Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Digital as a secondary idea.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Digital as a secondary idea..... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am toying with the idea of adding a digital to my theatre. I want it to

1.) take away some of the unnecessary hours on my PJ and
2.) be a second display that can be turned 90 degrees from my current screen location for occasional networked gaming

I can't find any good information on the digitals. I've been on this forum for a year now, and I've become spoiled by it. When I was researching my CRT PJ, this website was great in helping me determine whether or not it was worth the gamble on ebay. I can't find a digital equivalent and probably won't.

I want to find a bargain, but I'm willing to buy new. Maybe some of the CRT guys have a digital for some reason or another. I'd like some your opinions. Thanks!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you want to spend? There are SO many options. Lots of stuff for under $500 - even nice stuff that was a couple grand just a few years ago. Some even come with spare bulbs. Some are pretty cheap and much less than $500, but with the unknown of how long it will be before you'll have to cough up $2-300 for a new bulb.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready to spend ~$500 for new if it can do at least 720P native. Picture will be no bigger than my current screen size (84" 16:9). It doesn't have to be bright, i have absolute darkness in the theatre. I'd like it to be native 16:9. I don't know whether to be looking at DLP, LCD, or the other options. Local stores (BB, CC) only have 2 per store set up and they are the ~$3,000 sony's Thumbs Down
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're going to find a new 720p digital for $500 - not anything that wouldn't suck ass, anyway. We're talking major disposable junk at that price point. The bulb would literally cost more than half that to replace. It would basically be worth nothing once the bulb died. There's some decent 720p projectors for $800-900 now, but not at ~$500. $500 is barely getting you a throw-away corporate XGA projector at new prices. $500 would get you a decent used machine, though.

I hate the older/lower-end DLP machines, and anything LCoS in your price range won't be native widescreen. That doesn't leave much. Something like a used Sony HS20 - that wouldn't be a bad machine for your price range. That was one of their early widescreen LCD models - popular about 3 years ago - just before they started pushing SXRD (LCoS) at the high-end.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
scdg124

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not stuck at the $500, but it would be nice to find something to fit my needs at that price, new or used. I guess what I'm really trying to find out is what's the best bang for my buck. Like with my last car, I was looking at a 96 Cobra Mustang but right next to it was a brand new 98 V-6 Mustang and for quite a bit less. I bought the new 98 over the 96 Cobra because of the savings. But if the Coba had been just a few thousand less, I would have jumped all over it. What I would love to find is a chart like Curt's; listing the digital projectors worth having in the Best/Worse fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: