Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

system interrupt controller?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: system interrupt controller? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Okay, It's been a long time since I put together a pc, and I'm having trouble getting a standard dvd drive to play. the device manager says the dvd is working and the only thing that has an issue is the system interrupt controller. This is a MCE 2005, athlon, 2 gig ram, ECS K8T890-A motherboard, nvidea 8600gt.... Anyone got a guess why this doesnt work? How do I fix the interrupt controller?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interrupt controller is how your device communicates with the processor. You may have an IRQ conflict. How do you have the DVD configured? Primary slave, secondary master or slave?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... the dvd and the cd/rw are set for cable select on the secondary controller. the hard drives are cable select primary.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what your uh.... means, but have you tried it with the cdrw disconnected. Also does device manager list the name and model of your dvd. Then in device manager if you select view, then resource by type, then interrupt request are there any errors?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh . Forgot the important question. Is this a new assembly and if so did you install all the drivers for the mb from the cd that came with it?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in device manager, under system devices are there any flags?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's new to me. I got the mb/processor/drives/ram out of a dumpster, someone tossed the whole system out because the processor came out of the socket. I straightened a few pins and reinstalled it. Works great except for this conflict. no cd with it, it's an ECS K8T890-A with an Athlon 64, 2ghz. Device manager is where it says the interrupt controller is the only thing not working. Big yellow flag on it. Maybe I need to get some drivers? or just change the interrupt? Ya know... I think I saw two devices on int. 10. I'll check that when I get home.
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will usually be a chipset driver - download the chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer

These are notmally on a disc that comes with the PC too - mostly loaded by running setup on the CD. The drivers are mostly loaded concurrently with any on-board sound and network drivers that haven't been found auto-magically

Good luck

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a driver issue. Here's your drivers:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=510&DetailName=Driver&MenuID=1&LanID=0
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded all those late last night but haven't had a chance to install any yet. If everything else works which driver do I need to install? I'd really like to keep this thing as clean as possible.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would install them all except for the win98 only one. Even if there are not any problems with the other devices, these are sometimes updated drivers that help with know problems to exist. Also it doesnt hurt to have the drivers installed for devices you are not currently useing and if in the future you decide to install these devices you already have the drivers installed and dont have to go looking for them. Sometimes as things get older the drivers for them are harder to find also. Having drivers for your computer installed dont have anything to do with keeping it clean as they are not really clutter to the HD. Did you wipe out the hard drives or do they still have the info on them as when you found it?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appeared to be new 160 gig maxtor drives, They were not formatted and had zero dust or marks on them. Oh and the maxblast cd was there with retail boxes for both drives. it looked to me like someone had tried to upgrade it and had knocked the cpu loose and bent some pins so they tossed the thing. the drives are a very close fit to install, there is a big zalman cpu fan a heatsink attached. i think the screws that hold the heatsink to the board had vibrated out and they whacked it pulling out the old drive.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find. I know you said they were at cable select but did you physically check the jumper location? Also jumper location for the dvd and cdrw?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, checked the jumpers and tried master/slave setup also. I'm going to go get the LG combo drive tomorrow (FRY'S for 249.00) so I'll only have the hard drives on primary ide and the LG connected to the sata controller. I'm not exactly sure which cpu is in this thing, it was really hard to read the tiny print on it. How do I find out what it really is? In the bios? or the boot sequence screen? It's pretty damn fast compared to my 5 yr old pc at work...
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be 100% sure of what it is you need to read it off the processor with a magnifier. Other options not always accurate are: control panel/system/on the general page or start/run/dxdiag/on system page. There are others but I find these the easiest and usually most accurate however I have on occasion found these in error.
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control panel says it is a: Athlon 64 processor 3800+ 2.41ghz 2048 mb of ram
I'm off now to Fry's for the LG drive. Very Happy
I just got Cox digital cable, Which tuner card do I want to get?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the drivers for the board and all is well there, put in the LG drive and it works. Bought the Visiontek ATI TV Wonder HD 650 tuner card, gonna put it in later. Any experience with it?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
Installed the drivers for the board and all is well there, put in the LG drive and it works. Bought the Visiontek ATI TV Wonder HD 650 tuner card, gonna put it in later. Any experience with it?

Cool...One bad thing about the version of PowerDVD that comes with the drive is it won't update to the new version of PDVD yet that supports BR 1.1. right now the only disk I know of that is 1.1 and won't play is 3:10 to Yuma.

I had bought a copy of PDVD Ultra a while back to use with the XBox addin, so I uninstalled the OEM then reinstalled the retail version to get the update. When I did this I also had to tweak the colorspace_option key in the regestry to get my inky blacks back.

There are also maybe firmware updates for the drive 1.02 is the latest I beleive. You can download them from LG or the software on the disk installs a little progam that tells you an updates for the drive is available then updates the firmware when you accept it.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive did do a firmware update, and it played an HD movie just fine. Looked great on the monitor but it looks like crap on the PJ, it looks like I ned to run the HD DVE setup and get it dialed in. I'll have to wait til after today's game for that, I still have a lot of work to do before the party. The tuner card isn't finding any channels either...
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
I'll have to wait til after today's game for that, I still have a lot of work to do before the party. The tuner card isn't finding any channels either...

Game....what game is that?.... Smile How are you receiving channels..OTA? if so make sure you have it setup for air channels not cable. IMO most HD cards for OTA require an outdoor antenna for stable reception.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: