Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

PDVD -- getting 5.1 over spdif from TrueHD or LPCM tracks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: PDVD -- getting 5.1 over spdif from TrueHD or LPCM tracks? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Isn't this supposed to be a concept? When I was watching Superbad last night, which has only TrueHD and uncompressed LPCM tracks in english for the feature, I was unable to get powerdvd to downmix either to DTS or DD. I had the options checked to mix to DTS, but it didn't happen. The DD option was uncheckable, for whatever reason.

Anyone done this successfully?

I finally threw in the towel and scrounged up three crappy 1/8" stereo to RCA patches and tried to run through the analog inputs on my processor, but (aside from being noisy, which was a problem I already knew I had with the analog outputs on this onboard audio on this asus p5b-d) I couldn't seem to get the channels to map correctly, and wound up just going back to spdif and listening to it in matrix mode. Feh.

lyd
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sound card and or sound chipset are you using and does it support DTS transport to begin with?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's onboard "Soundmax HD" audio on an Asus P5B mobo. I think the chipset is ADI AD1988B.

I'm not sure what you mean by supporting "DTS transport". It will pass through DD and DTS, and does on other disks. The chipset also supports "DTS connect", but I don't think the drivers I am using support this, as there is no tab for it in the Soundmax control panel. Do I need it?

I thought that PDVD was going to do the mixdown and encoding to DTS, and I would just be passing through like usual.

lyd
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more input on this? I haven't been able to find much info anywhere else, or figure out anything on my own, either.

I did get the analog output working, noisy as it is, for the most part. For some reason I am not getting any output from the rear channel, so I only have 5.0 instead of 6.0 in this mode. Haven't figured out what's up with that yet, either.

lyd
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do lossless or more than 2-channel LPCM over SPDIF or Toslink. It doesn't have enough bandwidth. You need to use HDMI (which as far as I know isn't available on HTPCs).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can do it on analog outs....at least, that's my impression.

Ben
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:

Ben

Yes of course. If your computer/sound card has the DACs and the analog outputs and the software, you can do it.

I figured he wanted to use SPDIF since that's what the subject line was about.....

Kal

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
You can't do lossless or more than 2-channel LPCM over SPDIF or Toslink. It doesn't have enough bandwidth. You need to use HDMI (which as far as I know isn't available on HTPCs).

Kal

Yes, I'm completely clear on this. I'm trying to use powerDVD's (supposed) feature that mixes down TrueHD or LPCM to DTS. And failing.

lyd
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
benareeno wrote:

Ben

Yes of course. If your computer/sound card has the DACs and the analog outputs and the software, you can do it.

I figured he wanted to use SPDIF since that's what the subject line was about.....

Kal

This was plan B, and it is working, but I'm not getting anything on the rear channel. LRC and Surrounds are fine.

I am not sure yet if this is an issue with output from PDVD or something to do with the audio chipset.

I only care about this for the few titles that don't have a compressed surround track to use. I'm perfectly content with DD+ or DTS-whatever passed through bit for bit to my processor for everything else. I just don't want to get stuck with 2 channel on those titles with no other option.

lyd
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ... didn't know that downmixing like that was an option on PowerDVD. I have to hand it to them however... I used the app for years and they're definitely consistently on the bleeding cusp of DVD playback technology (even though I didn't agree with some of the technologies they offered like their intelligent pan & scan/image compression thingy).

Kal

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Interesting ... didn't know that downmixing like that was an option on PowerDVD. I have to hand it to them however... I used the app for years and they're definitely consistently on the bleeding cusp of DVD playback technology (even though I didn't agree with some of the technologies they offered like their intelligent pan & scan/image compression thingy).

Kal

Well... there is a a checkable option to downmix, and a sub-option of dts or dd. It is right there on the main audio tab.

Neither works for me, though, which was the original topic of this thread.

lyd
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
(even though I didn't agree with some of the technologies they offered like their intelligent pan & scan/image compression thingy).

Kal

Yes, that was funky and CLEV...what the hell was that?

The Ultimate HTPC will be when Andrew as an HD Version of TheaterTek.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: PDVD should be playing "hidden" DD 5.1 track, but Reply with quote

Well, here's a wrinkle. While trying to look into this further, I've come to understand that BD titles with only TrueHD actually have a second track of standard DD 5.1 that it not selectable from the menu, but should play automatically when the environment does not support TrueHD.

PDVD is not doing this, and there is no obvious option to force it.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? More importantly, does anyone know how to resolve it?

lyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: