Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Why does AMAZON.CA even exist? Their prices SUCK!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Why does AMAZON.CA even exist? Their prices SUCK! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Like I say in our newsletters and on the Blu-ray Release List & Must-Have Titles page, I just don't freakin' get it why any Canadians would buy any Blu-ray, HD DVD or DVD discs from Amazon.ca.

Amazon.com is so much cheaper it's not even funny. Some of the titles are 30-40% more expensive at Amazon.ca! This is not a one time thing: I've been comparing both for about 10 years now and always end up ordering from Amazon.com.

Here's a comparison for an order I just placed 10 minutes ago for a bunch of Blu-ray discs (excuse a couple of the titles... they're for the wife Wink ):

Quote:
Amazon.com

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead [Blu-ray]" $24.95
"Dan in Real Life [Blu-ray]" $22.95
"In the Valley of Elah [Blu-ray]" $21.95
"A Passage to India [Blu-ray]" $19.95
"Juno [Blu-ray]" $27.95
"27 Dresses [Blu-ray]" $27.95

Subtotal of Items: $145.70
Shipping & Handling: $22.93
NO GST
NO PST
NO DUTIES
NO BROKERAGE FEES
NO OTHER TAXES OR FEES OF ANY SORT AT THE BORDER WHEN YOU PICK THE CHEAPEST SHIPPING OPTION
-------------
Total: $168.63 USD

Quote:
Amazon.ca:

"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead [Blu-ray]" $26.95 ($2.00 more than Amazon.com)
"Dan in Real Life [Blu-ray]- BACKORDERED" $29.95 ($7.00 more than Amazon.com)
"In the Valley of Elah [Blu-ray]" $30.95 ($9.00 more than Amazon.com)
"A Passage to India [Blu-ray]" $26.95 ($7.00 more than Amazon.com)
"Juno [Blu-ray]" $32.99 ($5.04 more than Amazon.com)
"27 Dresses [Blu-ray]" $32.99 ($5.04 more than Amazon.com)

Total Before Tax: $ 180.78
GST: $ 9.05
PST: $ 14.48
FREE SHIPPING
-------------
Total: $ 204.31 CDN

It costs over 20% more to order from Amazon.ca (it's usually worse) and one of the titles is backordered until who knows when! Hell, at least this time they had all titles I wanted. Usually they're missing some!
The US <-> CDN exchange rate has been on par for a very long time now so $1 USD = $1 CDN (give or take a few cents).
Both places will deliver to my door in about 4-5 days. Ordering from Amazon.com never results in any extra duties or fees as they actually ship from Mississauga Ontario!

Will someone please explain to me why ANYONE would order movies from Amazon.ca? EVER? It just doesn't make any sense! They only sell movies, books, and music at Amazon.ca so it makes it even more confusing. Are the books and music are that much of a better deal at Amazon.ca? If not why does Amazon.ca even exist? Is it simply because some people are afraid to order oustside their own country or figure that they're going to get dinged with huge customs/duty fees at the border? (That's the only reason that would make sense to me).

Hell, I've gotten emails from some Europeans that say that even they order from Amazon.com as once all is said and done, the prices are still cheaper than buying from the Amazon online store in their own country.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun May 04, 2008 7:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about writing a letter to Amazon and your politicians?
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from the DVDO distributor yesterday, saying they have an AWESOME deal on DVDO VP30s. I guess some distributor somewhere went under, and DVDO was getting back a bunch of their VP30s with the extra (deinterlacing?) card on it.

$900 dealer cost. Sounded good, until I was checking online, and people are retailing NIB VP30s for $950.00 USD and getting no bids on eBay. With having to pay 6% federal tax on of the $900, yeah, I'll dive right in and take a hit on their product.

Canadian distributors need to learn that if they can't match US pricing, they are wasting everyone's time.
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all just an evil plot to screw Canadians.
we must be the only real people. did you see the movie "They Live" .....nuff said.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we Americans still that our friends to the north for the oil. Seriously, it is really appreciated.

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email from someone in Canada not understanding why ordering from Amazon.com was costing him so much more than Amazon.ca. Make sure to pick the CHEAPEST shipping option.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
But we Americans still that our friends to the north for the oil. Seriously, it is really appreciated.

I think he missed his med's?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: