Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Removed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Removed.

Last edited by WanMan on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have 2GB 4-4-4-15 OcZ PC6400 for $75-30 MIR for a $45 final cost. This is one per customer.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two drives and the memory. Now my last-built PC has 2.5TB of disk space and 4GB of memory.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with those Maxtors. I know some people have had good luck, but I've had horrible luck w/them. My dad is one of those "buy sh*t with rebates all the time" types, and Maxtors seem to have rebates on them all the time at Staples. I don't even know how many of died. 3 or 4, I think. Meanwhile, I've had a dozen or more Barracudas in various computers, external drives and Tivos and haven't had a single failure. Probably the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Still, damn near a terabyte for $200 is simply amazing.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Maxtor drives had no rebate. $94.99+Tax out the door. Only the memory had a Fry's rebate. And considering the costs I do not think I am going to expect more than three years worth of coverage.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwww...maxtor.

Once you get burned by maxtor, you won't go back.

I had 160gb dissappear.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Maxtor that my old man brought over that he couldn't get to spin up in one of his external FireWire enclosures. I jacked with it for awhile in an external case to try to get it to spin up, and it just wouldn't happen.

Wondering if the PSU in the FireWire case didn't have enough oomph to spin it up or something, I took it downstairs and plugged it into the PSU in an old desktop machine. I hit the power button, and in a dramatic flash of light and a puff of dense white smoke, the electronics gods took it back. For a brief moment - we're talking a fraction of a second - the center of that chip looked like a welding rod. It was F'in bright. Of course, I was holding it in my hand, which made it a little more exciting. There was a hole probably 1/16" in diameter right through the middle of the case on that IC package. Then, came the not-so-familiar (to me) smell of fried electronics. Immediately, I had memories of when we used to clip 1W resistors onto the bench supplies back in electronics class and crank the supply voltage up until they exploded... sometimes spectacularly.

Anyway, back in the box the Maxtor went to go back to my dad to deal with. There's one Maxtor drive that never saw any data.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about "getting burned by Maxtor"! Smile

I've had good luck with mine, and I bought quite a few, before Maxtor screwed me out of some rebates. Then I switched over to Barracudas, because they got a lot cheaper, and those have been problem-free as well.

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid to late 80s, I used to work for Apple.

There was a few types of Maxtor (and Seagate) drives that used to suffer from a condition called "I.D.L" or intermittent drive lock.

What was happening was hilarious - the lubricants used were becoming more and more viscous as they aged until they were so "gluggy" the moving parts couldn't move anymore.

The solution was equally hilarious - we used to put the drives in an oven at 50C for 10 minutes, then plug them in and copy the data off quick smart and throw the old drive away.

I still think fondly of those drives .. we charged $1000 flat fee to recover people's data. I told one customer what it involved and the idiot put his whole Mac in the oven and badly burnt the case...

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliverg wrote:
Back in the mid to late 80s, I used to work for Apple.

There was a few types of Maxtor (and Seagate) drives that used to suffer from a condition called "I.D.L" or intermittent drive lock.

What was happening was hilarious - the lubricants used were becoming more and more viscous as they aged until they were so "gluggy" the moving parts couldn't move anymore.

The solution was equally hilarious - we used to put the drives in an oven at 50C for 10 minutes, then plug them in and copy the data off quick smart and throw the old drive away.

I still think fondly of those drives .. we charged $1000 flat fee to recover people's data. I told one customer what it involved and the idiot put his whole Mac in the oven and badly burnt the case...

And that of course is an "Eye D Ten T" problem. Or ID10T for short.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, please keep in mind that I've lost one Maxtor drive in the past 20 years and that was just recently. On the other hand, I've lost about four Western Digital drives, a couple of Quantum drives and no Seagate drives. Considering how many hard drives I have in my household, I would say Maxtor isn't my first choice, but then again anything I want to insure its continued existence is kept on multiple drives and on optical media.

Since the majority of you do not deem Maxtor worthy, I'll not post any more deals for them. And I never said Maxtor had anything to do with rebates, but that seems to live on in the discussion. I wonder where the "Eye D Ten T" is coming from. Smile

TV/Projector: Sony G90 X2 - Vidikron Vision 1

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan - don't do that, I enjoy your posts on cheap equipment - you sure have a good eye for finding good cheap stuff Wink

I wasn't saying Maxtor was awful or anything - I've seen a very (alarmingly) equal number of drive failures from all brands across the board.

Kind regards

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I was responding ID10T to the guy Oliver was talking about who put his whole MAC in an oven. You know me, Mr. Off Topic.

I've had a lot of Quantum failuers too. I had one Segate go t*t's up and that's about all I've lost in the last 10 years ( knock on wood )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've only ever had Seagate and WD hard drives fail.
My machines run 24/7, my main computer has been on for about 7 years and has about a TB of storage. I do lots of HD processing, making HD DVD's and such. MOST of my drives are Maxtor, with a few Seagates, and a few WD's. I've had three Seagates totally bite the dust, never to work again, two WD's did, but my Maxtors keep chugging away without any issues whatsoever.
If you are not buying Maxtors because of some internet hype, you are passing up great deals on perfectly fine drives based mostly on rumours. However, please feel free to continue doing so if it makes you happy...
ALL hard drive manufacturers have had some issues with some model drives at some point or another, there is no "magic" hard drive that never dies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: