Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

"For Sale" section leechers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: "For Sale" section leechers. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Should it be OK for a poster to ONLY come here to sell ?

Wouldn't it benefit the site to require posters have a minimum number of posts NOT in the "For Sale" section before they were allowed to post "For Sale" ads ?

This suggestion was prompted by a peruse of the "For Sale" section where I noticed a poster had ONLY posted "For Sale" articles and NOTHING else. Seemed kind of crass to me...

Doesn't inspire confidence, IMHO, and has the appearance of someone taking advantage of the site to sell to a captive crowd for free. ... could even be interpreted as potentially harmful to the provider of this site ....
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a term for that it is "USER".
View user's photo album (24 photos)
outwest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the sentiments expressed in the previous posts and my first reaction is to agree. On the other hand I can see that someone might have some items for sale and not be interested in nor have the time to "join" the community. I t could be argued that it is a plus to have the items offered here rather than on some other site. If the seller posts and then disappears, is any harm done? Perhaps if the seller makes contact with some of the members here and is treated with courtesy, he or she may come back to enjoy the interaction.

I'll be the first to admit that I do not understand the dynamics nor the economics of running a forum like this, but it would seem that the life blood is traffic. I guess the ultimate consideration is at what point these listings do damage to Curt. He and Kal have put together a terrific gathering place and it is a valuable resource, but it must help and not hinder Curt's bottom line.
oliverg

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few lurkers remember. They might be around reading for years but never post until they have a need.

I was one of those people. Then I left a single message and damn you Curt and Kal, there goes all my spare time!!!

Smile

papalek

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have some valid points.
View user's photo album (24 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have an issue with it. heck, who knows, one day a lurker might post something that I need..Very Happy
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any problems with someone posting only in the for sale section. As long as they follow the sales rules, who cares?

If they're a complete unknown then it's buyer beware even more than usual.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: