Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Will all these connections degrade my signal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendortb

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Will all these connections degrade my signal? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am thinking about hooking up my projector the way in the image. Does anyone think I will have any problems with image quality doing this? Do you think there will be any other problems?

Currently, I have everything (except the ps2) running to the projector instead of the switcher & vga splitter. I run resolutions of 720p and 1080i to the projector mostly.

If it looks ok, can anyone recommend a good vga splitter?
How about this one from monoprice?

The only things I would need to complete this setup would be the vga splitter and 2 rgbhv to vga cables.

WENDORTB.JPG
 Description:
Proposed Setup
 Filesize:  44.99 KB
 Viewed:  9990 Time(s)

WENDORTB.JPG

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's fine. Your limitation should still be the projector, the wiring should be fine.
dbaisey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might try the Extron DA's. They have high bandwidth and are solid good performers. Doug
wendortb

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Now I just need to take the time to redo all of my cables to hook it up.
dbaisey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On VGA you have some products the will only go to a certain spec resolution so you want to be sure they will support full resolution. Some of the older interfaces and converters will top VGA at about 600P and some of the others as low as 480P. VGA, SVGA, XGA etc. The Monoprice looks to be full res but I have never used it. I wouldn't rule it out at all. Doug
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four of the five sources can be digitally sent into a switcher and HDfurized to analog. In fact, why on earth do you have a PS2 in the pciture when you have a PS3?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I could use a digital switch, but don't really see a point for the expense right now. I have most of the analog equiptment already so I will go analog. If at some point I want to go digital, it will be pretty easy to change over.

I knew someone would ask about the ps2. The reason for the ps2 is so my g/f can play dance dance revolution on the computer monitor. The tv it is normally hooked up to doesn't have room on the floor for the mats, therefore I had to put it somewhere else whenever she wants to play ddr. The only place with enough room is the projector room. I will make her play it on the computer monitor so i don't have to put the hours on my projector.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not realize a $45 4x1 HDMI switcher and $5-7 HDMI, HDMI-DVI cables were expensive. Very Happy Oh, the fury I guess does start to get expensive--I guess.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful Wan, you're looking down your nose at wendortb for using Analog. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am? I thought I was seeking to absolve the potential loss and or interference of an analog signal prior to delivering it to the beauty of analog projection.

Ok, Wan is an HDfury snob. I admit it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have all the cables to hook everything up via analog (except hd-dvd which is hdmi/dvi), so it is cheaper to hook it up analog for now. We are getting into the christmas season and I already bought myself a ps3 so I can't spend too much more on myself. Sad I already thought about using a hdmi switch for all my sources, but I don't see much of a point right now.

When I want to change over to digital, It will be a matter of picking up the hdmi switcher and 3 hdmi cables. If I have any trouble with analog, I will go this route, but for now it won't hurt me to go analog.

Very Happy Unless that is you think digital looks better than analog. Very Happy

GO ANALOG!! Thumbs Up
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow's:

wendortb wrote:

Unless that is you think digital looks better than analog.

I dunno I think I'm pretty handsome. See my avatar Wink

'Though I've never met this 'digital' guy.

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendortb wrote:
I already have all the cables to hook everything up via analog (except hd-dvd which is hdmi/dvi), so it is cheaper to hook it up analog for now. We are getting into the christmas season and I already bought myself a ps3 so I can't spend too much more on myself. Sad I already thought about using a hdmi switch for all my sources, but I don't see much of a point right now.

When I want to change over to digital, It will be a matter of picking up the hdmi switcher and 3 hdmi cables. If I have any trouble with analog, I will go this route, but for now it won't hurt me to go analog.

Very Happy Unless that is you think digital looks better than analog. Very Happy

GO ANALOG!! Thumbs Up

I think analog projection looks better, but I think its silly to unnecessarily go through all of the DA-AD-DA-AD-DA-AD stroking just because you think everything potentially lost, modified, and otherwise made up in that process can be corrected for at the projector.

Maybe you can further forward the 'go analog' by not using digital sources, too. Evil or Very Mad

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Maybe you can further forward the 'go analog' by not using digital sources, too. Evil or Very Mad

Sure. Got any? I wish WVHS had taken off here like it did in Japan. We would have had 1080i since the early 90's in glorious analog. Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
wendortb

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried my setup without the vga splitter (ordered it but waiting on it) and everything looks great so far. Now when my cables from monoprice and the vga splitter come in I will be happy again. Very Happy (temporarily) Laughing

WanMan: I am just picking on you about the analog stuff. At some point in the future I will probably get an hdmi switcher and the cables, but I don't feel the expense, although not that large, would add much with my setup right now. The money would probably be better spent other places (like a new game for the ps3). Very Happy

Thanks for the help. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: