Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/29/latest-npd-report-shows-blu-ray-sales-were-no-trend/

Toshiba is going to be running a HD DVD commercial for the Superbowl. I heard that around 2 million HDTVs were sold recently, primarily for watching the Superbowl in HD. It seems like a great way to reach HDTV owners who might not have a HD player. Blu-ray isn't going to be running a Superbowl ad. Again, I don't think HD DVD is dead. Losing? Sure. Dead? No.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what percentage of the 2 million HDTV's that were sold to watch the SuperBowl in HD... will actually display the SuperBowl in HD. From the stats I've read, about 20% of them will be taken home, unboxed, and connected to the new owner's SD cable or satellite box or analog cable feed and they'll assume they're watching HD.

No, HD-DVD isn't dead. But, they MUST get some more studio support back - or it will be dead, at least as a mainstream format.

Interestingly, I just looked at my Netflix queue, and there are 21 HD-DVD's versus 26 BD's, so I'm not seeing the huge difference in the number of good titles that supposedly exists.

The battle rages on.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure some will be watching upscaled SDTV thinking it's HDTV. Though I got to imagine that people are catching on a bit more. Many electronics stores also offer setup and I'm sure they're making more effort to inform the customers on how to properly hook it up. Granted, there will still be people that wont figure it out on their own. However, I'm sure many of these HDTVs are for Superbowl parties and with such events you'll probably have at least someone who knows the difference between SD and HD and will find a pair of rabbit ears or make a run to Radio Shack for a UHF antenna to be an OTA HDTV hero.

It will be interesting to see what they've come up with for the Superbowl ad. I've already heard radio ads for HD DVD recently. Whether such a campaign will work or is too late, I think we'll have to wait a while longer. I say Paramount or Universal need to fold on HD DVD before it's declared dead. I'm also kind of surprised that Blu-ray isn't going to be advertising during the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the biggest broadcast television event for showcasing HD.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to give Toshiba credit for at least going down in a fight. But they are going down. Canceling the pre-CES press conference and slashing hardware prices in half shows the desperation of someone about to lose a fight. Block, "HD DVD, block!"

I'm guessing that most HD DVD fans (not a fan of either, really, as I support both) should be buying a second and third unit for their house and buying extra movies to support the cause. Then again, maybe they are.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DVD player prices are certainly right! And on "clearance" at many retailers.

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

So Sony can give Blu-ray players away for free with HDTVs but HD DVD selling their players for $100 is the writing on the wall? That ad is for Circuit City and on CircuitCity.com the HD-A3 is still listed at $150. It's also that price at Best Buy and $126 on Amazon. There's no mention of "clearance" on those ads. I'm not sure what else you expect from a format that needs to play serious catch-up.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was verified that Circuit City was only putting "clearance" on those is because there was a new SKU for the players without Warner movies in the box. Supposedly a new player with two Borne movies included.
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
. Blu-ray isn't going to be running a Superbowl ad. Again, I don't think HD DVD is dead. Losing? Sure. Dead? No.

More denial Smile

There are huge across the board dumpings of all HD-DVD stock - the only reason there have been sales at all

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it took a month but Wally World finally lowered the HD-A3 price from $250 to $139.

I'm still not buying. I could buy eight more Blu-ray movies with that kind of money. Or six more 1.75-liter bottles of Irish Cream.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
MYoung wrote:
. Blu-ray isn't going to be running a Superbowl ad. Again, I don't think HD DVD is dead. Losing? Sure. Dead? No.

More denial Smile

There are huge across the board dumpings of all HD-DVD stock - the only reason there have been sales at all

And the Giants will probably lose to the Patriots, so why should they even both playing?

GO GIANTS!!!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend Reply with quote

MYoung wrote:
oliverg wrote:
MYoung wrote:

More denial Smile

And the Giants will probably lose to the Patriots, so why should they even both playing?

GO GIANTS!!!
Well, from the last few years of SB-watching its not about the actual game, because the actual game is usually boring, a blowout, and never a really good game. Its all about the hype, the commercials, and the excuse to have a party.

Of course, if Sony wants to give me $100 and do a one-for-one replacement (or even a 1-for-2 replacement) of movies I might just be game enough to take it.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Circuit City is not dumping HD DVD.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5485
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Circuit City wouldn't even price match its competitors during that Friday $99 fiasco. As such, I returned the second A2. Let's CC eat cake.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Well, from the last few years of SB-watching its not about the actual game, because the actual game is usually boring, a blowout, and never a really good game. Its all about the hype, the commercials, and the excuse to have a party.

Blu-ray missed a chance to further damage HD DVD in not having their act together for getting a commercial ready in time. We all know about the studio advantage of Blu-ray, but do the 90 million Americans who will be watching the Superbowl know about that? Title availability right now doesn't overwhelmingly reflect the current studio advantage of Blu-ray or the upcoming 75% studio advantage of Blu-ray.

I do think the Giants have a chance to beat the Patriots. In addition, I think most of the country will be rooting for the Giants to spoil it for the Patriots. Either that or they'll be looking to witness sports history by the Patriots having a perfect season. If not either of those, they'll be looking to score some free booze and munchies from a party and be entertained HD eye-candy and amusing commercials. I'll be DVRing the commercials and putting them on 3x DVD. Smile I think it would have been even more interesting had the Packers made it to the Superbowl, though the Giants have proven that they can compete with the Patriots.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you PVR the HD-DVD commercial? That's the only thing I want to see.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the HD-DVD superbowl commercial here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tX0lr01v9U

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to. Razz
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You can see the HD-DVD superbowl commercial here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tX0lr01v9U

Kal

A little too short I thought. But it does get the point across.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: