Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HD AX1 HD DVD to Ben Q projector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: HD AX1 HD DVD to Ben Q projector Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,
I am wondering if I would be able to pass an HDMI signal from my HD -AX1 through the HD Fury and out as vga -then with the help of a vga to component cable, pass this signal through my Pioneer receiver and ultimately send a signal to my Ben Q projector (PB 6100) as I currently do now with component (output from receiver) to VGA cable (input on projector) (1080i is received this way and perfectly).
Currently, I am using component signal from the HD DVD player through the receiver and out to my projector but I would like the benefit of stripping the protected content through the HD Fury. Do you believe this is feasable? If so, then I think I would receive the video but remain using the optical for audio - please confirm.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That signal path sounds like a mess. The PB6100 doesn't have HDMI in, so you'll have to use some kind of analog signal, but I would try to simplify it.

The PB6100 manual (found here) is not clear about exactly what inputs the thing has. It appears it may have both component inputs and a D-sub15 (VGA) connector, and presumably it accepts RGB in the VGA connector??

The simplest thing would be to just use the component-outs on the XA1 and feed them directly to component inputs of the projector, as you do now. (Except I'd avoid all the extra connections unless you really need to switch it with your receiver.) You wouldn't need a Fury or anything else but a set of component cables. As far as I know, component will handle 1080i and probably 1080p just fine, though the XA1 may limit component-out of upscaled SD DVDs to a lower res?

If you think the component transcoder in the XA1 is inferior, then you could use the Fury to feed RGB into the VGA port. As you say, the Fury does have the added benefit of stripping HDCP, which could conceivably be an issue with your non-HDMI projector.
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have basically confirmed to me that the upscaling of standard DVD material is being limited by the non HDMI ability of my projector (I presumed this but was not knowledgeable enough to confirm) -
This in particular bothers me because I am not utilizing the equipment to it's potential but other than this the quality is breathtaking on the screen when playing HD DVD's and HD TV.

Thanks for all of your input.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even if the XA1 limits the SD upscaled signal (I don't know if it does), your BenQ probably has an onboard scaler that scales signals to the native panel resolution. So you might not be losing much even with your SD DVDs. It might even be a bit better if it means you avoid the DVD-to-1080p scaling in the XA1, and then the 1080p-to-800x600 native resolution in the PB6100.
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this projector have a digital input? If it does, is it DVI? If so, than an alternative would be to find a device like the Dtronics DD-D12 Distribution Amplifier. This DA accepts DVI in and outputs DVI, stripping HDCP along the way. You will need an HDMI-to-DVI cable into the DD-D12, then a DVI-to-DVI cable to the projector. This will maintain the video in its digital form for the highest quality for your situation.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No digital. Only SD, VGA and component (via VGA connector).

Here's the deal. There really no reason at all at this point in time to go to all the trouble and expense ($300+) of adding both the HDFury and a reverse transcoder (to convert the HD Fury's RGB output to component - a cable won't do that).

First of all, that BenQ projector is SVGA - 800x600. At any widescreen resolution (1080i, 720p - even 480p), you're using a portion of the panel equal to around 800x450. No matter what widescreen resolution you feed it, your vertical resolution will be less than 480p. Period.

Next most important, the XA1 doesn't currently limit HD content in any way over component - because no HD-DVD's have the ICT (image constrain token) set, yet. The only thing you'll gain by adding the HD Fury and not using the component output is upscaling of DVD to 720p or 1080i. It makes no sense to scale SD DVD up to 720p or 1080i though, because the BenQ then has to scale it back down to the active panel area (and de-interlace it first if it's 1080i). I can't think of any reason not to just use component, and there's no DRM-related reason at this point to try to use the HD Fury.

Just feed the XA1's component into the receiver, compare 480p, 720p and 1080i, pick the best one and then be done with it until you have a higher-resolution projector.

One other note, though... Be sure you compare the picture quality with the Pioneer receiver in and out of the signal path. AV receivers have notoriously crappy signal paths for higher-bandwidth signals.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I appreciate all of the valuable input - noted.

Thanks
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Jenkins. Have you considered comming to the dark side? CRT's have stunnnnning picture quality.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good point. My lowly old Sony 1271 absolutely SMOKES digitals costing several times what I paid for it. I wouldn't take an under-$2000 digital in direct trade for my 1271 (that isn't worth even $500 on the best day)... That is, unless I was allowed to then re-sell the digital and buy another CRT with it.

Smile

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger foot print of the CRT units are the only thing that might prvent me from an upgrade but all in all I am happy with the Dlp projector I have for now. My theater dimensions are approximately 19' x 12.5' with 8ft. ceilings.

HOME THEATER 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.19 KB
 Viewed:  8394 Time(s)

HOME THEATER 002.jpg

HOME THEATER 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.92 KB

HOME THEATER 001.jpg

HOME THEATER 004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.82 KB

HOME THEATER 004.jpg

HOME THEATER 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.2 KB

HOME THEATER 003.jpg

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly fit a CRT into that room. My HT is about 13x14 with a 7'9" ceiling, and I've had an XG, a G70, and an 8500 hung in there. All of which are good-sized projectors. The projector is certainly noticeable Smile but so is the picture quality.

But if you're happy with your DLP, it is definitely a lot easier.
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would be open to the larger unit I would also be up to the daunting task of qualifying for the WAF (WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR). Since the smaller unit and the retractable screen are part of the system it isn't as "in your face" and therefore less arbitrary to my better half -Hey, marriage is about concessions sometimes.....
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I wanted to let you know - I tried the HD FURY and it worked well but the VGA wasn't capable of the 1080i through the projector.
Sold it on EBAY at no loss and bought the FC4 HDMI to Component - it is amazing to say the least. A complete cure for my problem with no evident signal loss and I now have the upscaling capability for SD DVD. Mission accomplished.
Thanks for all of your insight along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: