Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How do you do greyscale?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: How do you do greyscale? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Simple question, what do you do and what do you use.

I would like to get some sort of a color calibrator to use with my G70 but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Right now everything is done by eye but I'm sure it could be much better.

My only source right now is my HTPC with Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I have the AVIA disc on SD-DVD but will pick it up on HD as well.

I'm looking for something cheap (less than $100) that will do a decent job, I know many people use the spyder sensor and I have heard that it works ok and can be modified to work better in lower IRE.

I am really clueless when it comes to all of this but I have been reading and trying to make sense of it all and hope to have something by the middle of summer at the latest.

Any Advice, Smile

Erik
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal is working on a gray scale for dummies that I am eagerly waiting for using the Spyder 2 sensor and HCFR (about $70). IMO it’s very easy to set a grayscale and have it push red. An overly red image tends to make people look healthy and we like that, but it is not correct.

The best thing you can do by eye is put up a gray scale ramp with Avia and try to just make it gray with no tint in the colors. I don’t know the G70 jargon but I’m sure someone will as I am only familiar with XG’s.

Mike

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cut and paste a section of my "GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES" article that I'm working on at the moment. It's about 75% done. There's enough here now for people to get started.

Warning: The work below is still a work in progress... so typo's and and such have not been corrected!

Quote:

Procedure removed. See the new GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES guide in the new 'Audio & Video Calibration' forum

Again, this is very much a work in progress. It's going to have tons of pictures and screenshots of the steps along the way showing exactly what the look for and what to do. The goal is to ensure that you will not need any prior knowledge on how to do any of this to set proper greyscale on your projector or TV.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm; edited 13 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal I'll be looking forward to reading this about 100 times to commit it to memory Very Happy

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks!

I'll be posting the whole thing for review and comments from everyone before I send a newsletter out about it. I want it to be completely polished and painless for everyone.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal for Marquee owners ad the term G2 to cutoff and bias.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Gino

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, just an FYI: The name D65 suggests that the correlated color temperature should be 6500K, while in truth it is closer to 6504K.

The CIE 1931 color space chromaticity coordinates of D65 are x=0.31271, y=0.32902

Rec. 709, used in HDTV systems, truncates the CIE 1931 coordinates to x=0.3127, y=0.3290

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it a printable version please
v_erich

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!
I spent also a few hours on learning the color calibration on my BG808s LC modded and learned, that the original Barco 6500k setting is faaaaar away from grey...

Waiting for the complete article and then start a second round in calibrating.

Regards,
Erich
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, do you think that the SpyderTV sensor will work for Grayscale Calibration for Dummies or will this dummy need to buy Spyder2 Express?

...and thanks for all of this!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

Thanks guys (Kal), I'm hoping to see this in the next newsletter to read through a couple hundred times and try to understand Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kal for Marquee owners ad the term G2 to cutoff and bias.

I thought with Marquee's it was "G2" and "Drive"? How can it be G2 for both? See : http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10209

Gino wrote:
Kal, just an FYI: The name D65 suggests that the correlated color temperature should be 6500K, while in truth it is closer to 6504K.

The CIE 1931 color space chromaticity coordinates of D65 are x=0.31271, y=0.32902

Rec. 709, used in HDTV systems, truncates the CIE 1931 coordinates to x=0.3127, y=0.3290

Correct. See my opening paragraph. Smile I'm trying not to get bogged down with the details as I'll lose too many people. 6504 is so close to 6500 when doing this it's not even funny. Tube output can easily vary a hundred degrees or more from day to day.

mike calcott wrote:
Make it a printable version please

That's what the Printer Friendly icon at the top of the forum is for. Smile
It looks like this:

You have to be a forum member to use it.

timbo wrote:
Kal, do you think that the SpyderTV sensor will work for Grayscale Calibration for Dummies or will this dummy need to buy Spyder2 Express?

...and thanks for all of this!

It's the same sensor as far as I know. They *may* start using the newer Spyder2 in the SpyderTV kit in the future probably but the two sensors look very different. I'll add more pictures to the guide so that people see exactly what it looks like. The Spyder3 would work as well, only problem is that HCFR doesn't support it yet.

Kal

Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gino wrote:

Not to mention that D65 is really only ONE point of 6500

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=78452&d=1174958700

Having a true linear gray scale is important, more so than Having an exact d65 coordinate . A good balance of 6500 between lower and higher ire is harder to get an accurate balance . It is a very back and forth procedure in CRT's .
Subdle differences in room lighting/ conditions combined with less accurate sensors will really make the accuracy down in low ire ranges hard to truly dial in.

Bruce
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many CIE coordinates that "map" to 6500 (as in that CIE chart you posted), but only .3127/.3290 or thereabouts is a "true" 6500. Only coordinates that fall on that curved line accurately represent true color temperatures. Other coordinates in the vicinity can be "mapped" onto a color temperature for convenience, but they do not match up with the colors an idealized black-body will glow at that temperature.

Even if those colors "map" to 6500, it's clear they aren't white. The line on the chart you posted goes from a very distinct green down into pink and even magenta.
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D65 is only one coordinate in the 6500 temperature curvature was what I was trying to clarify .

That Cie chart was only to show that D65 is only one point in the 6500 temperature curve . I never made that chart only linked it .

From Here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=825351&highlight=6500+point

Quote:
Even if those colors "map" to 6500, it's clear they aren't white. The line on the chart you posted goes from a very distinct green down into pink and even magenta.

White is only ONE point in 6500k right ?

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce 09 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought with Marquee's it was "G2" and "Drive"? How can it be G2 for both? See : http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10209

I should have left out Cut off. On the marquee we have a control for G2 and for Drive. we use the G2 to set the low end and Drive to get the whites correct according to the grey scale procedure on Tim's Site.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce 09 wrote:
D65 is only one coordinate in the 6500 temperature curvature was what I was trying to clarify .

The "6500 temperature CURVATURE" !?

The curve on that chart is not 6500. That curve is the full range of color temperatures, which is why it has a series of numbers (temperatures) from 1500 (dull red) through D65 and D75 and up to 18000K (very blue-white). Any coordinate that is NOT on that curved line is NOT an actual color temperature. For example, there is NO temperature at which a black-body will glow "green hot."

For convenience you can "map" points that aren't on the temperature line into a corresponding color temperature. This is generally done with the McCamy equation: CCT(x,y) = − 449n3 + 3525n2 − 6823.3n + 5520.33. The value of "n" is chosen based on criteria I don't understand.

The vertical straight line is the 6500K "isotherm" -- the set of coordinates that "map" to 6500. They are NOT all white, and they are NOT all actual color temperatures. As I said, they go from green to magenta. The "mapping" is only for convenience so you can refer to a particular color by its corresponding color temp, to give some idea where it lies in the CIE color space. (Color scientists probably use it for something else, but that's the only use we amateurs have for it.) You would NOT use any arbitrary point on that 6500K isotherm to set up your projector, or you'd have some seriously screwed-up colors. Only D65, where the 6500K isotherm intersects the color-temp curve, is truly white (according to the standards). That point is at the coordinates .313/.329. Other points very close to .313/.329 are very nearly white, the way "pinkish" and "blue-ish" fluourescent bulbs are nearly white. But D65 is the SMPTE standard. If you set your grayscale to any point other than .313/.329, you will not have accurate colors. Period.

Quote:
White is only ONE point in 6500k right .

No. That white is the color of a black-body glowing at 6500 degrees Kelvin. That's the ONLY color that is a true 6500K color temperature. The other coordinates on that vertical 6500K isotherm "map" to a color temp of 6500K, but they are NOT actual color temperatures.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important part is that the newbies will not have to understand any of this when they go to set their greyscale with my procedure. Smile

It certainly helps to understand what's going on of course, but will not be critical.

I will also explain the CIE chart for those that want to understand more, but I won't go into gory details. Consider it optional reading.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent another 4-5 hours on this in the last day so I thought I'd post what I have so far. See post #3 in this thread http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113347#113347

There's enough info in there now for the adventerous people to get started, or to at least read and post comments on what I've written.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good, Kal! Some comments:

Part 2, ftL target: specify whether the desired ftL level is measured with the sensor pointing at the pj or the screen. Makes a huge difference. (No, a 1.0 gain screen does NOT return 1.0 times as much light as what falls on it!) You tell them to point it at the screen later on, but it's worth mentioning here too.

Step 2.4: Remove the diffuser/filter on the SpyderII. (At least that's my understanding of how it's supposed to be used.)

2.5: Emphasize to use WINDOW, not a full-screen white. CRTs can't display full brightness on the full screen.

2.7: You're not using the black "toilet-paper roll" baffle? Aren't you concerned about the Spyder seeing its multi-colored shadow? Also, I'm surprised that adjusting the angle makes any significant difference in ftL level when pointing at the screen. It should all be pretty uniform.

3.1: That's a very interesting trick to set the 10% ftL level at 0.65% of the 100% level. Never thought of that. By my calculations it should be 0.63%, but that's a quibble. Measuring 0.65 * 100IRE is going to be a bigger problem, though. If you have 12ftL at 100%, then 0.63% is only 0.076 ftL. Will the SpyderII measure accurately that low? Maybe with a long-enough exposure, but even then I doubt it's very accurate at that level. Maybe it would be better to measure at 20% stim and shoot for 2.9% of 100IRE -- 0.35 ftL if 100% is 12 ftL.

Suggestions for part 4:

* Draw a diagram that shows the grayscale response as a straight line, and show that the drive and cutoff basically let you control the upper and lower part of that line. You use that as a 2-point "curve fitting" to get the CRT's response to match the target response as closely as possible. I think a visual analogy like this will help people understand what they're doing a lot better.

* Explain blue hump, blue defocus, etc. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12844360#post12844360

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: