Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What announced movies are you looking forward to on Blu-ray?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: What announced movies are you looking forward to on Blu-ray? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A lot of threads about what movies people hope to eventually see on Blu-ray, but what about the ones that have been announced that are actually coming out soon? What are you looking forward to watching?

Here's my list!

April 29, 2008

The Golden Compass (New Line)

Just came out a couple of days ago... it's gotten mixed reviews but I'm a fan of this genre.

May 13, 2008

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Fox)

The transfer on this classic supposed to be fantastic. I've actually never seen it so I'm looking forward to seeing it for the first time in HD.

Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (Fox)

No details known yet about this one but I can only imagine what those cannon shots would sound like in lossless audio! (I really need to upgrade)

May 20, 2008

National Treasure: Book of Secrets (Walt Disney)

Campy, not to serious fun. The first one was a bit over the top but leave your brain at the door and it's a fun ride.

V for Vendetta (Warner)

One of my favourites! Finally coming out on Blu-ray. Been out on HD DVD for a looooong time.

June 03, 2008

Battle of Britain (MGM)

A Bridge Too Far (MGM)

The Longest Day (Fox)

Patton (Fox)

Been waiting for some of these classics to come out on HD to give then the justice they deserve. Though I'm not sure about The Longest Day (I hate John Wayne - the guy can't act his way out of a paper bag). Patton is by far my favourite out of these. George C. Scott is fantastic in this movie. On the SD versions most of the long shots just look horrible, not to mention the DVDs themselves are pretty bad to begin with. I have high hopes that these will hopefully look as good as the classic Battle of the Bulge which looks better than is humanly possible for such an old movie. You forget that you're watching a 45 year old movie!

Dirty Harry (Warner)

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

This movie is great but so wrong on so many levels... I grimace at some of the dialog in this day and age like:

Gonzales: There is one question, Inspector Callahan: Why do they call you "Dirty Harry"?
De Georgio: Ah that's one thing about our Harry, doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody: Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, ******, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?
De Georgio: Ask him.
Harry Callahan: Especially Spics.

June 17, 2008

So I Married an Axe Murderer (Sony)

A guilty favourite. Not really sure why I like this one. Maybe because it's one of my wife's favourites too. The Scottish stuff is classic. "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!". One of the first DVDs I ever bought.

June 24, 2008

10,000 B.C. (Warner)

This movie's supposed to suck so I don't know why I'm intrigued by it. Maybe by the scale of what they're trying to show.

Step Into Liquid (Lionsgate)

Very good documentary. Watching it on SD DVD just didn't feel real. Hopefully they'll do this one well.

July 08, 2008

Batman Begins (Warner)

Another one that's been out for a long time on HD DVD. Finally coming to Blu-ray.

July 22, 2008

Earth: The Biography (BBC)
From the makers of the phenominal Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series comes a biography on our planet. Fingers crossed it's also well made and a 5-star video rating like Planet Earth.

July 29, 2008
Dark City (New Line)
The movie that only looks good on CRT comes to Blu-ray!

November 04, 2008
The Shawshank Redemption (Warner)
Don't have to say much about this one...! One of my all time favourites.

So kind of an odd mix, but hopefully enough to keep me somewhat pre-occupied until the tide of HD tiles comes out next year.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list is close to yours (except I already have Batman Begins and V on HD DVD Smile). But, I'd leave off National Treasure 2. Smile

I would upgrade my DTheater Master and Commander if the BD has a TrueHD track.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Treasure/ NT2
The Untouchables
The Bucket List
Chicago,Earth Wind and Fire, Live at the Greek
Mad Men Season 1
How the west was won (i hope they have a better print of this film, the one the dvd was made from is BAD)

View user's photo album (3 photos)
paw

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw 10,000 BC in the theater. Not a bad flic. Should be good movie for CRT. There were some dark scenes.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of Patton, I have the others on regular DVD. I want all of them, and Patton is a favorite. I've been waiting a long time for these on HD format. Earth The Biography seems interesting, and Batman Begins and Dirty Harry are an absolute must-have. Also looking forward to the Golden Compass.

Now, I would add to this The Da Vinci Code; Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le; Saving Private Ryan; Band of Brothers; Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence; Forbidden Planet; Indiana Jones movies and so on and so forth.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
My list is close to yours (except I already have Batman Begins and V on HD DVD Smile).

Yeah, when I had an HD DVD player about a year ago I watched both of these about 2-3 times each. Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the WWII stuff for sure. The cast in "The Longest Day" is incredible.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some screen shots I took from "The Golden Compass"

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: