Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Home Theater update

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWJ

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Home Theater update Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Greetings to all

I am new to this forum but I have been a Home Theater aficionado for some years.

About 7 years ago I put together a Home Theater system for our family.

We had to call for assistance with the initial convergence settings when we first put it up in about 1999 and have had no service calls since then. The system has been bullet proof and is bug free.

We have enjoyed it for years with little or no hassles or headaches. It is mainly used for TV sports and the occasional DVD movie or HD TV program / movie.

About once a year, I haul out the manual and check the focus and convergence, other than that we just turn it on and off. It has never been serviced by a tech since it went up on the ceiling years ago.

I am curious about some of the new standards for DVD and I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make some upgrades and changes.

Here is what we have had since 1999:
VIDEO SIDE:

SCREEN: Vidikron Tab Tensioned Power Drop 100” 16 X 9 aspect ratio
CRT PROJECTOR: Sony VPH 1272Q with 5 cable RGB (BNC) input from Video Scaler
VIDEO SCALER: Crystal Image (CI) VS 2.0 Video Scaler Controller (Inputs: VGA, component, S-VHS, Composite. output: RGB)
HDTV SET TOP BOX: Rogers Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD (Coaxial audio out, Component video out converted thru Scientific Atlanta breakout box to 15 pin VGA for CI backplane VGA input)
DVD: Yamaha DVD- S795 (Coaxial audio out, Component video out to CI backplane component input)

AUDIO SIDE:
TUNER AMP Yamaha RX-V995 (Dolby 5:1 & DTS)
SPEAKER SYSTEM Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II Home Theater speaker system (5 pair of Cube speakers)

Over all we are happy, on the other hand, we are curious about what we could do to take advantage of the new DVD formats (Blue Ray & HD DVD).

What would be the most effective investments for us as far as upgrades are concerned & in what order should I do them?

Should I consider investing in either a Blue Ray or HD DVD unit?

If I do that; to get the full benefit of the HD DVD format, will I need to invest in a card like a Sony DVI/HDMI (HDCP) IFB Input Card (Model: IFB-DVI-V2) or other similar digital input gadget (HD Fury) for the 1272Q projector? Presumably this might require us to replace or add to the cabling from the Video Scaler to the projector, though the projector could manage both the existing 5 cable RGB and the newer HD DVD input with the right choice of card or gadget?

Should I consider a new HD TV set top box that has DVI-D output or HDMI to get away from the Scientific Atlanta breakout box? How would I pair this up with the output from a new DVD player to get the best video signal to the projector from the new DVD and the new HD TV set top box?

Should we consider replacing the Video Scaler because it lacks DVI & HDMI capabilities? Up until now it has done a great job of switching video signals. It is also very useful for adjusting screen formats & aspect ratios.

At the backplane of the projector; how does the RGB video signal from backplane of the CI Scaler compare with the DVI or HDMI signal that would be the resultant input from a card like the IFB-DVI-V2?

Do we go with an HDMI or DVI-D cable to the projector directly bypassing the CI Scaler? It would have to be about 12 meters long?

What happens with the audio in these new formats, presumably, I can still stick with my old RX-V995 tuner amp if the new HD DVD player and cable TV set top boxes still have coaxial audio outputs?

Can any of you recommend someone in Toronto that I can call for a tune up / check up on the 1272Q projector?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a few options.

You could add a second input card to your projector and attach an HD-Fury to it if you only intended to have one HD player or better yet you could get the Moome dual HDMI input card and then you would be able to input two HDMI sources. You could select RGB 'B' on your current remote. Of course depending on your setup you may have to run two HDMI cables this way. Not to practical.

You could run a single cable into a Moome card and put an HDMI switcher at the head end where your equipment rack it.
Or for an HD-Fury.....
You currently have the Rogers Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD connected to the VGA input on your scaler correct? You could connect the 3100HD box via component ( does your scaller accept HD componet signal? ) and use the VGA port to connect an HD-Fury.

Then add an HDMI switcher with a HDMI to DVI cable and use your current RGBHV cable to carry the signal to your projector. This way you could add HD-DVD, and Bluray to your system. You could even get a different cable box that outputs HDMI/DVI and connect it to the switcher too. I remember reading somewhere that the DVI/HDMI output's on some of the cable boxes had a less than great image, so do some research on that one before you decide to change.

What did you need done to your super reliable Sony?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
KWJ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Thank-You Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I focused and converged the 1272 the other day, it seems pretty tight now.

I thought that after 6-7 years that I should have it looked at by someone more competent than me.

I would love to speak with you about your suggestions for changing my projector inputs.

My cell 416 570-4957.

Ken

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling you right now...

Jeremy

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the lens cleaning solution for cleaning the lenses.

http://www.curtpalme.com/Lens_Cleaning.shtm

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: