Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Theatre seating for 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Theatre seating for 4 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
On her way out my cat pissed all over my blue sectional. No one can get the smell out so I'm going to trash it and put in new seating in my family-room downstairs. I am drawn to the 4 big-ass recliners side by side with cup-holders setup. Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced place to buy them online?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Theatre seating for 4 Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced place to buy them online?

Good luck. The term 'Home Theater' is slapped on anything and everything related to video entertainment so a plain old recliner is now Theater Seating because it has a cup holder. I ended up buying a couple no-name theater recliners that are 'nice' but lumbar region support isn't adequate for my poor ole back.
On the plus side, under the left armrest is a thermoelectric cooler that'll hold about 6 cans. Under the right armrest is a hokey little telephone, 2 switches to control the butt and lumbar massagers, and a smallllllllllll recessed area for a credit card thick remote, or a pack of gum. Rolling Eyes

I paid about $200 ea for them and other than having to open the armrests to get to a cup holder (recessed depth ~1/4"...useless) they're way better than what we had. There's a low coffee table between the chairs anyway so I could care less about a cup holder.
I just can't justify spending $3-5K for two rows of seating given the low hours spent in the HT. The thing that sucks is I've noticed the price of regular recliners has shot up since the term 'Home Theater' became mainstream so that's not much of a value added direction to go in either. It all depends on your disposable income I suppose.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, don't buy Lazy-Boy. I paid $1000.00 bucks for a big recliner. It had the heating and back massaging options. Back massaging thingy broke after 2 years. The heat broke about 5 months later. The chair is make like crap!

The old, old Lazy-Boy that I had for like 8 years was make like a brick sh*t house. The only reason I threw it out was the leather ripped. If I could do it over, I would have had the leather recliner re-upholstered...

wallace

Bucketfoot

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with both Serge (Home Theater Authority) and Roman (Ultimate Home Entertainment) who frequent the home theater areas over at AVS Forum.

Serge specializes in both Berkline and Coster (he currently has a Coaster powerbuy going on), while Roman focuses more on Berkline.

Powerbuy link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949031

The Coaster are great if you are not looking for a lot of bells & whistles or a variety of colors. I went with Berkines, as I needed a narrower seat and wanted things like power recline.

If going with the Berks, I would get quotes from both guys, as the best deal depended on the exact configuration I went with.

Home Theater Authority - http://www.htauthority.com/
Ultimate Home Entertainment - http://www.rtheaters.com/
paw

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to test sit whatever you're going to buy. I don't like Berklines. They push on the backs of my knees and it bugs after a while. Other folks love Berklines
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is going to have a sell on Berklines. Leather seating surface, vinyl back. I think around $1200 for a set of 3. PM me if you want the coupons.
AvgOrdinaryGuy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered six recliners in November from http://www.interiorexpress.com/, they had a deal with free shipping that was an AVS special deal. I think there is another free shipping deal going on there now.
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards the "4 big-ass recliners side by side with cup-holders setup" also, but I plan to set them up so there are two sections of two chairs, with a smallish home-made table between the two central ones with drawers to hold game controllers, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Canadian store to check out? I'm about 100 km away from Toronto and I have a half ton so I'd likely do pick-up to eliminate the freight cost.

Thanks!

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
NewbieDAN

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get anything that comes up behind your ears, as you'll spoil your rear channel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Dan....thanks!

BTW, if anyone in southern Ontario is in a similar situation, I can offer this link:

http://www.intandemcanada.com/itoolkit.asp?pg=products&grp=11

Chuck

MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a company called True Seating Concepts that makes swivel chair recliners. The black ones on the right in the below picture aren't real leather, but the material isn't too cheap, like I've seen on other entry-level swivel chair recliners. Those actually have a built-in massager, which I choose not to have hooked up because I think having wires hang out of them looks strange. They came with ottomans as well, like what's pictured on the brown swivel chair in the left. The brown swivel chair on the left uses the same frame as the others, only it's real leather! I got it from some girl who didn't want it anymore. It was still in it's box and at $50 it was a steal! I looked everywhere for another one exactly like it but didn't find anything. Anyway, the black chairs in the pic were $90 each at OfficeMax! I actually ended up paying $110 I think for a service plan on them. I figured what the heck. They were a pain to put together though. The main support pole doesn't fit into the frame and needed to be filed down! That was some sweat work! I think they painted part of that pole that they shouldn't have. Though adding 2 comfortable seats for $200? Great deal!

I get the impression that you're looking for something higher-end than swivel chairs, though figured I'd share this find with others looking for cheap seating that looks nice and is also comfortable. I guess the only problems with them are that they aren't as stable as regular recliner and they can be tricky for the motor-challenged to get into with the ottoman in place.

[/img]
scoobydoo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey chuck
I went to that website but now sure if ITC is a distributor/wholesaler. do they sell to the public?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question. I assumed they did but I just called them and they are, in fact, a distributor without a retail license so the answer is that they do not sell to John Q. The very pleasant and helpful lady on the phone gave me the contact info for their Ontario Sales Manager so I'll dash him off an e-mail and find out if and where they have a retailer.

She did say that they have a showroom with some Fortress seating in it, so I'd likely go there even just to check out the chairs and make sure they fit my ass before I talk to a retailer. Guelph is only a 45 minute drive for me and given the local geography, I'll bet credits to Navy beans that they're closer than whoever is their authorized retailer for my area!

Chuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: