Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater is released!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ecrabb wrote:
Mike, I think you realize AR was being sarcastic... but, seriously - if you haven't played games for a long time, the new stuff will blow your mind. Some of these newer first person shooter war games are so realistic, it's unbelievable. The graphics are just jaw-dropping. I'm a console guy myself...On the big screen with the lights off and sound cranked, feet up in my recliner, stuff like Halo 3 and Call of Duty is just freaky. Amazing surround effects, super-immersive gorgeous graphics. I haven't seen Company of Heroes, but it looks pretty good.

I also play a racing game on the 360 called Forza Motorsports. Crank the sound up, pick out a Z06 or a Ferrari, and hammer around the Nuhrburgring or Road Atlanta at 195MPH. It's truly awesome. I race with a buddy of mine on Live whenever we have the time - it's a riot.

SC

I was being sarcastic too... I know they have change, I just hope I don't get addicted. Smile I am sort of excited about trying some of the newer one. Probably more from the technical aspects rather then using the actual game.

I have a real C5 Z06 but am unable to drive it like it really deserves to be driven because of those damn guys that wear the uniforms, I'm just a chicken sh*t when it comes to ticket and enjoy my low insurance rates. So a simulator sounds like a nice option. For the driving games do you use any kind of wheel controller? Is force feedback worth it?

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
ecrabb wrote:
Mike, I think you realize AR was being sarcastic... but, seriously - if you haven't played games for a long time, the new stuff will blow your mind. Some of these newer first person shooter war games are so realistic, it's unbelievable. The graphics are just jaw-dropping. I'm a console guy myself...On the big screen with the lights off and sound cranked, feet up in my recliner, stuff like Halo 3 and Call of Duty is just freaky. Amazing surround effects, super-immersive gorgeous graphics. I haven't seen Company of Heroes, but it looks pretty good.

I also play a racing game on the 360 called Forza Motorsports. Crank the sound up, pick out a Z06 or a Ferrari, and hammer around the Nuhrburgring or Road Atlanta at 195MPH. It's truly awesome. I race with a buddy of mine on Live whenever we have the time - it's a riot.

SC

I was being sarcastic too... I know they have change, I just hope I don't get addicted. Smile I am sort of excited about trying some of the newer one. Probably more from the technical aspects rather then using the actual game.

I have a real C5 Z06 but am unable to drive it like it really deserves to be driven because of those damn guys that wear the uniforms, I'm just a chicken sh*t when it comes to ticket and enjoy my low insurance rates. So a simulator sounds like a nice option. For the driving games do you use any kind of wheel controller? Is force feedback worth it?

Mike

Did somebody say wheel?

Logitech G25 with clutch and 6 speed shifter Thumbs Up

645_1_0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.14 KB
 Viewed:  5216 Time(s)

645_1_0.jpg

643_1_0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.73 KB

643_1_0.jpg

642_1_0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.82 KB

642_1_0.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Did somebody say wheel?
Logitech G25 with clutch and 6 speed shifter Thumbs Up

I second the thumbs up on this. I love mine. I haven't used it much since I got the projector, though. Ran out of room for the contrived racing seat setup. Need to build a proper cockpit one of these days so I can get back to it. I was doing a lot of Live for Speed for a while there. Highly recommended. No silly arcade action here.

I also have a Logitech Driving Force Pro with only about 30 hours on it, that I bought before I was won over by the G25. I'd be amiable to selling it for a reasonable price, if you are interested, Mike. Make me an offer.

lyd

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the older Momo forsefeedback wheel too. I need another one. They are awesum too.

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok..the driving wheel is a must. I downloaded a free version of GTR 2 but I think you are wrong AR they games have improved slightly from Pac-Man.

I played it for about 2 hours and I'm completely exhausted. This is a total waste of time, but I’m hooked. I did some autocrossing with Corvettes during the 1980’s and these games are scary realistic. The way you “feel” the car start to get loose in a corner is just like the real thing. I can’t understand how I get the illusion of over-steer when I’m not moving but somehow you do. Also when you push it too hard in a turn and go off in the dirt the car keeps going straight. Not that I have ever done that but I know thats what happens Smile

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Ok..the driving wheel is a must. I downloaded a free version of GTR 2 but I think you are wrong AR they games have improved slightly from Pac-Man.

I played it for about 2 hours and I'm completely exhausted. This is a total waste of time, but I’m hooked. I did some autocrossing with Corvettes during the 1980’s and these games are scary realistic. The way you “feel” the car start to get loose in a corner is just like the real thing. I can’t understand how I get the illusion of over-steer when I’m not moving but somehow you do. Also when you push it too hard in a turn and go off in the dirt the car keeps going straight. Not that I have ever done that but I know thats what happens Smile

Mike

Mmmm Corvette. Been there uhhh had blow out, ripped up rear body work...wasn't my car. GULP Shocked

Got a slap on the back by the car owner ( said in heavy Texas accent ) "Awwww that's racin' son!"
Texas oil millionaire's go figure

Total cost to me - new shorts Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Mmmm Corvette. Been there uhhh had blow out, ripped up rear body work...wasn't my car. GULP Shocked

Got a slap on the back by the car owner ( said in heavy Texas accent ) "Awwww that's racin' son!"
Texas oil millionaire's go figure

Total cost to me - new shorts Laughing

Wow.. I have heard of that happing to people it would scare the crap out of you. Most of the time it was atributed to the Firestone 500 tires that were recalled.

I spun out once on the hairpin at Indianapolis Raceway Park road course (Not the 500 track). Its loop on the lower right corner of the image linked below. No damage was done except for my pride but I found out how slipper grass can be. Not much different then ice once you break loose.

http://www.nhra.com/2007/images/indy/ORPWEEKE.JPG

That same weekend a guy totaled a car on turn 3 in the "S" turn near the top of the map. Raceway Park is a very fun road course but the older C3 vetts like I drove were very unpredictable, once they broke traction it was hard to figure out where they were going. Late 70’s were total dogs for horsepower too, so you could never induce any oversteer with the throttle to help you around a corner even though thats not the fastest way around.

I just picked up a full copy of GTR 2 at “Worst Buys” $20 bucks…That seems really cheap for as much entertainment as I think I will get out of it. What’s up with their Blu-ray prices? They seem really high. I got 3:10 to Yuma at Sams club though for $25. Not sure I will like it but was more intested in using it for a test disk for the new htpc.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: