Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Help with PSI PD1000

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gharagozloo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Help with PSI PD1000 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My PD100 which is an upconverting computer based DVD player from PSI has just stopped working. They are out of business. Anyone know what to do or who can fix it? Thanks

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly how has it stopped working?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometrhing about windows operating system comes on the screen. It must have to do with the programing of the unit. Otherwise it has been perfect. Thanks.
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use it for? In other words, what do you feed through it to scale up?

Reason I ask is that it's old enough that a lot of on-board scalers these days are better and you may already have a better one without knowing it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you use it for? In other words, what do you feed through it to scale up?

The PD-1100 is a HTPC based dvd player. The MOVI M2000 is similar; in fact, the chassis of both are identical (for good reason). The idea of the PD-1100, as well as the M2000, was to build a complete, coordinated HTPC based dvd player that the user didn't have to monkey with to make work as you do with the normal HTPC. It used a stripped down version of Windows 2000. This was a product of Eric Lang and the now defunct PSI. At the time it was produced, it was considered a top performer. A downside is that it wouldn't do 1080i or 1080p.

The MOVI M2000 came with a setup disc specifically configured for your projector. I'm not quite certain how the PD-1100 did this, but did it come with a setup disc? Perhaps something was corrupted. Try reloading the disc. Other than that, I have no advice. I know Eric Lang has started to post again over on AVS but I can't recall his member id.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it to play DVD's connected by RGB to a Barco 808.
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering it's what, 6 years old?, I'd probably replace it with a hi def DVD player and a transcoder. Since this is a computer, a 6 year old computer, even if it's a DVD player, isn't really worth repairing. I'd think that a competent computer tech would be able to assis though.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point too. I replaced my 4-5 year old HTPC with a PS3 and the scaling is better and the PS3 is not known to be a great scaler of SD-DVD's to begin with. Toshiba's HD-DVD players are known to have very good scalers built in for SD-DVD. Given how CHEAP they are, it really doesn't make sense to fix something like a PD1000 or MOVI M2000.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Curt and Kal are right on. You could probably sell the PD-1100 "as-is for parts" on fleabay to somebody that thinks they just have to have one and are just sure they can fix it. You might event get a decent price. The case alone is probably worth some coin to an HTPC-er.

Then, if you wanted to go dirt cheap, you can get used Toshiba HD-A1's or HD-D1's for close to $100, now. New in box for close to $150 on fleabay. SD DVD scaling is most excellent...And they'll play HD-DVD's! Quieter, less heat, power consumption, etc. If you wanted to spend a little more, you could get a nice Toshiba HD-A35 (full 1080p - nice if you upgrade your projector) for about $350.

Or, if you wanted to go Blu-ray, for about $400 (or less) you could get a base PS3. If a game machine isn't your thing, for a little less, you could pick up the BDPS300.

The only thing you'd need is an HD Fury for HDMI to RGB.

So, for between $300 and $600, you could get newer/better SD scaling and upgrade your system to handle one of the new HD formats - and add an HDMI input to your 808 - all at the same time. I'd say it's a no-brainer!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: