Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

All about lenses (specs/datasheets/pictures/etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yes, i know that Terry.

But HD-215 lens should fit to a Barco 808s LC without changing the LC elements, right ?

ElTopo
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does expanded phosphor usage effect lens parameters. I'm thinking it increases screen size range on the upper limit of the lens. Is that right? If I'm right has anyone seen or figured out what the new upper limit is for screen size for these lenses.

Take the GT-17, it's best for 100-140" diagonal, say you use 10% more width on the phosphor, without changing the throw distance you should now have a best diagonal screen range of 100-154".

Now to make it more confusing, has anyone figured out what the lens parameters should be for using expanded phosphor and shorter throw distances?

Deron.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

I found a clue that may help. The lenses have magnification ranges. GT17 is 21-30X. So take your screens diagonal divided by phosphor usage diagonal, that will give you the magnification.

Anyone know what the usable diagonal size of a 10PG tube is? Kinda hard to measure with the C-element there.

Deron.
mack1

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll guess 7"--7.25"
View user's photo album (3 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, are the C elements maried to the lenses in every case? I always see post's about people swaping lenses on LC projectors.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Are there any lenses that are drop-in replacements to the HD-215? With the same short throw? He's right that the center is sharp but the edges are not nearly as sharp. Not really a problem with movie content but you notice it with, say, a Windows desktop.

My Zenith 1200 (Barco Cine 8 Onyx) has HD-215s.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Chuchuf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Terry, are the C elements maried to the lenses in every case? I always see post's about people swaping lenses on LC projectors.

No the lens's and CElements are not married as a set per se. In other words you can take different lens's from the same type projector and use them.
Or for instance there are a whole series of HD10 lens's that can be used with the same 9" CElements. ie HD10F's from 1292 or G90, HD10's, HD10L's, HD10 GT17, HD10 120, HD10 180 and so on.

On the 8" LC machines, the lens's and CElements used on the XG/LC and G70 are the same and interchangable.

Terry
Chuchuf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Terry,

Are there any lenses that are drop-in replacements to the HD-215? With the same short throw? He's right that the center is sharp but the edges are not nearly as sharp. Not really a problem with movie content but you notice it with, say, a Windows desktop.

Kal

Kal,

I don't know......sorry.

Terry
Chuchuf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Yes, i know that Terry.

But HD-215 lens should fit to a Barco 808s LC without changing the LC elements, right ?

ElTopo

Don't know as the only 808LC's I am familiar with are Retros or the ones that we built that used G70 CElements and lens's.

Terry
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Terry,

Kal

I believe the HD-117-24 can be used and are good for for screens over 100". I don't know how they compare in throw distance to HD-215's. The Barco LC hardware I had came with HD-117-12 lenses and my HD-215's fit perfectly. Sony G70 c-elements seem to be identical to the Barco c-elements.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optional lenses
HD117-12:
Screen width from 2.0 ft./0.6 m up to 5.0 ft./1.53 m

HD117-24:
Screen width from 5.0 ft./1.53 m up to 22.3 ft./6.8 m

HRQ 804:
Screen width from 4.6 ft./1.4 m up to 19.6 ft./6 m
radius: 9.8-16.4 ft./3-5m
joerg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I tryed using HD215 with a Brco 808LC Retrounit and they don't work with the C-Elements!!! Exclamation
See http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3842&highlight=
HD 117 are fine I use the HD117-24 and they are perfect for my 2,1m screenwidth.

Joerg

View user's photo album (6 photos)
joerg

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose
is right mechanical the HD215 and the HD117 are exchangable but it is not posible to get a sharp picture.

Joerg

View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks guys.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know.

Went back to the HD-117-12 lens and doing a 16/9 110 inch screen width (about 2,8m) with my BG 808s LC.

This lens is listed with a max. SW of 1,53m but i can get a full sharp corner and edge focus with my width !

Picture is supersharp with the P16 tubes.

ElTopo
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Here is something very interesting when using expanded phosphor areas.

For years I could not figure out how to get my linearity correct, I figured it had something to do with phase or some component on one of my boards. Well all this talk about lenses has me messing with mine, trying the three different sets I have to see what they will do. I'm running the GT26's, they are best for my screen size, I tried the GT17's and the 300's out of a Barco.

When I started to mess with the different lenses I used a convergence pattern instead of a focus pattern and I had left the green and red on at the same time. I found out real quick that adjusting the corner focus was changing my convergence. This would effect the linearity on the sides to about a quarter of the way in, Woe, this should not be happening. Well at least I'm pretty sure I have figured out why I can not get my linearity perfect. I'm going to do some adjusting and testing of my GT26's to see if I can get this problem fixed.

Some other things I discovered.

1) The center focus was better on some lenses. I was always having a problem with the red (while using the GT26's) getting the center focused, I could get either focused dots with some flare or not as focused dots without flare. This seems to be a problem with quality control. I'm guessing this lens was not assembled correctly.

2) The GT26's seemed to have a wider range of focus at the corners on my screen, not sure how the size of the screen (159" diagonal) will effect this, but I'm a little over the upper limit for the GT17's and at the lower limit of the GT26's. When I put the GT17's on the corner focus had to be closer to perfect to get best focus, as the 26's gave me a range of corner focus to work with.

3) The 300's seemed to work OK, maybe a little softer.

Deron.
pfloydphanatic

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats a lot of great info on lenses... its a little late right now but that will deff be helpful when i upgrade to hd145 lenses from my hd6.. i'm a noob but i was told thats a nice upgrade for a Electrohome ECP 4100?
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lenses are not created equal.

Of the three GT26's I have, I picked the best for center focus and put it on the green, the other two lenses were about equal for center focus.

When I adjusted corner focus it would change my linearity, to help correct the problems I was having with linearity, I tried rotating the lenses on the tubes. I just unscrewed them and turned them 90 degrees and screwed them back on. This seemed to be better then the original orientation. I also swapped the two lenses that I was using for the blue and red to get the reds convergence as close as possible to the greens.

Right now I have the best convergence I have ever had, did not realize that I could use the lenses to help achieve this.

Just when you have thought you have tweaked that CRT the best you can, you find something else you can mess with Idea

Deron.
pfloydphanatic

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just when you have thought you have tweaked that CRT the best you can, you find something else you can mess with Idea

so true lol
gcom007

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still digging and I have some idea, but if someone can easily tell me what lens options I have on LC PT18's, I'd appreciate it!

Barco 1208s/e
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12
Jump to: