Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

problems setting 960p custom with nvidia

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: problems setting 960p custom with nvidia Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've been messing with this all morning, and I'm not quite sure what is going on. I revisited my physical setup yesterday, and today I was trying to make a 960p custom res. I've had no problems with 720p custom resolutions at various refresh rates, and all the default HD resolutions work okay, but I am getting nowhere with 960p. The issues are various depending on horizontal resolution (1440 or 1707) and refresh rate (shooting for 72, but tried 48 also), but nothing I have done so far is coming up in anything remotely like the right shape or size.

Can anyone suggest a basic set of parameters to start with?

Thanks.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyd

Nvidia is screwed up. I run 1440X960 @48. What I have found is you have one chance to set things the way you want it. What will happen is you can set up for one resolution, after you do that settings will not stick, you can do them, but when you click on OK they revert back. Pretty much have to uninstall Nvidia and go though everything again.

Not sure if that is what you could be experiencing, but it is a common problem with Nvidia.

Deron.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which card lyd? I just gave up on my Nvidia 8600 and bought an ATi 3850. The Nvidia wouldn't remember resolutions after a reboot. I spent a couple of hours in a conveloted way, setting up 3 custom timmings and the next day they were gone. Thumbs Down

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
Lyd

Nvidia is screwed up. I run 1440X960 @48. What I have found is you have one chance to set things the way you want it. What will happen is you can set up for one resolution, after you do that settings will not stick, you can do them, but when you click on OK they revert back. Pretty much have to uninstall Nvidia and go though everything again.

Not sure if that is what you could be experiencing, but it is a common problem with Nvidia.

Deron.

Hmm, well, I do notice some weirdness like that when I try to do multiple changes to an existing timing when only hitting the test button between the changes, but if exit out of the custom timing dialog and then go back in the next change sticks.

My problems are more related to just not getting a picture that seems to sync properly. Some of them are WAAYYY off to the left, requireing a crazy amount of phase adjustment to center, and others are just not getting the whole desktop in the raster, no matter how low I set the porch. Added to all that is the fact that some settings put the driver into the pan-with-the-mouse mode rather than displaying the full resolution I have entered, and I can't figure out how to control that with any predictability. Trying different scaling/no scaling modes doesn't seem to have much effect for any given resolution/refresh rate combination. It just does what it wants.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Which card lyd? I just gave up on my Nvidia 8600 and bought an ATi 3850. The Nvidia wouldn't remember resolutions after a reboot. I spent a couple of hours in a conveloted way, setting up 3 custom timmings and the next day they were gone. Thumbs Down

7900 GTO. I've been pretty happy with it at 720p/72 or 720p/96, and it works fine at 1080p/60, but since I can't resolve that fully I didn't bother with trying to make a custom timing. I had no trouble creating the timings for 720 though, and it has remembered multiple different ones through many reboots.

I just can't seem to find a way to make it happy with 960.

lyd

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ok you're in the old series of cards where powerstrip will work. Whole different thing.

CRT.

HD done right!
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Ahhh ok you're in the old series of cards where powerstrip will work. Whole different thing.

I'm not using powerstrip, though.

lyd

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, as I understand it and have experianced. The new series of Nvidia drivers that have the powerstrip-like adjustments built in, are not the most stable. I have no experiance with the 7000 series cards though. I was so frustrated with the drivers I went and bought an ATi, and I really don't like ATi!

Does the software remember your custom setting after a reboot?

CRT.

HD done right!
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Yeah, I haven't had a problem with that.

lyd

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Yeah, I haven't had a problem with that.

lyd

Ahh AND that's the difference between the 7000 and 8000 series cards.

Have you tried powerstrip with that one at all? Maybe it'll be easier to work with?

CRT.

HD done right!
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Have you tried powerstrip with that one at all? Maybe it'll be easier to work with?

I've considered it a couple of times, but haven't tried it yet. I'd much rather just use the driver unless that proves completely impossible.

lyd

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: