Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

So I looked at digitals yesterday...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: So I looked at digitals yesterday... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This could almost be thrown into the M8000/RS2 thread, but I figured I'd start a new one.

I was in Seattle yesterday, and saw three digitals.

One was a Panasonic AE900U, bought last year for $2000. WHile it was bright, the panel alignment was HORRIBLE, massive misalignment from 12' away. Yech!

Then I went to two stores in the Bellevue area, both catering to higher end clientele than the big box stores. I had to marvel at both stores. Much larger than the higher end stores here, very nicely laid out, and very nice no BS staff at both stores. I did some business at one, so they knew who I was, but not at the other, I was a complete stranger. I fired a couple of questions to see what answer I'd get, and as I said, no BS and very straightforward answers from the sales people.

At the one store I saw the home equivelent of the JVC RS2. It was the first RS2 I'd seen, and while I didn't view it critically, I did notice that the panel alignment was a lot better than the RS1 I saw last year at Cliff's place. AS I said, I spent less than 5 minutes with it, but it looked pretty decent even though it was projecting on a gray screen. (soon to be changed apparently).

THen I went to the really high end store, and saw some massive Runco 108p 3 chip DLP beast. As big as a typical CRt, with the motorized lens assembly on it.

Now, to be fair, they were running a 480p component DVD player into the Runco scaler, then out to the projector, but the mosquito noise was HORRIBLE. Good from far, far from good. Also, the posterization, that oily color that I see in many digitals in the bright areas of any face shot was very present on this unit.

I'm not sure what model it was, the sale guy told me that is was a 1080p unit, but I can't pinoint it on the Runco website. Anyways, I'm sure it was well over $25K if not a heck of a lot more. Nahhhhhhh, not for me!

Very Happy
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So I looked at digitals yesterday... Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
...the mosquito noise was HORRIBLE.

That's a feature - it keeps the chavs out of your home theater!

(You'll have to look up chavs and 'mosquito' together if you don't know what I mean...)

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the following of JVC in projection. I do not see the following in Panasonic. Both, in my opinion, are far from be home theater centered in product development. Their respective cores are business projection and anything applied to home theater seems far from the mark in honest intentions.

For instance, why would someone consider the RS1/2 over the Sony VW40/50/60/100/200? I get the brightness aspect, but that, to me, is meaningless if its a) going to raise the black level, and b) if its going to get wasted post-calibration in order to get them color corrected and maximized contrast.

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the 200, but the Ruby and Pearl (to me) are far under the RS1. I can deal with a lot of flaws in an image, but panel misalignment drives me nuts. I'd rather have colors way off than any visible panel misalignment.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get your point, Wan. Sony develops for, and sells its SXRD technology to the high-end commercial install and dCinema markets, too. So?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I do not understand the following of JVC in projection. I do not see the following in Panasonic. Both, in my opinion, are far from be home theater centered in product development. Their respective cores are business projection and anything applied to home theater seems far from the mark in honest intentions.

For instance, why would someone consider the RS1/2 over the Sony VW40/50/60/100/200? I get the brightness aspect, but that, to me, is meaningless if its a) going to raise the black level, and b) if its going to get wasted post-calibration in order to get them color corrected and maximized contrast.

This post shows that you understand none of this and have put in ZERO effort to understand it. Perhaps you should spend about 8 minutes on research and post a sensible question. Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: So I looked at digitals yesterday... Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

One was a Panasonic AE900U, bought last year for $2000. WHile it was bright, the panel alignment was HORRIBLE, massive misalignment from 12' away. Yech!

As you know, digital tech is not yet fully mature. The AE900 is two generations old (not that the newer ones are THAT much better). Further, LCD is the bottom of the barrel digital tech. To give you an idea, a used AE900 is worth about $500 or less now.

Curt Palme wrote:
At the one store I saw the home equivelent of the JVC RS2. It was the first RS2 I'd seen, and while I didn't view it critically, I did notice that the panel alignment was a lot better than the RS1 I saw last year at Cliff's place. AS I said, I spent less than 5 minutes with it, but it looked pretty decent even though it was projecting on a gray screen. (soon to be changed apparently).

RS2 should never be on a gray screen. If you ever get to see a properly calibrated and set up RS2 and don't say it is as good as any CRT you've seen, Id have to say you are fibbing. Wink

Curt Palme wrote:
Now, to be fair, they were running a 480p component DVD player into the Runco scaler, then out to the projector, but the mosquito noise was HORRIBLE. Good from far, far from good.

Because of the way DLP does its thing, it reveals flaws in source material worse than any other tech I've seen. If the noise you saw was in dark areas, then it could also be dithering. But in general, when I've looked at noisy material (lots of compression artifacts), DLP has always looked worse the CRT, LCD or LCoS because it is too revealing.

Curt Palme wrote:
Also, the posterization, that oily color that I see in many digitals in the bright areas of any face shot was very present on this unit.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "oily color". But, there is not such thing as a DLP without posterization. It is just the really good ones don't have it as bad.

Lastly, as all should know, you can't judge any projector by the way it looks in a store! Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that sheen/oily look in bright parts of people's faces. It looks like their skin is about to break out in a bad case of acne. Someone called that look as being 'posterization' over at avs a while back.

Both of these stores were high end places, ones where I'd expect the showroom projectors to be set up in the best way possible. This wasn't a BB or CC...

I've never bashed the RS1. I've only seen the one at Cliff's place last summer, and watched it for about an hour. I did really like it. But there's still the lack of serviceability and cost of bulbs...Sad
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I mean that sheen/oily look in bright parts of people's faces. It looks like their skin is about to break out in a bad case of acne. Someone called that look as being 'posterization' over at avs a while back.

Yes, that could be posterization or "false contouring". DLPs are the worst for this. As I said, they all have it, it is only a matter of degree. Smile

Curt Palme wrote:
Both of these stores were high end places, ones where I'd expect the showroom projectors to be set up in the best way possible. This wasn't a BB or CC...

NEVER make that assumption. We have some high end stores here is Dallas and they do not calibrate or set things up correctly. They pull them out of the box, hang them, and call it good. Seriously, in all the stores here in Dallas, I've only found one, yet ONE, that actually ISF calibrates the projectors they put on display!

Everyone things that a digital is just "pull it out and set it up." Well, that is not true. I've seen digitals that look like complete ass out of the box that properly set up and calibrated looked pretty good.

Curt Palme wrote:
I've never bashed the RS1. I've only seen the one at Cliff's place last summer, and watched it for about an hour. I did really like it. But there's still the lack of serviceability and cost of bulbs...Sad

No, you can bash the RS1--its colors are horrible and its black levels were too high. A G90 or Cine 9 still beats an RS1 handily. The RS2 still has too high of black levels, but they are pretty good. Everything else about the RS2 though, buts it in league with a G90 or Cine 9.

There is no serviceability at the component level, is that what you mean? Or is it the parts are so expensive and projector values drop so fast that it is not worth it? I agree that this is not optimum, but there are repairable parts in digitals--the light engine, the system board, the color wheel assembly, etc. It is just that they are very expensive parts and when they die, the PJ is worth less than those parts!

As far as bulbs, I think this is too overblown. Yes, there are bulb mishaps and early death in some models just as there is spot burn. But most people get over 1000 hours on a bulb, many 2000 hours. A new bulb is from $250 (bare bulb) to $400. Say $400 every 1500 hours. That is $2400 for 9000 hours. How much does a set of LC 9" tubes cost? Smile

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

This post shows that you understand none of this and have put in ZERO effort to understand it. Perhaps you should spend about 8 minutes on research and post a sensible question. Smile
Good think you are not a doctor, because even those heartless bastards ha e abetter bedside manner than exhibited here.

Cheers.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Person99 wrote:
WanMan wrote:

Good think you are not a doctor, because even those heartless bastards ha e abetter bedside manner than exhibited here.

Cheers.

It is because yes, forums are fun for discussion and all that. But come on, you could google for a few seconds before you posted obvious to answer things. For instance, here is your post from this thread:

WanMan wrote:

This has one obvious error that would have taken 2 seconds to find out--it assumes a brighter projector has a higher black level. If I have two projectors, one with an on/off CR of 10,000:1 and one with an on/off CR of 3000:1, the first projector can be both brighter and have a lower black level.

We all know contrast ratio is king. Googling for 2 more seconds would have shown you that the Sony's LCoS projectors have panel contrast ratios of less than 3500:1. The Sony's achieve an about 9000:1 CR with a dynamic iris. The RS1 has a contrast ratio of over 10,000:1 and the RS2 has over 20,000:1 without a dynamic iris. Which do you think is likely to look better?

If you think the RS2 is far from the mark in home theater projection, you simply have no clue what you are talking about--sorry, but that is a simple fact.

Glen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my modded 9500LC with a RS1 last year......... picture brightness and resolution were great, black level left a bit to be desired..... (worked well when some ambient light was present) When the RS2 came out, I replaced my RS1, much better in black level and lower brightness, using the 600-hour bulb from the RS1. I have always used a Lumagen, correcting the grayscale and gamma with them and have been very pleased with performance. I am currently at 1300-hours on the bulb and still enjoy the picture. True, the black level could be a bit better (I have a matte white screen), the colors didn't really offend me, however, they are now corrected with the Radiance........ I don't miss the occasional re-convergence adjustments, the fan noise and the "BIG" projector sitting next to me.
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The runco was probably the Signature Cinema SC1

I saw it @ my old shop w/ the Electric anamorphic lens. The HD sources looked .....good. non hd... not good. But it was BRIGHT. A 140 inch widescreen w/ auto masking. The simpsons movie in HD was Really good.

If a shop is showing that thing w/ anything less than an HD signal they should lose their runco dealership.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
BlackSabbath

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest here, about one year ago I crossed over from CRT to digital, and I have also seen a lot of really expensive digital projectors in high end stores. I have to say, I really like sony's LCOS (well they insist on calling it sxrd but its lcos) offerings. In fact, as some of you may know the digital I ended up with is a VPL-VW50 (pearl) and I have been very happy with the picture thus far.

I think that if you are coming from CRT, and are shopping for digitals, the best place to start is LCOS, not DLP because to me DLP is far too harsh and LCOS is far smoother, I consider my pearl's picture exceptionally smooth for a digital.

Of course, you still cant beat a G90 for pure picture, being a CRT guy for 3 years made me learn that, but I do like a good LCOS.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it sounds like you're getting ready to crossover to the digital world. Maybe another year of talking yourself into it will do it and repeating to yourself while looking into the mirror "hmmm digitals are pretty damn good now - hmmm digital are pretty damn good now".
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late -- Dave went digital several months ago!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those that switch are countered by emails like this:

After going through my 3rd LCD/DLP projector (and 4th lamp) I am really considering taking the plunge into a CRT unit, and these units are in the range of what I would pay for a decent used 720p capable DLP/LCD set ($4-600).
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand what people are doing to their projectors to kill them. We just had a Mitsubishi HC5000 (1080p) PJ die out in the field, but it was ON A MOTION PLATFORM!

I can count maybe 3 failures of XGA-class 3-panel LCD projectors out of 40+ shipped, in 3 years. We'll see how the HD PJs fare; I suspect they may be more delicate, but still... like I said, these things are being thrown around quite literally like they're mounted in the back of a monster truck!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didn't know Dave went to the other side. So what digital did you go with Dave, hope you got a good price for your Cine8.
Ridebreck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CIH bug bit him just a little too hard for him to overcome it. I don't recall what he ended up with, but I know that he's been toying with different anamorphic lenses and such. I really think that he's happy with the choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: