Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Amplifier questions... poor man's temporary and long term.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Amplifier questions... poor man's temporary and long term. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am playing with a Denon DN-A7100 preamp, love the HDMI inputs (for my PS3) and overall design. I am needing some power to drive a set of 5 Velodyne DF-661 speakers.

I won't have the money for an amp for a few months, so I was wondering if I could get by just using the 5 channel analog inputs on my Pioneer AVR (it's 100x5). I am aware that both the Preamp and the AVR have volume levels, so I'd have to fiddle with that to find the right levels to set them at. Has anyone done this? My sub, a Sunfire TruSubwoofer, is self-powered, so no problems there.

Also looking for advice for a nice 5 (or 7) channel amplifier to drive these speakers. The Denon has XLR outputs, so XLR inputs would be great. I'm probably saying this to the wrong group, but I don't need anything overboard... with small kids in the house, I never listen to it all that loud! I'd love something in the $500-$1000 range, but could go a bit more if needed.

Thanks. Thumbs Up
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, this amplifier looks intriguing power and price wise

http://www.emotiva.com/xpa5.html
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a lot of space then a 5 channel amp is the way to go, but why not consider getting three used 'pro' power amps? They rack mount, put out gobs of power, have XLR inputs and you'll have one spare channel. They also will most likely outlast consumer amps.

Check out QSC, Crown, Crest, etc. All can be had in used condition for cheap on eBay.
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea... space is a concern I guess but that might work out.

I have access to a Crown Macro Reference E, it's rated at 760/w/channel... not sure my little Velodyne's would stand up to that power!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, nice amp!!!!!

I use 4 channel amps in my own HT called Inter M. Made in Korea, 150 watts per channel, they've been on 24/7 here for the last 5 years.

www.inter-m.com. Distribution is poor in the US for them, but google them and you'll find some dealers.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of current-model Crown XLS 202's. At 300wpc into my 4-ohm M&K's, they play plenty loud and clean. They're amazing compared to the receiver's amps I was using (which was no slouch). I paid about $300 ea., but there's a dealer selling refurbs for about $200 on fleabay. New, they have excellent warranties. They do sound great. The only complaint I have is that because they're commercial gear designed for harsh environments, they have some pretty loud fans. I need to mod them to run way slower, but haven't gotten around to it, yet. It's also a good thing, because one of them has a little turn-off thump I need to send in to have repaired under warranty.

That said, the Emotiva at $799 looks like a damn good buy if it performs up to spec. If they had a 6-ch version that was close to that price, I'd be all over it. You're only talking about $160 or so per channel - which isn't much more than I paid for my Crowns. More power with lower THD numbers and no fans... What's not to like? Kal and I were talking about the Emotiva stuff in another thread if you want to look there. I hadn't even ever heard of it until he mentioned it as a reasonable-cost separates alternative to receiver power.

Speaker wattage question...

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for my poor man's interim solution, anyone have any feedback?
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoosesNephew wrote:
So, for my poor man's interim solution, anyone have any feedback?

Yes, your solution will work. By using the analog inputs, you actually bypass everything and go straight to the amps. It is essentially just like having an external amp (you are using the AVR for its amp section only).

As SC says, commercial amps are LOUD. I would ONLY consider using them if your equipment is completely sealed off from your listening room (for instance, in another room).

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, should work fine - like Dave says. If you don't ever listen very loud, you'll probably end up setting the volume level on the AVR at around 1/2. That'll probably give you a nice balance between little to no noise and enough amplification within the range of the attenuator on the prepro. What you could do to set it is, load up a loud scene in your player. Turn your AVR all the way down, turn the prepro up to -0db, then slowly turn up the AVR until it's about as loud as you'll ever want it. Done.

I hadn't seen that Denon Professional piece before. Nice. I've been looking at AVR's and had kind of written off separates because they're so damn expensive - usually about double a comparable AVR. But, that Denon Professional prepro is only a little more than $800 online. If they come out with an updated version with HDMI 1.3 and advanced codecs, I'd be seriously interested. How do you like it?

SC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

As SC says, commercial amps are LOUD.

Wait a sec. A watt is a watt, so while you can get massively large commercial amps, a jump from 50 to 100 watts is only 3db. So while that's 'twice' the volume, it's really only barely perceivable as an increase in volume.

Now, amp sensitivity is a different beast altogether. If you have an amp that has an input set high, then yes, a volume setting say at 9:00 might be screaming loud. That has nothing to do with commercial vs consumer amps, that's just the commercial amp being more sensitive than a consumer amp.

Most commercial amps have a front or rear mounted volume control, so just turn that down so you can turn the preamp/receiver up.

Going back to that speaker post that I think is linked to above, I'd always rather put in larger amps than smaller ones, just like I'd rather run a larger V6 engine at 3000 RPM continuously climbing a hill than constantly redlining a little 4 cyl engine doing the same work. Ditto for small amplifiers vs larger ones.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I think he meant the fans are loud. Wink

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, what SC said. The commercial amps have loud fans that most HT folks would find offensive if they were sitting 6-8 feet from them.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really find them offensive as much as just annoying. Wink

Seriously - Dave's right - most commercial amps that have fans are annoying in a nice quiet HT environment. Mine are almost as loud as the G70 when I don't put a little cover piece in that section of the rack that blocks most of the sound. But, they really need to be in a separate room from the HT or modded to reduce or eliminate the fan noise. Most of the guys that use the Crown amps I use completely disable the fans or insert a thermo-switch to allow the fans on only in the event the amp gets too warm. Given the relatively light duty they see in HT, they rarely even get warm, let alone hot enough to do any damage.

The fans are really there for commercial use. These amps typically drive large monitors, installed in a road rack in a hot smoky bar or in the hot summer sun on a 95-degree day sandwiched between a bunch more amps all pumping out the heat.

Running even large floor-standing speakers in an air-conditioned HT is a walk in the park for a prosound amp.

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. Smile

I didn't know that they would not cook with the fans disabled. Interesting option.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Curt, what SC said. The commercial amps have loud fans that most HT folks would find offensive if they were sitting 6-8 feet from them.
\

DOH! Very Happy

There are however lots of 'studio' type of convection cooled amps, and most class AB amps at this point have multispeed fans that don't kick in until you've run the amp loud for long periods of time. I can't hear my Inter M amps, and I''ve got my rack right behid the couch.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Inter M amps must be a lot quieter. The Crown's are multi-speed and they range from mildly annoying at normal operating temps (low speed) to amazingly obnoxious (full speed). I've never heard them run at anything besides slow (still annoying) during normal operation. I've heard the fans at full-speed only during power-on test. Man, are they ever obnoxious at that speed.

SC
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Going back to that speaker post that I think is linked to above, I'd always rather put in larger amps than smaller ones, just like I'd rather run a larger V6 engine at 3000 RPM continuously climbing a hill than constantly redlining a little 4 cyl engine doing the same work. Ditto for small amplifiers vs larger ones.

Huh... I own a Subaru Impreza STI, turbo-charged 2.5l 4 cyl 293hp. =) Perhaps we are exact opposites!?!? Not really...

First off, thanks for the responses to the "poor man's amp"... glad it will work until I have the cash available.

As for long term, I live in a 1800 sq ft split-level house with wife and kids, so fan noise would be more of an issue that lack of volume. (I do understand over powering clean sound is better than under powering with dirty). My RP DLP TV has a fan, so does the PS3, so yet another would be unpleasant especially if you people are calling them irritating. My viewing area is about 7' back from the audio rack.

So... other than the aforementioned 5 channel / $800 amp, any other recommendations? Is it worth stepping up to a 7 channel for a few extra hundred for future-proofing?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting on the fan noise. I'm running QSC's and I'm occasionally putting my hand near the fan to see if it,s running because I don't hear it.
Meese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

I hadn't seen that Denon Professional piece before. Nice. I've been looking at AVR's and had kind of written off separates because they're so damn expensive - usually about double a comparable AVR. But, that Denon Professional prepro is only a little more than $800 online. If they come out with an updated version with HDMI 1.3 and advanced codecs, I'd be seriously interested. How do you like it?

I haven't played with it in a live setup yet, so yet to see, but from what I've read it should be nice.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a technics 5.1 receiver that I use to drive my mains... it's got a fan sticking out of the back, and it gets hot enough to fry bacon - probably literally. If you accidentally lean on it, you go "Yeaaugh!" in a second or two. Oddly, that's apparently normal for these things, and it's still kicking after 5 years of having the ever-loving hell pounded out of it by loud trance music.

Obviously not pro gear. Very Happy

Still, it's quiet, and it does a passable job of driving my Cerwin Vegas at 4ohms (They're rated 250 watts @ 4ohms).

I have a pseudo-separate setup, where I use my best kit for the fronts and drive the rest with separate amps - one for the center, one for the surrounds, and a whole crew of them for the subs. This seems to work reasonably well, though I haven't been in a kick-ass HT to compare. I know it matches or exceeds almost all of the commercial theaters I've been in.

If you want a commercial theater nightmare - I watched the latest Harry Potter in a locally owned theater that's usually fantastic. But they put in another, smaller screen - which is fine, and the sound is good as those guys care about sound. But there was a big f*ck-off HVAC vent in the middle of the room, which periodically turned on and made a jet-engine kind of sound.

So you'd have Harry Potter just about to get all mushy with some chick, and it's all quiet as they get close, and then

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wonderful stuff.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: