Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

MUX-HD: HDMI/DVI Repeater, Sony PS3, and Dell 2405FPW

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundfx4

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: MUX-HD: HDMI/DVI Repeater, Sony PS3, and Dell 2405FPW Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently received my MUX-HD box and the little thing is great and seams to be working as it should. I am, however, having some issues that are most likely due to my lack of knowledge and/or operation of the box.

This is my setup when I first hooked up my PS3:

PC ----------------> Dell Display (via DVI to DVI cable)
Mux-HD box -----> Dell Display (via HDMI to DVI cable) (switched the two as needed)
PS3 ---------------> Mux-HD box (via HDMI to HDMI cable) HDMI3
Mux-HD box -----> Pioneer receiver (SPDI/F via optical)

When I first hooked up my PS3, it worked great, I could see the menu, browse around and start a Blu-Ray movie...however I got no picture with the Blu-Ray movie, only sound, but my display was receiving something because it said on it "Can not display this mode". After this I decided to take a break and unhooked the Mux-HD box and hooked my PC back up.

A little later I decided to try it again, but this time I wanted to try a different, more convenient set up.

This is my current set up:

PC ----------------> Mux-HD box (via DVI to HDMI cable) HDMI2
PS3 --------------> Mux-HD box (via HDMI to HDMI cable) HDMI3
Mux-HD box ----> Dell Display (via DVI to DVI cable)
Mux-HD box ----> Pioneer Receiver (SPDI/F via optical)

When I first set it up this way, my PC was displaying 1920 x 1200 60Hz THROUGH the box perfectly, and I was very happy because I didn't think this box output that resolution. Happy with that, I decided to look through the PS3 menu to see what I could find out. So I switched the box to HDMI3, and after some menu browsing, I found out that the PS3 was outputting 24Hz during Blu-Ray playback and this display only supports 60Hz apparently. So I disabled the option in the PS3 and started up a Blu-Ray movie. The disc loaded as I awaited the results, and in just a few seconds I had picture! I let it play for a little bit watching for jumps (since it's 24FPS, and the display is at 60Hz, I expected some glitches) but I didn't find any problems....until, that is, the screen started glitching and turning crazy colors. The picture went away for a second showing "Can not display this mode" again and then after that was up for about 5 seconds or so, the picture came back, but didn't last long, and returned to no picture at all. Frustrated I ejected the disc to be taken back to the PS3 menu and just shut the console off. But when I returned to the menu, my display was still showing "Can not display this mode". I reset my PS3's output settings and it STILL shows this message. And to top that all off, when I switched back to my PC, there wasn't anything on the display at all. Even more upset now, I just restarted my computer and the display came back fine, except for one thing; the resolution was set at 1920 x 1080 this time, and I could not change it back to 1920 x 1200.

So at the moment I'm sitting at a 1920 x 1080 PC resolution, and my PS3 not displaying anything at all.

I also might add the remote doesn't seam to do anything, I've pressed just about every button on it, and the only thing I've noticed is when I press the "reset" button the HDMI0 light flashes.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, as I'm at a loss here. Thanks Very Happy

(I thought it might be important to add that I did search the forum for anything similar to my issue, but I was not able to find anything, so if something does exist, I apologize.)

Update: I thought I might try again to get it working, and this time I don't even get the "Can not display this mode" message on my screen. This time the power button on my display is orange, indicating it isn't getting a signal at all. And it's doing this with both my PC and PS3. PS3 and the box are both now disconnected as they're worthless in their current state.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone please respond with something. I'm at a complete loss here, and the only place I can get any information on this box is at this forum. I've searched for everything I could think of, and every time I get useless results. As far as I know there is no information already posted other than tech specs so please someone that actually knows something about working with this box post something! Anything, jumper settings, reset to defaults, I don't care, anything will be more useful than nothing. Sad

thanks.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you try contacting moome. I was going to suggest disabling the 24fps output in the ps3 but you already tried that.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read your entire first post (sorry, it's just too long - can you summarize your original post into 1 or 2 lines)?

So that being said are you sure your monitor actually supports 1920x1080 resolution? It's a native 1920x1200 rez monitor, and from what I've read from other Dell owners, many of their monitors DO NOT convert 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 nor do they allow you to display a 1920x1080 image with black bars on the top/bottom. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do. The PS3 will never work on your monitor when it outputs 1920x1080 (aka: 1080p).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Soundfx4

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I haven't read your entire first post (sorry, it's just too long - can you summarize your original post into 1 or 2 lines)?

So that being said are you sure your monitor actually supports 1920x1080 resolution? It's a native 1920x1200 rez monitor, and from what I've read from other Dell owners, many of their monitors DO NOT convert 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 nor do they allow you to display a 1920x1080 image with black bars on the top/bottom. If that's the case, there's nothing you can do. The PS3 will never work on your monitor when it outputs 1920x1080 (aka: 1080p).

Kal

I have heard about that issue from others, but I honestly dont' know what they're talking about as that's an issue I've never had. My 360 outputs 1080p to it via VGA, and I can also set my PC to output 1080p to it as well and it will cut off the unused pixels with black bars to keep the correct aspect ratio. On top of that, my PS3 actually was working when I first hooked it up and I was getting a picture with the top and bottoms cut off to display 1920 x 1080 as it was supposed to.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. I'll just tell you my current issue to keep it short.

As it stands, my box will not output a signal at all to my display with my PS3 or PC hooked up to it. As far as my display is concerned, it's got a cable hooked up to it, but it doesn't see a signal and is in a "sleep" mode (orange lights on the front)

the boxes front LED lights do display however, and I can select inputs 0-3.

Thanks.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino wrote:
I recommend you try contacting moome. I was going to suggest disabling the 24fps output in the ps3 but you already tried that.

I didn't want to bother moome, as I know he's really busy, but I may end up having to do that.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. If none of the resolutions that worked before work now, I'd contact him.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Soundfx4

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Yup. If none of the resolutions that worked before work now, I'd contact him.

Kal

Thanks, I'll send an e-mail to moome, and hopefully he'll know right off what's wrong.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to my situation. After having everything disconnected for a while, I tried again to get it to work with only my PS3 hooked up to the box, and using the boxes HDMI out port to go to my display. It worked, and I played a good 15 mins of the blu-ray movie I am Legend with no problems. I decided to try and hook up my PC to this set up. So I re-arranged the cables. DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to the box. HDMI to HDMI cable from my PS3 to my box. DVI to DVI cable from the box to my display, and Optical cable from the box to my receiver. I selected HDMI0 and turned on my ps3; picture came up and I started playing the movie. Everything seamed to work okay, so I selected HDIM1 and turned on my PC; the annoying 1080p picture was there, but it was working. I switched back to my PS3 and got picture, but then when I switched back to my PC I got nothing. The monitor was in "sleep" mode again. I switched back to my PS3 and it was working fine for a few mins, then the picture started going in and out. I would get "can not display this mode" for a short period of time, and then I'd get a picture. This went back and forth, and I even got a few screens full of pink, and what looked like static (very clean static, I don't know how to describe it). It didn't do this when I only had my PS3 hooked up to it, I'm starting to wonder if my PC is just screwing things up, although I don't know how. Any ideas given this new information?

a side note; I've decided to not yet contact moome as the box is now acting different. When and If I do contact moome, I want to make sure what ever the problem is, that it's consistent to keep things as simple as possible.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the ultimate solution to the problem?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundfx4 wrote:
An update to my situation. After having everything disconnected for a while, I tried again to get it to work with only my PS3 hooked up to the box, and using the boxes HDMI out port to go to my display. It worked, and I played a good 15 mins of the blu-ray movie I am Legend with no problems. I decided to try and hook up my PC to this set up. So I re-arranged the cables. DVI to HDMI cable from my PC to the box. HDMI to HDMI cable from my PS3 to my box. DVI to DVI cable from the box to my display, and Optical cable from the box to my receiver. I selected HDMI0 and turned on my ps3; picture came up and I started playing the movie. Everything seamed to work okay, so I selected HDIM1 and turned on my PC; the annoying 1080p picture was there, but it was working. I switched back to my PS3 and got picture, but then when I switched back to my PC I got nothing. The monitor was in "sleep" mode again. I switched back to my PS3 and it was working fine for a few mins, then the picture started going in and out. I would get "can not display this mode" for a short period of time, and then I'd get a picture. This went back and forth, and I even got a few screens full of pink, and what looked like static (very clean static, I don't know how to describe it). It didn't do this when I only had my PS3 hooked up to it, I'm starting to wonder if my PC is just screwing things up, although I don't know how. Any ideas given this new information?

a side note; I've decided to not yet contact moome as the box is now acting different. When and If I do contact moome, I want to make sure what ever the problem is, that it's consistent to keep things as simple as possible.

Sounds like a hotplug issue with your PC, some equipment look fior the EDID of the display so it knows what resolution to send it. Some VP's like my Lumagen has a spot where you can have the EDID always being sent out continualy so it doesnt looes the sync even when switching inputs on it, your PC may have somewhere in the monitor area where you can have it set to hotplug. Not sure but its a theory, my neice had a display that needed it for it to sync with here mac mini or else it be a blank screen, could be the same issue.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: