Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

It's Ruby time!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
THe ND filter was used just to cut the light down in that ultra black room. I believe in a more typical HT room with some ambient light, you wouldn't use a filter to cut teh light down, but in Darin's room, a candle would seem blinding..Smile

What's a CC filter?
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color corrective
CaspianM

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I did not know that ruby is about 80lbs!!
It seems in all cases that digital pj's can be summed up as "good, bad and the ugly" and no exception with this Sony. Nice write up Curt.
EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to sound harsh. As all hardware reviews there are compromises and ruby is not excempt. So it boils down to price. If it was priced.....
r.bauer

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Granted, I've probably spent more hours watching test patterns than most here, but actual critical viewing and playing with test patterns other than focus and convergence, not much time really.

Well Curt, you should give it a serious attempt. Do the ultimate setup on your 9500 and calibrate it. After that, really watch something on it, a movie, some HDTV, whatever. Just learn to enjoy your perfect setup.
It took me months/years to just watch a movie, and not to look for possible improvements in the image.

Curt Palme wrote:

But the bottom line is, you can tweak like crazy or bitch about crushed whites or blacks (I didn't see either in the Ruby) and tweak every 2 hours to compensate for something, and that's all well and good, but it defeats the purpose of the HT system.. to watch it."

Totally agree with you. The days of continuous improving my set are behind me. I know now my set is perfect and can really enjoy it now.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, as critical as I can be to ensure the proper operation of a set, I don't watch for flaws when I watch my own. Darin's Ruby misconvergence bothered me, and I personally wouldn't put up with it at any price that I'd pay for a set like that, but crushed whites or blacks unless they were REALLY apparent I could put up with.

I remember in the winter of 2000 I got a really bad case of the flu for (what I didn't realize was going to be) 3 weeks.

I had about 20 projectors lying around, and couldn't find the strength to lift a Barco 800 to the coffee table, I simply couldn't do it.

So I put a Sony 1031 on the table with all of my energy and ended up watching composite video for the whole time that I was sick.

Of course I would have preferred the BG 800 with a line doubler on it, but there was no way I could lift it, so the 1031 was fine fine fine..Smile
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I think age brings crankiness. And since I wear presciption eyewear, I'm always correcting my head's orientation to the screen to insure the eyewear doesn't pull blue or push red out of convergence. Smile
ChrisWiggles
Opinionated SOB

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Currently, I think age brings crankiness. And since I wear presciption eyewear, I'm always correcting my head's orientation to the screen to insure the eyewear doesn't pull blue or push red out of convergence. Smile

Whew! I thought I was the only one! Very Happy
Mark_A_W

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

I've never had that problem with my glasses (mildly shortsighted).

Have you guys got Coke-bottle-bottom glasses? Wink
ChrisWiggles
Opinionated SOB

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty bad eyes without glasses, so they're plastic lenses (which makes it worse). Glass would be way too heavy for me.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_A_W wrote:
WanMan wrote:

I've never had that problem with my glasses (mildly shortsighted).

Have you guys got Coke-bottle-bottom glasses? Wink

Of course! And I've been where them since I was about five years old (first grade). Of course, in recent years my eyes have been getting better (its an age thing), but as long as I can run my computer monitors at 1600x1200 minimally then I'm happy.

I am amazed how people with good vision, though, have a serious time reading things on my monitors. They are blind, if you ask me.
Z-Photo

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha -

Still got 20-15 Smile

Although Clarence has some extremely impressive Coke Bottle (double-pounder). Shocked

The Only GOOD AMPRO - is a Dead AMPRO.
wait - are they not all DEAD already?
View user's photo album (16 photos)
jokeruh

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of those who dont follow the >3500 forum, according to the last measurements that I believe Darin posted, he was at 20,500:1 on/off with the ability to choose between 13ftl and up to 35ftl(if memory serves) using the largest of the high powers. That on/off measurement was with the contrast reduced to 70. By reducing the contrast, Ruby owners are able to reduce to a large degree, and sometimes fully eliminate brightness compression. When he bumped contrast to 80, he measured 30,000:1.

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure those measurements must have been conducted with some pretty impressive setup and measuring equipment to get figures on that order. Heck, at that range, considering the upper limit of brightness lumens, one couldn't even have an LED glaring in his room. Smile
jokeruh

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that he borrows a Photo Research Professional Grade photometer form his place of work. Maybe someone can chime in on the model number???? Whichever model it is.......it's calibrated regularly and highly accurate.

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that you guys with bad eyes cannot have your eyes worked on.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a drawback of having Lasik, you know. What good does it getting Lasik when you are left seeing halo's when dark scenes contain a twinkle of light? Its fine if I were using something that had terrible image quality to begin with (poor contrast, high black level, et al), but I do not need to worsen what I see.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am guessing that you guys with bad eyes cannot have your eyes worked on.

How about don't want to? There are downsides as WanMan pointed out. Also, my uncorrected vision is legally blind, but my corrected vision with contacts is 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. They consider a result worse than that quite acceptable for the results of surgery.

Lastly, we do not yet know the long term effects of this surgery. If 20th century medicine shows us anything, it is that things don't always work out like they think! We don't know if the eye can withstand the thinning of the lens long term. Current Lasik technique has only been around for 15 years. It could be that the lens can't stand this thinning long term and half of all people that had this surgery will be blind 30 years after having it.

All that said, it seems odd to me to do the surgery just to prevent the minor inconvenience of the 2 seconds it takes to put on glasses or the 45 seconds it takes to put on contacts.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Dave. I had one problem with a scratched contact ONCE about 2 years ago which was irritating as all hell as it scratched my cornea very slightly.

I've worn them for almost 20 years. I get 4 weeks out of 2 week disposables usually due to low protein buildup (except in the spring when I get 10 days out of them due to allergies).

WIth literally zero problems with contacts, I won't risk Lasik just in case I end up being a tiny percentage of people that get screwed up vision due to surgery. Besides I want to keep seeing rainbows on DLP so I never buy one..Smile
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my uncorrected vision is legally blind

Yeah, mine too. Enough to give me a 4-F status and keep me out of the military at the height of Vietnam. Red-green color blind too although I didn't know this until I took one of those tests using colored circles; it rarely intrudes on my daily life. It would be nice to go without glasses but as I've have them for 50 years, I'd feel naked without them. On occasion, they've been bumped from my face and then I'm in a real pickle; I can't see them and I'm afraid to move because I might step on them. Anyway, back when Lasik was relatively new, I was told that even if I had the surgery, I would still have to wear glasses. Maybe the technolgy has improved since then and now I could go completely without glasses, but I haven't cared to find out.

I wore contacts for a month. Drove me nuts and made my eyes sore so I said the heck with them and went back to glasses. Considering the hassle I see contact wearers put up with, I don't regret it one bit.

Opinionated SOB

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I'm sure those measurements must have been conducted with some pretty impressive setup and measuring equipment to get figures on that order. Heck, at that range, considering the upper limit of brightness lumens, one couldn't even have an LED glaring in his room. Smile

That's absolutely true you need a completely light controlled room.

What's even more interesting is that based on using filters and math (because you can't measure low enough to quantify CRT blacks) you'd be surprised just how high a CRT's on/off CR goes. Darin's conclusions are essentially that 20 or 30K:1 on/off are way lower than what some CRTers are seeing, which may be more on the order of 6-figures, depending on how black the user is choosing to calibrate to.

Anyway, his point is that 20,000:1 on/off CR is not as high as that number previously seemed to be, and CRTs are often setup to get a great deal more than that.

With his modded H79 which gets something like 10,000:1 static on/off CR and was dimmer than my G808, it was still a very significantly elevated black floor in comparison, and I keep my blacks up a little higher than I think some other CRTers might because of AC-ANSI limitations and I like my shadow details. It just goes to illustrate how large some of these on/off CR numbers are and how difficult it really is to achieve them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: