Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

programing a crestron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's an Elo model 710A. I paid $75 for it.
I also bought one of the computers that went with it. It is pretty cool to be able to touch the screen instead of using the mouse. I set the computer up for my daughter,it is 2.4Ghz celeron with 512mb of DDR266 memory and a 80Gb hard drive that also cost me $75 with keyboard and mouse.

View user's photo album (24 photos)
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal! You may want it back once we get to the IP gateway part of my tale.

Thankx again all,
JM
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get two more if they are not already sold.
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a deal to me!! I actually have IP based touch screens all over my house, Most made of 100mhz P1 dell laptops- and they are plenty fast for the basics, yours would do full multimedia in addition.

Do you have any HA equipment yet?

Tally ho,
JM
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is HA equipment?
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, HA- Home Automation.

Any X10 or IR programming box's, etc

JM
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.

I just picked this up because I thought it would be cool to play with and that I "might" be able to use it for some kind of automation thing.

jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you do next really depends on your level of programming skills- you have a full (and speedy) computer, it can be the HA box as well as HT scaling, media player, etc. In order to send IR, X10 or other special signals you will need something plugged into it, the crestron can fit the bill for the IR and other hardware interface needs but may not be your best choice. You also need to decide if you want the computer on 24/7 or you just want it to be the user interface, in the latter the crestron becomes a very good choice.

We are getting a little off topic now, it might be better to start another thread and see what suggestions the other members have for using a self-contained touchscreen computer- there are many many options out there. Girder, Mcontrol & HAL are three that come to mind quickly.

Good luck!
JM
fireanimal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JM, thanks for the info so far

Have you ever played around with girder and netremote? This is what I am planning on using for my house. Just wondering if there are any tips/tricks for using it.
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using net-remote now to connect my PDA to my system, it will accept CCF's generated by the crestron program for their version of the pronto remote. I had to write my own server for it and reviewed Girder in the process, it looks very nice and well done, would make a good HA controller but I already have that covered in several other ways and moved on.

JM Thumbs Up
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No programming skills at all. All 5 of the computers presently here are on 24/7. I use one for upscaling and playing DVDs for the theater.
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No programming skills at all. All 5 of the computers presently here are on 24/7. I use one for upscaling and playing DVDs for the theater.

Ok then you need something off the shelf for now, like I said start another thread and see what the other members suggest, my skill set is good but not completely up to date and this field is expanding to fast for me to keep up with.

I do recommend Insteon over X10 for the lights, M-control looked nice for a self-contained touch screen computer controller but be sure to ask the others before jumping on anything.

Goodluck again!
Jmayes
fireanimal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insteon is also what I am considering. Currently I have a couple Zwave switches controlled with a Harmony Remote, but it seems hit and miss. I am hoping girder and insteon co-operate a little better:)
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Insteon is also what I am considering. Currently I have a couple Zwave switches controlled with a Harmony Remote, but it seems hit and miss. I am hoping girder and insteon co-operate a little better:)

The key to Insteon is to buy the starter kit to begin with which includes the two RF repeaters, that is the way you get your two legs of AC to bridge without going into your fuse box and hardwiring something. More RF repeaters can be added if you have stubborn areas or a very large home.

Too bad about z-wave, I have heard good things about it but have no first hand experience.

Good luck!
Jmayes
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmayes, welcome to the forum! Just thought I'd chime in and say 'hello' - from a fellow HA geek (a little bit, anyway). I'm running Smarthome X10 and Insteon switches in the house with Indigo on on an old PowerBook w/OS X to control it all. Indigo has a web server so I can control everything on- or off-site from my iPhone. That really blows people's minds.

In the theater, I have Insteon dimmers and an AMX/Panja Axcent 3 controller with a couple of color touch panels. It's my winter project to get it programmed. AMX doesn't have the handy dandy visual symbol programming like Crestron has. Fortunately, I did some work for a large VR (virtual reality) systems integrator and got my feet plenty wet enough to feel comfortable writing script. Now, to find the time...

The exciting part for me will be when I get Indigo talking to the AMX controller via serial. When I accomplish that, I'll be able pull up my Indigo control page from my iPhone on the way home, fire up the theater, and have the projector warmed up by the time I get down there! Wink.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup! About 5 years ago (dang, has it been that long!!!) I built a widget called the IP-Commander, it was based on the Siteplayer from Netmedia- the idea was to put one on each controlled device- it has a serial port and an X10 port and can serve a mini website (only 45k of space). Well the company sponsoring me did a unexpected down-sizing and stopped sales support so I ended up with most of the first run for personal use. I have used them for years now before going to the Crestron, Basically I use a server computer to "Serve" the main webpages and the links direct to whatever IP-Commander needs the command, No real central controller was needed, macros were done in javascript. One was hooked to an ADI Ocelot for IR and Time related X10 stuff. This has given me (via proxy installed in the server) full control of everything over the web as well as all my IP based touch screens. Over the years I added a PC program for logging and emails to round it all off.

The new system uses just one IP-Commander connected to the Crestron which give me the net control and X10 gateway for the older CN-Rack which has no ethernet ports. In Fact even after upgrading to the CNX-Rack (more on that later) which as a ethernet option, Crestron still can not duplicate the simple control triggers I use for my IP system, they instead choose to use a full suite of active-x apps (bloated and not friendly to anything other then IE).

So once you make the connection form your AMX to the powerbook you will be about where I am, Showing friends your home setup on the road is really neat, add a few IP cameras and BAM.

Thankx for the input!
Jmayes

Quote:
Jmayes, welcome to the forum! Just thought I'd chime in and say 'hello' - from a fellow HA geek (a little bit, anyway). I'm running Smarthome X10 and Insteon switches in the house with Indigo on on an old PowerBook w/OS X to control it all. Indigo has a web server so I can control everything on- or off-site from my iPhone. That really blows people's minds.

In the theater, I have Insteon dimmers and an AMX/Panja Axcent 3 controller with a couple of color touch panels. It's my winter project to get it programmed. AMX doesn't have the handy dandy visual symbol programming like Crestron has. Fortunately, I did some work for a large VR (virtual reality) systems integrator and got my feet plenty wet enough to feel comfortable writing script. Now, to find the time...

The exciting part for me will be when I get Indigo talking to the AMX controller via serial. When I accomplish that, I'll be able pull up my Indigo control page from my iPhone on the way home, fire up the theater, and have the projector warmed up by the time I get down there! .
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmayes,
Could you start your own thread ? Great info ! Would be nice to have a fresh start ... Wink
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Jmayes,
Could you start your own thread ? Great info ! Would be nice to have a fresh start ... Wink

Ok, I guess that really is a good idea- this one is going in different directions, I will just name it "Programming a Crestron System Part 2" If anyone is interested in exactly that topic please by all means post in the new thread otherwise we can keep general system stuff here.

Thankx again all!
Jmayes
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Xantech 789-44 connecting block compatible with Crestron controllers ?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-476
jmayes

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that one won't work, it requires 12v level IR signals. (already amplified signels).

This block should do fine;
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=182-484

Good luck!
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: