Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Star Wars nerd talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Star Wars nerd talk Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK nerds,
I just saw the ending of "Return of the Jedi" on Spike.
It had Hayden Christensen in the last scene with Yoda and Alec Guinness as "ghosts".
What versions of this movie had Hayden replace Sebastian Shaw? is he replaced in all scenes or just the last one?

hopefully they will release these all on bluray soon.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never noticed that, now i have to watch my DVD's and see if these are the same version.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas' ""improved"" version (with all the new CGI &etc) put Hayden Christiansen in there. Personally I thought it was an incredibly cheesy and tacky move that was apparently pandering for maximized sales of the newer SW movies. WTF was wrong with Sebastian Shaw? He was "Anakin" at the time of his death, he was "Anakin" as Luke knew him, and he should have continued to be the ghost of Anakin.

Now if he'd replaced Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor, he probably would have had a riot on his hands. But shoving Christiansen in as Anakin was just as bad.

Hopefully they will fix this gaffe, along with other screwups like "Han not shooting Greedo first, because the Good Guy wouldn't do that" in the BR release.
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised when I saw that scene which is what prompted me to post about it.

I thought Shaw was a bad cast for the part myself but that is beside the point.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guy's hear Kenny Baker's in the hospital for asthma?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
George Lucas' ""improved"" version (with all the new CGI &etc) put Hayden Christiansen in there. Personally I thought it was an incredibly cheesy and tacky move that was apparently pandering for maximized sales of the newer SW movies. WTF was wrong with Sebastian Shaw? He was "Anakin" at the time of his death, he was "Anakin" as Luke knew him, and he should have continued to be the ghost of Anakin.

Now if he'd replaced Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor, he probably would have had a riot on his hands. But shoving Christiansen in as Anakin was just as bad.

Hopefully they will fix this gaffe, along with other screwups like "Han not shooting Greedo first, because the Good Guy wouldn't do that" in the BR release.

Yeah, I wonder if they should have panned back to Luke with a confused look on his face like "Who the f#$k is that?".Smile He may have thought it was Qui Gon, Mace or even Dooku.Very Happy

The Greedo thing was pretty stupid as well. Shooting Greedo first shows where he was at the time and how he transformed into a good guy. Plus, it is not like he killed a cop.Smile
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas Must Die

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Yeah, I wonder if they should have panned back to Luke with a confused look on his face like "Who the f#$k is that?".Smile

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! I almost pissed my pants! POST OF THE YEAR SO FAR FOR ME!!!!

Why has George Lucas not been killed yet?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal or No deal is a star wars edition. lol its kinda funny and the chick playing is a cutie star wars fan ! Wink

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
George Lucas' ""improved"" version (with all the new CGI &etc) put Hayden Christiansen in there. Personally I thought it was an incredibly cheesy

And star wars is not incredibly cheesy in its own right? Razz

garyfritz wrote:

Personally, I like Star Wars OK and my 5 year old is starting to love it. But really people, it is not THAT great. Who cares if he wants to revisit and change things?!?!? In fact, most of the changes don't amount to anything, except for this one. This ones changes a character, so I can see bitching about it. But in the end, it is not the Mona Lisa or the Venus de Milo we are talking about here people--it is a piece of pop culture with bad acting--nothing more!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an interview long time ago with Harrison Ford and they were talking about when they first went to be cast and had to read the lines. After they all got picked for the parts they were laughing amongst them selves and saying "is this guy serious?" he wants us to say this or that. they thought the lines were ridiculous, so when they were shooting they decided to just go over the top and over act and not be serious with their acting. Then After the shoot they would all laugh at how much this movie was going to flop, then when they saw the movie after all the editing and stuff was done they realized that their goofiness and non chalant actually was the best thing they could have done . The acting was actually better because of not being pressured to act, it was just natural, and Harrison attributes that, as well as story line to the success of Star wars. Many critics also said the same thing after hearing the interview, so Bad acting? I think Not.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas has made a FRIGGIN FORTUNE by basically recreating the Sat afternoon matinee of his childhood.

The movies are great for what they are. Is Star Wars, Citizen Kane? NO. But they were great entertaining films. Star Wars changed the movie industry.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you love or like Star Wars or not, it was and still is very important to a great many people. I don't think it's because the acting was great or the special effects were spectacular or for any one reason, but for a number of reasons. Chief among them is that the world GL created was really a world where meany people wanted to go and live in and be a part of. The original trilogy is a materpiece for that reason alone, not because it was masterfully acted or directed or anything. I love Star Wars myself, the original trilogy, not the new one. The new trilogy takes almost everything we love about the original and pisses on it. I wish GL would re release the original trilogy untouched by new effects, but definitely cleaned up to the Nth degree and presented in the best PQ possible. It deserves that.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcloud wrote:
Whether you love or like Star Wars or not, it was and still is very important to a great many people.

And this is my point! All things considered, if something like Star Wars is very important to you, you have your values WAAAAAY out of whack!

lordcloud wrote:
It deserves that.

It, in and of itself, deserves nothing. It was created to make a ton of money and did that. You might argue that the fans (noted above who have a seriously whacked value system) deserve it, but certainly the movie itself does not.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I saw an interview long time ago with Harrison Ford and they were talking about when they first went to be cast and had to read the lines. After they all got picked for the parts they were laughing amongst them selves and saying "is this guy serious?" he wants us to say this or that. they thought the lines were ridiculous, so when they were shooting they decided to just go over the top and over act and not be serious with their acting. Then After the shoot they would all laugh at how much this movie was going to flop, then when they saw the movie after all the editing and stuff was done they realized that their goofiness and non chalant actually was the best thing they could have done . The acting was actually better because of not being pressured to act, it was just natural, and Harrison attributes that, as well as story line to the success of Star wars. Many critics also said the same thing after hearing the interview, so Bad acting? I think Not.

Athanasios

First, you have to remember, had the movie flopped, it would be seen for what it is--bad acting and all. The lame story and bad acting did not matter (just like it didn't matter in Star Trek) because their is to great of a lack of Sci Fi, so fans cling to anything not completely and utterly awful. Thus, only because of this and doing things in a movie that people have not seen is why the success. Only because of this do we come up with lame explanations to explain away the bad acting as appropriate such as you have pointed out.

Go watch some of the Luke whining lines and tell me any of Mark H's stuff can be actually classified as "acting!"

Then you can explain to me how a parsec is a unit of time!

Lastly, modeling space combat on WW2 airplanes is just plain STUPID. That is playing to the lowest common denominator. It basically says, "I believe all you people watching this are far too stupid to understand how ships would actually fly in space, so I'm going to dumb it down so your small IQs can follow it." Puh-lease. It would have been much more exciting had he tried to ACTUALLY show us something we never saw before!

lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
lordcloud wrote:
Whether you love or like Star Wars or not, it was and still is very important to a great many people.

And this is my point! All things considered, if something like Star Wars is very important to you, you have your values WAAAAAY out of whack!

lordcloud wrote:
It deserves that.

It, in and of itself, deserves nothing. It was created to make a ton of money and did that. You might argue that the fans (noted above who have a seriously whacked value system) deserve it, but certainly the movie itself does not.

First of all I am a fan of Star Wars, and nothing is wrong my value system. My name is not your name, you live where you live and are married to who you are married to because you are who you are. I may disagree with your choices in life, your choice of spouse, your choice of job, and anything else, but that doesn't mean yours or my value system is out of whack. I'm sure you value things I may not have the least bit of interest in, but I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with those choices. I love Star Wars for what it is; another world that I like visiting. As a matter of fact that's why I like movies period. If you can't understand why Star Wars would be important to someone, then why are you on a forum about movies?

All movies are created to make money, but that makes them no less pieces of art that can, and do strike a chord with people. I can't imagine we would have much art in the world if no one was willing to spend any money on it, so creating something for monetary gain in no way devalues it or makes it any less deserving of preservation. Star Wars, for the simple fact of how many people love it in it's original form, deserves to be preserved in that way. I myself would love it and so would a very large chunk of the world populace. Nothing wrong with that. But I wold argue that there is something very wrong in attacking anyone's value system because a movie is important to them. You're almost suggesting that more "important" things can't be important to me simply because Star Wars is. That's just stupid.

Last edited by lordcloud on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is sooo not right, That movie is full of morale values that most of us who were of an impressionalble age( me 11) when we saw it still keep today. The classic battle between good and bad, A good person falling out of grace, a romantic love story, the discovery of a long lost family member and the instant feelings love that brings, the sons love of a father who doesnt deserve it. Those are values i think most of us should posses or strive to achieve !!! That movie has become a part of peoples lives and fond memories of a time when movies were magical, to me that feeling is not as it use to be. Sure movies are better acted,produced more to real life with all the technical advisors being used top make the movie "real". Having said that you still see space movies where you hear the sound of an explosion in space, even back in 1p77 i knew that wehn watching Star Wars for the First time with all 12 of my 1st cousins. But that is what its about, watching movies, to take you to a place other than where you are now.

As to it was made to make money, GL did not even think he was going to make his money back, it was passed on by 4 movie houses before Fox took a chance with it. I for one am glad he made lots of money from it. that what they are in business for. If Star wars wasnt such a big hit maybe the Indiana Jones movies might not have come to be.

But this is just my opinion and you can continue put out insults at your whim.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcloud wrote:
Person99 wrote:
lordcloud wrote:

lordcloud wrote:
It deserves that.

First of all I am a fan of Star Wars, and nothing is wrong my value system. My name is not your name, you live where you live and are married to who you are married to because you are who you are. I may disagree with your choices in life, your choice of spouse, your choice of job, and anything else, but that doesn't mean yours or my value system is out of whack. I'm sure you value things I may not have the least bit of interest in, but I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with those choices. I love Star Wars for what it is; another world that I like visiting. As a matter of fact that's why I like movies period. If you can't understand why Star Wars would be important to someone, then why are you on a forum about movies?

All movies are created to make money, but that makes them no less pieces of art that can, and do strike a chord with people. I can't imagine we would have much art in the world if no one was willing to spend any money on it, so creating something for monetary gain in no way devalues it or makes it any less capable of of deserving preservation. Star Wars, for the simple fact of how many people love it in it's original form, deserves to be preserved in that way. I myself would love it and so would a very large chunk of the world populace. Nothing wrong with that. But I wold argue that there is something very wrong in attacking anyone's value system because a movie is important to them. You're almost suggesting that more "important" things can't be important to me simply because Star Wars is. That's just stupid.

Well said !!!

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah what the hell just for the fun of it now!

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

NewbieDAN

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for those Storm troopers about to burst through the door any second now!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: