

I think I'll go with Display 2 and Eye One Pro combo .How accuracy will they? If they can get to 90-95% accuracy, I'll more than happy with it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to give hard and fast "accuracy" numbers to any meter. It depends on all sorts of factors including exactly what you're measuring.

Read this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22015

That said you should get pretty accurate results if you use the i1 Pro to calibrate the D2 assuming the D2 isn't way off to begin with and i1 Pro works correctly.

Kal

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21
Jump to: