Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HD-AX1 TRUE HD SOUND QUESTION

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: HD-AX1 TRUE HD SOUND QUESTION Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I don't want to sound ignorant but...
Do I need to connect through the analogue rca jacks out of the HD-AX1 to my receiver in order to get True HD?
Is this my only option to appreciate this format? I currently use the optical audio and when I choose the 2 channel option in settings there is an obvious difference. The player has been fully firmware updated. Another question is will there be a worth in the change?
I was always under the impression that the optical audio connection would be my best choice without having HDMI capability but I don't know if I am missing out on a better quality sound. I should also mention that currently the sound is beautiful through the optical connection. Please enlighten me.
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the XA1 can pass TrueHD via HDMI bitstream. Does your receiver support decoding TrueHD?

However, the XA1 can internally decode TrueHD and then you can listen to it via the rca outs. In my opinion the rca outs are of high quality and listening to TrueHD vs DD/DTS via optical is an worthwhile improvement. I use this method at the moment, and I'd rate the audio side of my HT as pretty high end

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Gino didn't mention in case it isn't clear... If your XA1 (my player, too) is connected to your surround receiver via optical/coaxial SPDIF, any high-resolution audio will be on-the-fly transcoded (decoded and re-encoded) to 1.5 mbps DTS. So, assuming you don't have an HDMI-based decoder with which to decode high-res audio (the best option), then the sound may be superior via the decoder and analog outputs on the XA1 as compared to the SPDIF route.

As to whether you'll be able to hear the difference between the two with your receiver/amp/speaker/room combo is a whole different issue. I'd just connected it up and listen to some discs you're familar with each way and see what you think.

I have mine connected that way a month or so ago, but in the little playing around I did, I had trouble getting the correct levels, so I gave up and went back to SPDIF and haven't had time to revisit the issue.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jenkins425

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again,
Not to be stupid..... Getting harder and harder not to do.
Using the analog outs to my receiver (the HD-AX1 2 channel output displayed for right an left front I suppose) and the remainder tie in normally to the rest of the analog surround jacks,center,sub etc.
Does this men I will be able to receive True HD from the front 2 speakers while receiving 5.1 (or react like it) from the remaining?
Thanks.
Gino

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XA1 doesn't do 7.1. You only connect up the 5.1 analog rca's to your receiver
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean when you say front 2 speakers, remaining 5.1. It's either 5.1 or it isn't.

In short, if you connect, all six analog connectors from the XA1's analog 5.1 output to your receiver's 5.1 analog input, then you will be able to hear TrueHD as intended. Depending on your receiver, you may not have all the control you have using the SPDIF input, but you will hear TrueHD.

Were I you, I would go ahead and do that, do some A/B comparisons with some TrueHD material and see if you can tell the difference between TrueHD via analog, and the transcoded DTS output, and see if you think it's worth keeping that way.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: