Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How do you do greyscale?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal,

I was wondering this because the HCFR probe doesn't have a IR block filter on it which allows the probe to read up into the IR range. So I thought maybe the HCFR SW (considering the HCFR SW was originally developed for the HCFR probe) might want to read the primaries at 100% to get readings as to where the primaries register on the probe and then apply that to the greyscale readings.

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt it Walter, especially as when you start from scratch with HCFR and tell it to do greyscale, primary, and secondary readings, it does them in that order (greyscale first).

You can also just do greyscale, and it'll give you numbers back. And then do primaries and/or secondaries later. You greyscale readings won't change after you've done the primary/secondary readings. Try it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bothered to do primaries, I didn't see any reason to, not much you can do to change them so I figured why bother.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right Walter. It's more of a curiosity thing: I want to know how close I am. It only takes about 20 seconds to do too.

Kal

dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I will be needing to do a full setup on my XG after a system board swap. Bummer. I just followed the Amazon links from the "guide for dummies" thread and ordered the Spyder and DVE disc. I can't wait to play around with that now that my projector is working again!
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:
Well, it looks like I will be needing to do a full setup on my XG after a system board swap. Bummer. I just followed the Amazon links from the "guide for dummies" thread and ordered the Spyder and DVE disc. I can't wait to play around with that now that my projector is working again!

Guess I gotta get busy and finish that last section! Smile Thanks for ordering through our links in the GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES thread Dropzone! (And thanks to the dozen or so other people who did the same yesterday too!).

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, not sure if you wanted me to do this but i have put a couple plugs in for your guide over on the A site and got a few bites, one just purchased the spyder from it and I got PM there from another person who did the same. they didn't know about this site either so maybe we'll get more members !! I have the Eye one display2 but thinking for 70 bucks i might get the spyder as well and do a comparison, its only 70 bucks Wink

EDIT: JUST ORDERED THE SPYDER TOO !

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means Athanasios, promote it as much as you want at AVS. Thanks! They typically don't like links to other forums so try and always post it as a clickable link so the mods don't catch on as easily, like this:

Code:

[url=http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457][b]GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES[/b][/url]

You can cut and past that right into a post on just about any forum (the bold tags just make it stand out a little better). It'll show up as: GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

The more members we get here the better!

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepp thats how i did it ! see here:"
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13755077#post13755077

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

With HFCR and a HTPC I've found it useful and very quick to run all the measures closed loop using the HFCR internal patterns. A test disk is not required in this case.

You push the button once and sit back and watch. No need to wait for a prompt to change to a different IRE or primary.

It's really slick Smile

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Kal,

With HFCR and a HTPC I've found it useful and very quick to run all the measures closed loop using the HFCR internal patterns. A test disk is not required in this case.

You push the button once and sit back and watch. No need to wait for a prompt to change to a different IRE or primary.

It's really slick Smile

Yup! I'm sure it is. Problem is that these days likely less than 10% of the people reading the guide will be using an HTPC (probably closer to 5% or less actually) so I didn't want to get into it at all. Not to mention that I haven't even tried it myself. I also didn't want to mention it as an option as it just makes things confusing. That's the problem with a lot of the guides - they don't explain the steps and what to do EXACTLY, they just tell you what to do in general.

You also can't just use a PC temporarily to do it as the PC has to be your source device that you play back movies on otherwise there's no point as it won't match. Since over 90-95% of people use DVD players or Blu-ray/HD DVD players I elected to use that method in the guide.

Those that use HTPCs will likely be able to figure out the guided stuff themselves anyway as HTPCs aren't exactly plug & play. Smile

Kal

Gino

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You also can't just use a PC temporarily to do it as the PC has to be your source device that you play back movies on otherwise there's no point as it won't match. Since over 90-95% of people use DVD players or Blu-ray/HD DVD players I elected to use that method in the guide.

Exactly!

Kal - Will this be made available as a downloadable/printable pdf?

Will make for some good reading to brush up again, haven't had to do grey scale for over 6 months, and now they have HCFR v2

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a downloadable/printable PDF will not be made available for the following reasons:

(a) I'm still tweaking it every day. This'll likely go on for months. I don't want to have to update two places every time I make a change.
(b) We pay for our site hardware partially through ads and people clicking and ordering through the Amazon links in the guide (Blu-ray discs, Spyder2 sensor, etc). A PDF version would reduce those clicks.
(c) I don't want this guide to be hosted elsewhere which would likely happen if a PDF version is created and released. Feel free to link to the guide however as many time as anyone wants. If fact, linking is a good thing. Do it often! Smile
(d) a printable version is already available through the "Printer Friendly" icon at the top of the thread. Yes, I'm aware that this feature is only available to [pay] forum members. If someone's too cheap to sign up (not Gino of course Smile), take 10 seconds to cut and paste the thread into Word or something and print it. Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how that "cal file" can be create, I build that Hcfr diy probe. But as far i understand that probe works different that those other probes.
Here is something, but French...is something that i cant read. Or read ,yes:But understand ,no Crying or Very sad
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29808049
Or can i use that one with my marquee (with hd-145 lenses)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29879209

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Rtpr1njs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZP9FEFXV5c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j065vei6j6s
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JTS-Racing-team/204443719572685
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1031 wrote:
Does anyone know how that "cal file" can be create, I build that Hcfr diy probe. But as far i understand that probe works different that those other probes.
Here is something, but French...is something that i cant read. Or read ,yes:But understand ,no Crying or Very sad
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29808049
Or can i use that one with my marquee (with hd-145 lenses)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29879209

Here is a translation of the first post in the first link you posetd:

To start if you did not read it yet:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/Colorimetre/WebHelp/hcfr_po..

Why is it necessary to calibrate colorimeter HCFR for each model of projector?

All the colors of the projected image are reconstituted starting from the red, of the green and blue.
(Except for certain recent DMD using BrilliantColor technology).

One can analyze the spectrum of the light emitted by each projector.
For example that of Epson TW600:

In X-coordinate wavelengths on a scale going of 380 nanometers with 730 nanometers.
In ordinates energy levels on a scale going from 0 to 1 (the maximum level).

In red, green, and blue spectra of the corresponding colors emitted by the projector.
In black the sum of the three, therefore the spectrum of the white.

Each projector has a different spectral signature and yet our eye will perceive the same colors… if the white of the projector is gauged in D65.

The colorimeter measures levels of green of blue and red which do not correspond to those perceived by our eye.
It is necessary to carry out a correction which varies according to the spectral characteristics of the projector.

How is colorimeter HCFR calibrated?

One starts by measuring simultalnément with a spectrophotometer and the colorimétre HCFR, the red, the green, blue and the white.

Then one calculates conversion to be applied to represent the measurements made by the colorimeter colors defined in standard Co 1931.

One controls that measurements are coherent, i.e. that in both cases (spectrophotometer and colorimeter HCFR) one has " well; rouge+vert+bleu = blanc" (control of additivity).

Then one gauges the projector with Colorimeter HCFR and the standard lately produced.

Finally one validates with the spectrophotometer measurements of the gauged projector.

What can one make if one does not have a standard for his projector?

It is necessary to start by regulating the white of the projector to the eye.
Or any other means (one can for example have made gauge its projector by a third).

Then the option " is used; to launch a new calibration of the capteur" (finely " File > New > Suivant").

By defect the program supposes that the colors (chromacities) of the white and the primary educations (red, green, blue) correspond to the standard.
The measurement of the corresponding test cards by the colorimeter will give a standard.

If the white were well regulated, the temperature curve of colors, histogram RVB, and the curve of brightness will be exact.
Diagram Co is, by construction, in conformity with the standard (except if you seized the values of chromacity of the primary educations of the projector provided by a review or a Web site).

If the white is not well preset you will be able nevertheless to use histogram RVB to have made one constant of the colorimetry from one end to another of the grey scale (it is essence).
And, of course, the histogram of brightness giving gamma is valid.

Does the positioning of the probe have an influence on the calibration?

The probe is sufficiently sensitive to be positioned vis-a-vis the screen (without inclining it).
Thus the standards are manufactured.
Thus measurements of color will be most reliable, at least with the tops of 20 ANGER.

Measurements can also be made, with the same standard, vis-a-vis the projector.
That perhaps preferable to analyze the behavior of the projector in low lights.
Measurements are also faster.

Differences can apparaîtres with measurements vis-a-vis the screen, due:
- with the colorimetric lack of uniformity of the projector
- with the color of the screen
- with the structure of the matrix of the projector (to avoid them it is necessary that the probe is located more close to the projector than of the screen)
- with the least sensitivity of the sensors in low light
-…

Which is the precision of the calibration?

The measurements made with colorimeter HCFR and a standard have a precision limited by:
- the spectrophotometer having been used for the calibration
- various surfaces of the screen taken into account by the two colorimeters during the calibration
- variations of the image projected during the calibration (even if measurements are made simultaneously the sampling can be longer with a colorimeter than with the other)
- differences between specimens of the same projector
- differences between specimens of circuits TAOS used in the probe
-…

I use a filter, is the standard planned for my projector always valid?

The tests carried out showed that depended on the filter and the projector.

A filter has a complex action on the spectrum of the projector.

Ci below curves of transmission of filters KR largely used:

In X-coordinate wavelengths, ordinates from 0 to 100% quantity of transmitted energy.
Thus with 680nm the KR12 lets pass 60% of luminous energy and 40% absorb some.

The filter is not satisfied to modify the relative levels of the primary educations (red, green and blue), It modifies also their spectrum, therefore the colorimetry of the projector.

Of the same filters denomination can have different curves of transmission.

Will one be able one day to do without standards?

The HcFr colorimeter is provided with two sensors in order to allow an operation without standard in complement or substitution of current operation.
For that one will lay out two filters in front of the sensors (or a filter in front of one of both).

The information collected during the manufacture of the standards makes it possible to prepare this second phase.

But it is too early to know if we will be able or not to aboûtir with convincing results.

Michel

Barco Data 701s
iScan HD scaler with sdi mod
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Denon AVR 1507 7.1 AV receiver
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 floorstanders (front)
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (rear)
Wharfedale SW150 active subwoofer

Photos on the way!
tommo2

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a handy tanslator:

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/

Barco Data 701s
iScan HD scaler with sdi mod
Oppo 981HD with sdi mod
Xbox 360
Playstation 2
Denon AVR 1507 7.1 AV receiver
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 floorstanders (front)
Wharfedale EVO2 (center)
Pioneer 100W (sides)
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 (rear)
Wharfedale SW150 active subwoofer

Photos on the way!
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
No, a downloadable/printable PDF will not be made available for the following reasons...

makes perfect sense Kal. Was not aware that my club membership meant I had access to a print friendly feature Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

I'm a first to this form.

I've read through the 'Greyscale dummies guide' and must say it is excellent!!

Some people on this forum, I've noticed, have asked for more details or explanations, within the document. But as this is written as a dummies guide it is great for the initial set-up. Most of the details can then be gotten from experiment and experience of use.

I did use the full screen for the 'ire' readings (Only because I didn't have 10% window 'ire') and was shocked by the results! but I have since managed to get the 10% windows and the results are much nearer the mark! . I am taking readings for a Plasma display.

The only thing I can think of, which needs some clarification, is the sensor types used.

I use the 'Eye One' sensor. The set-up sensor configuration is very much different from the 'Spyder'. I assume that when I set-up the 'Eye-One' that I do select 'Plasma' rather than the 'LCD' that the 'Spyder' prompts for? Also, there is no real settings, as far as I can see, to increase the length of time the probe takes to read at lower 'ire'. Although, the default seems to increase the reading times at lower 'ire' levels.

Basically, just really need to know that the sensor is set up for the maximum reading accuracy.

Just one other question, the CIE chart, the primary and secondary colours, are they actually plotted on the chart, when the greyscale measurements are taken? As apart from the 'Red' my co-ordinates are looking too accurate to believe!

The rest of the document is faultless.

You should get together with the HCFR team.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use the 'Eye One' sensor. The set-up sensor configuration is very much different from the 'Spyder'. I assume that when I set-up the 'Eye-One' that I do select 'Plasma' rather than the 'LCD' that the 'Spyder' prompts for? Also, there is no real settings, as far as I can see, to increase the length of time the probe takes to read at lower 'ire'. Although, the default seems to increase the reading times at lower 'ire' levels.

Basically, just really need to know that the sensor is set up for the maximum reading accuracy.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

The Eye one from my research likes to be Warmed up when used on a plasma as they run hot after being on ofr a half hour or so. Also it seams most people leave it on LCD , I dont know why, maybe the settings in HCFR are not 100% correct for it. You could always just play with it and try both settings and compare results. But I wouls put the Eye One on the plasma for at least a half Hour before doing and readings. With regard to read time for lower IRE's there is a setting that says use multiple reads that averages multiple reads but it takes a long long time. I tried it and my results were not that different useing the normal method.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphiplasma wrote:
Hi Karl,

I'm a first to this form.

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Some people on this forum, I've noticed, have asked for more details or explanations, within the document. But as this is written as a dummies guide it is great for the initial set-up. Most of the details can then be gotten from experiment and experience of use.

Thanks! I try and stay high level for 2 reasons: (1) To not bog down the beginners and (2) because I really don't know much more than what I've written here. Seriously! I wouldn't consider myself a calibration expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just a technically oriented guy who seems to be able to put procedures together with so-so results.

Quote:
I did use the full screen for the 'ire' readings (Only because I didn't have 10% window 'ire') and was shocked by the results! but I have since managed to get the 10% windows and the results are much nearer the mark! . I am taking readings for a Plasma display.

Yes, Plasma and CRT really need window patterns and not full screen because of the way the technology works. I've updated the guide to mention plasma as well.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of, which needs some clarification, is the sensor types used.

I use the 'Eye One' sensor. The set-up sensor configuration is very much different from the 'Spyder'. I assume that when I set-up the 'Eye-One' that I do select 'Plasma' rather than the 'LCD' that the 'Spyder' prompts for?

Good catch. Plasma and Eye-One is different it seems. I updated the guide. LCD probably isn't that much different however.

Quote:
Also, there is no real settings, as far as I can see, to increase the length of time the probe takes to read at lower 'ire'. Although, the default seems to increase the reading times at lower 'ire' levels.

Correct. That's one of the nice things about the Eye-One. It just 'works'. You don't have to mess around with read times.

Quote:
Just one other question, the CIE chart, the primary and secondary colours, are they actually plotted on the chart, when the greyscale measurements are taken? As apart from the 'Red' my co-ordinates are looking too accurate to believe!

Nope - they're done separately. I'm in the process of writing up the instructions for that. If you want to jump ahead a bit and just do it, you actually need a different disc for this it seems as Digital Video Essentials for some silly reason doesn't have red/green/blue/cyan/magenta/yellow window patterns on it! I use this one: http://avshd709.com/ (HD DVD and Blu-ray format that you burn to a regular DVD). You then simply click on the primaries/secondaries button and cue up the window patterns as asked. It'll then plot your primaries/secondaries on the CIE chart and you'll be able to see where you are in relation to the Rec601/Rec709 standard gamuts.

Quote:
The rest of the document is faultless. You should get together with the HCFR team.

Thanks! No time to do more and be a part of more teams unfortunately... Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: