Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

800x600 vs 1280x720 image quality difference

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsvt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: 800x600 vs 1280x720 image quality difference Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Dell 1200MP. Not great by all means, but works well with my HD Fury. Its native rez is 800 x 600. In Hi Def at 720p projected at 73 inches (6ft) onto my wardrobe door (space is small) I have a diagonal image of 50 inches. I have the chance to pickup a Mitsubishi HC1500 1280x720 native DLP, for a decent price. Before I commit to the purchase will I see much of a difference in picture quality at this size and distance? BTW from a really good HD source (Pirates/Resident evil/5th element) the picture quality is really good from teh Dell 1200MP. There is screen door effect, but its not that bad, and the rainbow effect I have gooten used to and hardly notice, I am wondering if there will be any benefit?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I went through this for you in one of your other threads, but I guess I was comparing to XGA...

With the 1200MP, when you watch widescreen material, you're really watching an 800x450 portion of the panel. You don't even have enough resolution to display the full 480p from an SD DVD. You're not really even watching "ED" let alone any sort of HD.

Now, compare that to 720p. Essentially, you have 2.5 times more pixels. 2.5!!! 1280x720 is almost a megapixel, and 800x450 is only 360k pixels. SD will probably barely look better, but HD (especially HD-DVD or BD) should look significantly noticeably better - especially if you like to sit closer to the screen - say less than 1.5-2.0 screen widths.

Beyond resolution, screen door and pixels will be reduced - should be a much nicer, higher-quality image. If you can get it for a good price, go for it. The difference with HD will be worth it.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a decent price? Is this for new, used? I'm guessing well under $1K.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did get it and all I can say is wow. The 16:9 factor alone. Then there is the detail in dark areas, on the older PJ very black especially on very dark scenes, on this one all the detail is there. Didn't realize how much I was not seeing.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail in dark scenes, huh? And on a digital, too, you say? Hmm, and you compared this to detail observed on a CRT?

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually considered the HC1500 for my small theater room. It's a nice projector, and has 2500:1 contrast native (not an auto-iris). Unfortunately I couldn't get a demo of one so I'm holding off for now. Do you get any rainbow effect? DLP's can bug me some time with that.

It's not as nice contrast wise as CRT, but at 1600 lumens and only $800 at amazon right now, it looks like a nice auxiliary or gaming projector.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Detail in dark scenes, huh? And on a digital, too, you say? Hmm, and you compared this to detail observed on a CRT?

Actually, many digitals are capable of more shadow detail that even a gamma modified CRT. All the blacks are gray is the problem, but the low level details can be there.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dculberson wrote:
Unfortunately I couldn't get a demo of one so I'm holding off for now. Do you get any rainbow effect? DLP's can bug me some time with that.

If you are prone to them, then yes. It only has a 4x color wheel. Matt switched from his Quee to a HC3000U to get better shadow detail and he has it very well set up. He does not see RBE much on it. I can't watch his for more than 5 minutes without see one--even when I'm not trying.

dculberson wrote:
It's not as nice contrast wise as CRT, but at 1600 lumens and only $800 at amazon right now, it looks like a nice auxiliary or gaming projector.

Calibrated is is much much less that that in brightness. Also, for $800-900 now on the used market, you can get some much much better 720p DLPs than these. Ones that have higher CRs and/or are more detailed.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
fidel3947

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Runco Vx101c Reply with quote

In the same topic of 600X800- I have a Runco VX101c along with a HDfury and a Toshiba A3 HD player- What would be the highest resolution I can achieve with what I have? of course the max :?: native resolution on the Runco is 600X800[quote][url][/url][/quote]
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Runco Vx101c Reply with quote

fidel3947 wrote:
In the same topic of 600X800- I have a Runco VX101c along with a HDfury and a Toshiba A3 HD player- What would be the highest resolution I can achieve with what I have? of course the max Question native resolution on the Runco is 600X800
Quote:
[url][/url]

If the native rez of the display is 800x600 then that's the max rez you can display.

You may be able to feed the projector higher resolutions (check the manual) but everything will be converted to 800x600 since that's the number of physical pixels you have. There's no way around that.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
fidel3947

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: 800X600 Reply with quote

Well- thanks for the reply- anyone want to buy a Runco?- seems I need to get a higher resolution Projector- Is the image that great on a projector at 1080p?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution is only one factor that determines picture quality and ironically it's one of the least important. You also need:

- accurate colours
- Good contrast ratio
- a bright picture

Within reason all of these are more important than resolution.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Resolution is only one factor that determines picture quality and ironically it's one of the least important. You also need:

- accurate colours
- Good contrast ratio
- a bright picture

Within reason all of these are more important than resolution.

Kal

A traffic light will get you two out of four... Wink

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: