Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Can someone confirm if this will work

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Can someone confirm if this will work Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

I'm getting ready to add HD-DVD and Blu-ray to my HTPC. I would like to do this as cheap as possible with what I have already. I'm running an AMD Athlon 4800+ X2 overclocked to 2.8Ghz on a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 motherboard with 1gig of DDR2 RAM.

Would this do the job: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125075

Is 256mb. of memory enough, I like this card and hope it will work as it doesn't have any fans and is (cheap) relative to other cards that I've been looking at.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited-sp

Last edited by Zebu Fellenz on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek other opinions, but it looks like it will work fine to me.

I posted because I had a question for you... If you are running an over-clocked X2, don't you have a hell of a lot of case fan noise anyway? Seems like the minimal fan noise introduced by an actively-cooled GPU would be lost in the background.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd,

What do you recommend, I would like to around $100 or less.

I'm using a Zalman CNPS9700 HSF and it does a good job keeping the CPU cool while being quiet at the same time.

I'm OK with using fans as long as they are quiet (relative to other components) and are of good quality, so far with video cards I have had one with a quiet fan (Geforce 6800 with aftermarket HSF) one with a loud fan (Geforce FX 5500) and one I'm replacing has a fan with bad bearings that made it a very loud (Geforce 6200LE)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm a great one to ask for recommendations, I really haven't looked at the current crop very closely. Unless something drastic happens, I was planning to wait for hdmi video+audio solutions to evolve a bit more before I considered upgrading anything. All I can tell you for certain is that I'm currently using an EVGA GeForce 7900GTO, and have no complaints with it.

I'm pretty sure you'll get some more insightful advice from others here. Wink

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think I'm a great one to ask for recommendations, I really haven't looked at the current crop very closely. Unless something drastic happens, I was planning to wait for hdmi video+audio solutions to evolve a bit more before I considered upgrading anything.

I wish I could do this but my 6200LE won't do HD-DVD no matter how much I want it to Wink
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one it works perfect with Vista and Powerstrip:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127308

Dirt cheap too $79 less $20 rebate, $59 after rebate.

Don't use the drivers that come with it. Download the latest from ATI.

Edit: You might consider another gig of ram too. DDR2 is very cheap now.

Good Luck!
Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect much difference from any modern-ish video card for HT use. The only real differences are in 3D performance, which is irrelevant. You *might* argue that some of the deinterlacing/hardware playback is marginally better, but if you're using an HTPC there's no reason not to do it in software anyway.

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:
I wouldn't expect much difference from any modern-ish video card for HT use. The only real differences are in 3D performance, which is irrelevant. You *might* argue that some of the deinterlacing/hardware playback is marginally better, but if you're using an HTPC there's no reason not to do it in software anyway.

True Peri however keep in mine the Geforce 8xxx series custom timmings are broken and the 8000 series cards don't work with powerstrip.

For gaming on a PC monitor, no problem though. Trying to get your 1080i/96 setup with proper pixle porches for you projector that's a problem.

Unfortunatly for HTPC ATi seems to be the choice.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ncc1701d

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone confirm if this will work Reply with quote

Yes it will work really well. I have a 2600xt/256 heatpipe cooled and hd-dvd and bd is at ~10% cpu hw accellerated (core2duo 2.66) .

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting ready to add HD-DVD and Blu-ray to my HTPC. I would like to do this as cheap as possible with what I have already. I'm running an AMD Athlon 4800+ X2 overclocked to 2.8Ghz on a Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 motherboard with 1gig of DDR2 RAM.

Would this do the job: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125075

Is 256mb. of memory enough, I like this card and hope it will work as it doesn't have any fans and is (cheap) relative to other cards that I've been looking at.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited-sp

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: