Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDTV Cable with htpc

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: HDTV Cable with htpc Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am using my pc to watch sdtv on my crt using dscaler and svideo out from my stb to my capture card. Now I have been doing a lot of reading and searching on the subject of hdtv. I want to by a hd stb for cable and would like to control it wit my pc, the same I am doing now.
But, from what I can understand (might be wrong) my capture card won't pass hd. I don't care to much about recording although it would be nice, all I want is to watch hdtv on my pj going through my pc. I would like it as simple as possible. My pj only has 5 bnc in and I am driving it with my nvidia 6600gt. Now, is there a tv card I can stick in my computer that would allow me to do this without having to mortgage my house buying other stuff besides the stb?
Don
AvgOrdinaryGuy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cable company doesn't encrypt all HDTV you could get a HDTV tuner card that supports QAM and use the computer to tune those channels. Likely all you could get that way is the local networks. That won't work everywhere though. Doesn't work for me, the cable co here encrypts ALL channels, even the OTA locals!

Another option would be if the cable STB has an active firewire port, you may be able to control the box and capture that way.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moposterdick6 wrote:
http://Jennifer-Lopez-Doing-A-Huge-Black-Man.info

I am not so sure this is the response he was looking for. Very Happy

I would suggest that you consider the forthcoming solution of CableCard-supported Windows Vista, but the DRM constraint system in Vista may require you to have a video card with implemented HDCP.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What WanMan said. Part of the reason an HTPC is not so useful these days is all it does is play upscaled DVDs and tune in OTA HDTV.

Most cable boxes will only let you record content to a D-VHS machine (not a PC) via the firewire port. A few cable companies have everything in the clear, so you can use your PC to record content via the firewire cable, but this is becoming more rare.

Until the cablecard ready Vista PCs show up, there really are not many things you can do with an HTPC.

Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
GEBrown

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 will help out or not.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr950.html

Apparently they are shipping now - I saw one advertized in last Sundays paper.

My 2 cents

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEBrown wrote:
I don't know if this Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 will help out or not.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr950.html

Apparently they are shipping now - I saw one advertized in last Sundays paper.

My 2 cents

This only does over the air HDTV. Doesn't help with cable.

Dave
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cable there's a couple of options. None of which take a cable card. So your cable company has to put this stuff out unencripted (in the clear ).

There's the Fusion 5 card, Fusion USB 2 and the MYHD 130 cards the last one does over the air AND clear cable with two seperate connectors and it's a hardware based card.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
For cable there's a couple of options. None of which take a cable card. So your cable company has to put this stuff out unencripted (in the clear ).

This is becoming increasingly rare it seems. My provider is just like AvgOrdinaryGuy's--everything encrypted. In fact, no cable provider in Dallas leaves things out in the open other than OTA at best.

Dave
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's unfortunate. I wish there were a card that could do it all.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch, the FCC will require the cable companies to provide an HDMI interface, but the deadline will be 2-3 years after the rest of the electronics market has migrated from HDMI to Dataport. And even then the cable companies will claim to not support HDMI.

Gotsta love those American cable providers in their willingness to [not] compete.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Is this true for satelite as well. I've been wanting to order hd dish. Till now I've used my htpc just for dvd's. If an htpc is out of the picture, what other (under 500.00) alternatives are there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: