Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I am charged to find (ugh!) a flatscreen TV. Need choices.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: I am charged to find (ugh!) a flatscreen TV. Need choice Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Moose wrote:
... my brothers wife, the expert who doesn't know squat

Think of her before you buy an industrial plasma.
"What do you mean there aren't any speakers!?" etc., etc., divorce.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I bought a 42" Panasonic TH42PX50U last year, in fact, I bought two of them, and they have been great. It comes with its own stand, which many units do not. I recommend it highly, with the caveat that the first thing to do is turn down the eyeball-searing white level to something a little more constrained.

In my opinion, in this size range, I'm doubtful of the benefits of 1080. First of all, it's very difficult to squeeze that many pixels into a 42" plasma, leading to design compromises and secondly, unless the viewer (assuming average eyesight) is going to sit closer than 4 feet from the screen, they will be unable to resolve the additional resolution.

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a shootout in one of the HT rags where they tested a half dozen or so 42-50" 1080p LCD's. For fun, they also threw in a Pioneer 768p plasma just to see if anybody noticed. Guess which display several of the viewers chose as the BEST looking display? They made the comment that 'contrast is king'. It's so true. In 90% if the installations of these 1080p LCDs, the viewer's aren't sitting close enough to tell the difference between 1080p, 768p!!! I tried explaining it my father-in-law (he sits around 12' from his tube and they're in the market), and he was very suspicious of what I was saying. Looking at his face, it was almost as if he was thinking, "Hmmm... That counters everything I've read and heard about how great 1080p is and why I need it. My son-in-law is supposedly an expert on all this HD/HT stuff, how could he be so wrong?"

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to bother, you could print up some sample "test patterns" on paper, one line on / one line off, at the dot pitch he'd have for 1080 and 720 in his desired screen size. (Or alternating dot patterns would be even better, but harder to print.) Hold up the papers at the distance he'll watch. Ask him if they look any different. Probably they'll both look uniformly gray to him. Even with 20/20 vision (which he probably doesn't have) you can't distinguish those dots at that distance.

Let's say he gets a 50" diagonal screen -- a pretty damn big flat panel. That's 43.6" x 24.5". He's sitting at 12'/43.6" = 3.3x screen width, and we all know what that means. So the dot pitch for 1920x1080 is 0.0227" (1/44"), and 0.034" (1/30"). Ask him if he thinks he can see a 1/30" dot from 12' away!

According to http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/Tech-Corner/Hoffner_features.shtml, the "design goal" for HDTV would dictate a screen size of 80x45" at 11.3'. It also says a human eye with 20/20 vision can only resolve 1mm lines at 11.3'. The 720p dot pitch is .86mm. At 12', 720p dot pitch **for a 50" screen** is beyond the resolving capability of 20/20 vision. If his screen is any smaller than 50", it's just that much more beyond his ability to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: