Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Star Wars nerd talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Figure's a Star Wars hatter too....

How many time's has everyone in this thread seen Star Wars? Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped counting 12 years ago ! Very Happy Very Happy : D

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stoped at 600 something.... Mr. Green
I was actually trying to watch the unmolested version when the Ampro blew up again.

CRT.

HD done right!
Leo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
George Lucas' ""improved"" version (with all the new CGI &etc) put Hayden Christiansen in there. Personally I thought it was an incredibly cheesy and tacky move that was apparently pandering for maximized sales of the newer SW movies. WTF was wrong with Sebastian Shaw? He was "Anakin" at the time of his death, he was "Anakin" as Luke knew him, and he should have continued to be the ghost of Anakin.

Totally agree. And the way Hayden is standing there looking creepily in a different direction than Obi and Yoda, and never really looking at Luke and the others with any real warmth or compassion...really bad blue/green screen work there.

It doesn't really make sense where the characters are psychologically either for Hayden to take the place of Sebastian Shaw in that scene. The younger Anakin was power hungry and gave into his anger and hatred long before he fully gave in to the dark side. In fact, it is very likely he would have gone to the dark side anyway had he never met the Emperor. It was not until the end of ROTJ that Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) was at peace with himself, and was able to unite with the force.
lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
George Lucas' ""improved"" version (with all the new CGI &etc) put Hayden Christiansen in there. Personally I thought it was an incredibly cheesy and tacky move that was apparently pandering for maximized sales of the newer SW movies. WTF was wrong with Sebastian Shaw? He was "Anakin" at the time of his death, he was "Anakin" as Luke knew him, and he should have continued to be the ghost of Anakin.

Totally agree. And the way Hayden is standing there looking creepily in a different direction than Obi and Yoda, and never really looking at Luke and the others with any real warmth or compassion...really bad blue/green screen work there.

It doesn't really make sense where the characters are psychologically either for Hayden to take the place of Sebastian Shaw in that scene. The younger Anakin was power hungry and gave into his anger and hatred long before he fully gave in to the dark side. In fact, it is very likely he would have gone to the dark side anyway had he never met the Emperor. It was not until the end of ROTJ that Anakin (Sebastian Shaw) was at peace with himself, and was able to unite with the force.

Exactly, I have come to feel that George Lucas is good at some things, but for the most part, he's a complete idiot. Going back and watching the original trilogy, you often ask yourself why he didn't just watch the first trilogy one last time before making the new movies. Some things just make no sense, like Obi Wan saying he took it upon himself to train Anakin, Obi Wan not remembering the dropids and other random stuff that just makes you want to slap GL. He really needs to just give the outline of an idea to someone and let them flesh it out and bring it to the screen.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a lot of the post star wars books and those have way better story line and less historical inacuracies than the new movies, They should make those into movies with different directors, as in my previous post, the original actors really didnt listen to what GL was telling them regarding their acting, they just goofed around and did what they wanted and that was the best thing that could have happened for the movie.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL once told Ron Howard, "I love doing animated movies, there's no actor's to deal with. No problems on the set" This was when Ron was auditioning for American Graffiti.

GL had a habit of choosing unknown/little known actor's. WHich is fine, but, at least the first batch could act ( mostly, Luke..well he was better in his quiet scenes )

The inaccuracies and in consistencies drove me nuts. ESPECIALLY when R2-D2 play's such a huge roll with OB1 in the prequels, then in the first movie OB1 says " I don't recall ever owning any droid's" WTF?

CRT.

HD done right!
lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any of the books, but I played a game on the XBox called Knight Of the Old Republic, and I have to say, the story and everything was leagues beyond any star wars movie I've ever seen. From what I've heard, George Lucas really has some gems with the books and various other media, that he chooses not to exploit for what I can only see as vanity and ego. He feels like it's his baby (which it is) and that he's the only one capable of bringing it to life (which he most definitely is not), and us Star Wars fans are the worse off for it.
lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
GL once told Ron Howard, "I love doing animated movies, there's no actor's to deal with. No problems on the set" This was when Ron was auditioning for American Graffiti.

GL had a habit of choosing unknown/little known actor's. WHich is fine, but, at least the first batch could act ( mostly, Luke..well he was better in his quiet scenes )

The inaccuracies and in consistencies drove me nuts. ESPECIALLY when R2-D2 play's such a huge roll with OB1 in the prequels, then in the first movie OB1 says " I don't recall ever owning any droid's" WTF?

GL really has little talent as a director in my opinion. He is good at bringing imaginary creatures to screen, even though they add nothing to the movie. He is horrible at getting performances out of actors, horrible at script writing, setting a mood, pacing, and no matter what anyone says; story telling. yes the stories themselves are good, but telling that story is not his strong suit. Episode 4 was the weakest of the original trilogy(IMHO) because he directed it.

If you ever watch any of the movies with commentary on, he talks on and on and on about the technical aspects of bringing the film to life like it's still 1993 or something. GEORGE! WE KNOW HOW YOU DID IT! WITH A COMPUTER! He mentions nothing about what he was thinking when creating a scene, or what a scene means, and he just plain out ignores the things you want him to elaborate on. Like in Episode 3; the Yoda Sidious fight. I want to know his take on who won, why Yoda went into hiding, and tons of other stuff......nothing. He's an ass.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcloud wrote:
I haven't read any of the books, but I played a game on the XBox called Knight Of the Old Republic, and I have to say, the story and everything was leagues beyond any star wars movie I've ever seen. From what I've heard, George Lucas really has some gems with the books and various other media, that he chooses not to exploit for what I can only see as vanity and ego. He feels like it's his baby (which it is) and that he's the only one capable of bringing it to life (which he most definitely is not), and us Star Wars fans are the worse off for it.

You know to draw a parallel to what you just said. Think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was the best written sci-fi fantasy show in the '90's. That was Josh Whedon's baby but he had a whole team of writer's on the show. He was famous for putting the final polish on the story's. Most of the memorable one liner's came from him, where the rest of the episode may have been written by someone else.

GL should have had a team of like minded writers with him, and he should have been putting the final polish on the work.

I can come up with MANY memorable one line's from the first 3 Star Wars movies but the only thing that come's to mind from the last three is " Who sa? Me sa? " and that one I would DEFINITELY rather forget.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lordcloud

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

You know to draw a parallel to what you just said. Think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was the best written sci-fi fantasy show in the '90's. That was Josh Whedon's baby but he had a whole team of writer's on the show. He was famous for putting the final polish on the story's. Most of the memorable one liner's came from him, where the rest of the episode may have been written by someone else.

GL should have had a team of like minded writers with him, and he should have been putting the final polish on the work.

I can come up with MANY memorable one line's from the first 3 Star Wars movies but the only thing that come's to mind from the last three is " Who sa? Me sa? " and that one I would DEFINITELY rather forget.

Exactly, he needs to realize, his skills as a writer are not up to par. His ideas are good and he would definitely benefit froma team of good writers. He also need to not surround himself with sycophantic yes men as well. Who in their right mind watched Episode 1 and said to themselves "hmmmm, an annoying character that talks like a runaway slave is great!". He apparently screened the movie with several of his friends and they all thought it was great. WTF!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcloud wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Exactly, he needs to realize, his skills as a writer are not up to par. His ideas are good and he would definitely benefit froma team of good writers. He also need to not surround himself with sycophantic yes men as well. Who in their right mind watched Episode 1 and said to themselves "hmmmm, an annoying character that talks like a runaway slave is great!". He apparently screened the movie with several of his friends and they all thought it was great. WTF!

Must be a "YES" men thing. YES sir! we loved it!

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: