Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

High Rez Audio on htpc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willy76

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: High Rez Audio on htpc? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is there any way to get DTS master audio or Dolby TrueHD from a htpc? I'm an audio buff so to me this is a must. i know ati will pass through 5.1 through there new cards but is that standard dts or dd? what about 7.1?
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be done if you re-encode the audio to FLAC and use analogue outputs on an appropriate soundcard (24bit, 96khz).
Willy76

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you dumb it down a bit, that whole statement reads like german to me. sorry.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy76 wrote:
could you dumb it down a bit, that whole statement reads like german to me. sorry.

Its not really a plug and play solution. What I think that means is you must rip it to the hard drive then strip off the audio then re-ecode the audio and video and play it with FLAC. I have no idea how time consuming this would be.

IMO audio right now is sorly lacking in an HTPC. There will most likely be better soultions in the future but right now there is not. Unless someone else pipes up with an idea. If you want HD audio it would probably be best to just get a standalone player for now. With my crapy audio equipment all I can decode is DD or DTS anyway without an investment in new equipment, I am always told its too loud anyway so I haven't made that jump.

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: